Does anyone plan on flying 'uncoupled'?

Doggen

Space Marshal
Dec 9, 2015
RSI Handle
Doggen
Atm I use my throttle as an expensive paperweight ;) Im dual sticking so use left stick to strafe forward back and left and right. This gives me the most control over my ship in my opinion.
Strafing forward and back is essentially the same as using the throttle speedwise as far as Im aware.
Its easier for me to adjust speed quickly and and fly in reverse. I love this way of flying :)

Stevetank

Lead Aurora Theorycrafter
Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
Atm I use my throttle as an expensive paperweight ;) Im dual sticking so use left stick to strafe forward back and left and right. This gives me the most control over my ship in my opinion.
Strafing forward and back is essentially the same as using the throttle speedwise as far as Im aware.
Its easier for me to adjust speed quickly and and fly in reverse. I love this way of flying :slight_smile:
Does it feel right on all ships or just small ones?

My problem is that I fly the big ships and the small ships and nothing seems to work well for both.

Large ships have to have gimballs but gimballs don't go well with stick and mouse doesn't do as well with fixed since there's that deadzone in the middle that throws me off.

I'm looking for a good solution. I habe keyboard, mouse, pedals, throttle, and 2 sticks. So far only keyboard, mouse, plus pedals works for everything even though it doesn't feel that great.

Anyone have any suggestions? I fly decoupled and coupled.

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker
Does it feel right on all ships or just small ones?

My problem is that I fly the big ships and the small ships and nothing seems to work well for both.

Large ships have to have gimballs but gimballs don't go well with stick and mouse doesn't do as well with fixed since there's that deadzone in the middle that throws me off.

I'm looking for a good solution. I habe keyboard, mouse, pedals, throttle, and 2 sticks. So far only keyboard, mouse, plus pedals works for everything even though it doesn't feel that great.

Anyone have any suggestions? I fly decoupled and coupled.
Left stick (or throttle) + mouse. Haven't tried it yet myself, but I have heard it suggested. Would let you point your nose and guns while still strafing like a space ballerina! Theoretically.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
A wise man once said "when drunk enough, all auroras become as one"
So much wisdom.
Thinking about it, using boost fuel in SCM manoeuvring so it empties is pretty lame. Don't like it.
Wait, straffing uses boost fuel? Since when. What the Fuck. Lame.
Its easier for me to adjust speed quickly and and fly in reverse. I love this way of flying :slight_smile:
So does strafing forward/backward use boost fuel too?

Doggen

Space Marshal
Dec 9, 2015
RSI Handle
Doggen
It only uses boost fuel if you boost, so for tighter turns faster strafing or braking

Strafing forward uses main thrusters so same rules apply as when using a throttle, at least I think so.

I will try a starfarer tonight, I actually have no idea if it handles well with this setup tbh :slight_smile:

SweetDee

Vice Admiral
Jan 7, 2017
RSI Handle
SweetDee
I toggle decoupled mode often, but I don't just fly outright with it.

I just use it to set a speed, decouple, do a 180, pew pew, then couple again.

I fly with a HOTAS and have 2 analog mini-sticks on the left hand for this scenario to allow for full analog strafing.

Takeiteasy

Admiral
May 21, 2017
RSI Handle
Takeiteasy
I like to think of uncoupled as: "Flying but not where you are trying to go" because that's generally how I end up at places, I try to go to Port Olisar but head towards Crusader instead.

Reactions: Blind Owl
Forgot your password?