Does CIG need to bring in a publisher? (video)

ThunderKraken

Space Marshal
Mar 30, 2016
RSI Handle
Thunder_Kraken
I think the thing is it's the people your playing with too which is where I think test can help recreate the magic somewhat.

Ultima - my guild was amazing felt like actual family we had so many countless good times. Sadly we've all drifted apart changed phones emails ICQ gone MIRC gone so drifted away. I still miss them to this day.

Planetside was the same - awesome team able to field large units (platoons) and really have an actual effect on the whole game world.

Elite dangerous even - no real content but we made it with the clan so tight, and when powerplay was cared about before the devs killed it - it was great being able to go out in multiple groups of 4 and have an effect on the game world.

SC has the potential to have all of the above in spades with you guys especially but the out of control project creep means it's at high risk of just neverendingly doing the same as now and just eventually fading out as more and more people get fed up/bored of being in a nevernding alpha.
Thats the thing with video games now at days. Its all very self involved. Hop in ,play, get levels, gear, and do it all on your own. Nobody really cares or benefits from achievement. MMOs havent been able to recreate and nurture that magic of community involvement. People themselves generate the content. I guess SC is trying to aim for that.

Its like playing golf. Some people have a magical time playing solo which is fine, however hitting a hole in one witnessed among friends and strangers hits differently than playing by yourself. Btw i regularly make hole in ones when i play solo...

KuruptU4Fun

Vice Admiral
Dec 10, 2021
RSI Handle
KuruptU4Fun68
I would have loved the game CIG came up with prior to fully physicalized planets. It wok.d have been populated with creatures, people, plants, and all of it would have worked and worked well.

now we have barren planets devoid of almost all life, and what life is there tends to stand around on furniture.
Publishers don't enforce discipline, the threaten to pull funding if their profit margins don't appear quickly. To date CIG has only really made proof of concept for animals, nothing more. A publisher isn't going to wait or just push for minimal effort in doing so development wise, they'd say scrap it and move on to something more essential.

Thus publishers really would do nothing more then speed up the development of a poorly done modern equivalent of Privateer that wouldn't be much more than what SF is now 6 years ago

Last edited:

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
That’s the thing. A publisher can enforce discipline when it is needed. Unfortunately, CIG needed it 6 years ago. I would have loved the game CIG came up with prior to fully physicalized planets. It wok.d have been populated with creatures, people, plants, and all of it would have worked and worked well.

now we have barren planets devoid of almost all life, and what life is there tends to stand around on furniture.

But..Quantum will solve it all and make it better, right? Unfortunately, it won’t. If you want worlds to be alive and “thriving”, you need to have a good population density of creatures per square km. That means as people travel over the world, they need to be phasing the life in and out in a wide range. It’s not just 20-30 bad buys, but hundreds of creatures spread out over a 16 sq km area minimum per ship on that moon or planet. That’s at least several hundred life forms, if not a thousand or more. All being spawned in/out as the person overflys the area at 200 m/s.

Just how many servers does a game like WoW need for the eastern kingdoms on “one” server? I suspect it’s not “one”, but actually many, with each realm having 10-20 servers each, if not more, and that land area is a fraction of a single moon in SC.

i get his vision, but there also needs to be a plan and he seems to change that plan when his vision changes. Holy Grail tech usually isn’t. After all, we have been promised it before and look where we still are.

A publisher would impose strict deadlines yes, and also it would throw out 3/4 or more of the things that make Star Citizen unique and not just another shallow generic open world sandbox. Without physicalized planets, there is no Star Citizen. Without the 10 minute walk and bus ride to your ship, there is no Star Citizen. Without all the detail and immersion there's 30 year old mediocrity in a once expensive but now aging tattered suit. There's yet another NMS, ED, Fallout76 and whatever else did the same, all dead, it would just be a total unquestionable waste of time and money.

It would make money for a couple weeks or months at most until streamers influencers and the rest of the crowd got bored with it and switched to the next hype, just like it's happening with smaller niche games nowdays. Without all the things that make it "special", both in a good and bad way, it would be yet another shitty little indie game among literal millions of others, to be ignored.
It would get monetized hard, with skins and season pass and maybe even loot boxes, all the usual shit that is a must these days, and it would make the publisher some money, but it would die fast, and probably get it's servers shut off after 2 years max cos it wouldn't make any financial sense to keep it going.

Let's be real, none of us will agree exactly to the letter on what state the game should be released at, because we all want something at least a little bit different out of it.

In my view, we don't need anything complicated or super hard to achieve to happen for an official release of a proper good game, considering all the things we have in game today.
Actually it's super easy, barely an inconvenience! It's the simplest decision in the world.
FINISH WHAT YOU STARTED!
Even if it's only tier0.
Just fucking finish it!

That is all that's needed. The decision to end fucking around with reworks and redesigns and bloat, and finish up the Tier0 mechanics to work consistently and bug free. You don't need a publisher for that. You just need CR to say, this is what is happening from tomorrow onwards, 2 more years maybe, and that's it.

We would have a working reliable proper game that can be upgraded in the long run, because lets face it, apart from mining and maybe medical, NOTHING in the game reached even a tier0 implementation where it could be considered finished and built upon, even if they moved on to calling it next tier and bloating it even more adding bugs and crap. Not even the most basic things like traversal on foot works as it should, yet they are already reworking it from the ground up with a bunch of new features no one asked for.
If we would have this, features and mechanics and all actually finished to work consistently as intended, it would finally make sense to start complaining about how the game mechanics work, instead of how they do not work.
We don't need a publisher to achieve this. We just need a single decision.

Reactions: CRISS9000

CRISS9000

Space Marshal
Jul 13, 2016
RSI Handle
criss9000
In my view, we don't need anything complicated or super hard to achieve to happen for an official release of a proper good game, considering all the things we have in game today.
Actually it's super easy, barely an inconvenience! It's the simplest decision in the world.
FINISH WHAT YOU STARTED!
Even if it's only tier0.
Just fucking finish it!
all I want is for them to finish server meshing, and then implement chat features, org chat, custom locations, and the other half of salvaging.
after that focus on bugfixing and optimization so we can say our goodbyes to the absolute D̟ͩE͔̬̗̦̖̾͐ͤ̅̚M͍̙͖̓O̭̹̬̦ͨͪ̌N͎̱̮͕̱ͯ̓̐̚ that is the 30k.
the rest of the game's content can wait.

Ȃ̯̮̺ͦͫͅN͉͚̳̺̜̥ͥ̃̉̿̅ͨͤD͖̺͚͓͋̔͒ͯ͂ ̺̹̭̼̻̮̫ͬ̒̎͋ͣͧS͙̟̤̬ͤ̔ͪͦT͖O̩̮͇̰̹ͭ̐̂͌͐P̙ͬ͂̏͋͌ͧ ̘̻̠̳̾͌̾̋R̲̺͈̝̤̲ͭ͛́͒̋Ȧ̎ͦI͉̝̞̩͔ͧSͪͦͤI̖̱͉͕̙̗̯̾ͩṊ̱̪͎ͥ͂͗̇G̬̯̉͒͗ ̭̱̥̬̯̭̈́͒ͭͤT̹̖̂̍̒Ḥ͂̊ͣ̾̉̉E̥͍͂̓̅ ̲̞̘̼̾Sͬͨ͆̇È̃̂̄ͥ͛͋R͍̬͇͍͖̦V̗̐ͥ̍ͭͩ͛ͯE̫̣͔̳͖͐̽͌̃R̥̖̠ͫͤ̐ͬͭS͎̫̩̺͉͇̳̑ͪ'̫͉͖̗̈ͣ͊͒ ̝͌P̭͍̦͍̜̑͗̑̃ͭͭͮͅL̼̗͉̺̱̳̖͐̊̈́͊͊A̤̟̺̠̾ͥ̌͌̓͒̿Y̯̗̙͕̺̞̔ͥͨ̎ͩ͒É̮̦̊̋̓R͙̫̘͈͓͚͉ͨ ͚̣̼̪͌̋̀̉̚̚C̖̄ͦA̮ͧ͗͛̏̎Ṕ̻̣͚ͧ͆͗̃̆͋ ͈̳͕͔̲̃ͣ̔Ǎ̩͍̀ͤͧͦ̃̾RE̞͎̪ͭ͌ͮ̌ ̆̿͑̏ͣ̄͋Y͚͉̘͒̐ͣͅO̖̍͆U̅̔̀ͨ̌ͅ ͕̲͈͋̿T̗̘̤ͬͅR̬̝͇̮͎̰̘̔̎́̉ͧ̓YͬI̜̖̓̅͌ͧ̅͐̍N̝͔̬̲̺̯ͥ̏̔̓ͯ̂G̯̊ ̮́ͯ͗̀̍͗T̪ͮͪ̐̇̆͌̌O̬̠ͭ͌͗̽̅̈́ ̐̉̍͑͆̚S̭̘̟̝̯̉̍̏Ã͍̙͓͎̭͛̏͂ͅB̦̲̗͕͕ͭ͗̐ͫ̌͑̎Ȯ͕̰͓̘̣̽ͦŤ̜͍̰̲̭̩͑̉̅ͩ̈ͪẠ̠̻̹͔͊̈́̃ͅǦ̺͒͆̅E̳͎̜̻̘͇̻̽̆̃ ͕̦̥̱̠ͪͯ͋ͯ̑ͥY̠͙̝ͦ̂͂ͨ͌̈́Ö̪̯͍̜̼͚ͧ̽U̪͍̮ͧ͋ͫ̾ͮ͗̄R̠͓̘̔ ̲̘͎͈̉̓̅Ȍ͈̱̘̝̞W͙̮̘̻͎̮͒͛N͉̤̖ ̟̰̣̩ͭͧ̈ͯͣ̒G̙̼̮̠̘Ả̠̰M͉̩͙͇̃̎͊͆E̬͆ ͍̻͔͒ͫͦ͒H͖͈̔̄ͥͦ̄̑ͅO͖̞͉̩̱̠ͬ̓L͓͓͛͛͆̑́Y̪͙̹͚̝͎ ͓̮̪̟ͫ̓̍F̞͉̘̗͇̀̀ͨ́ͣ̃ͣṲ͈̰͉ͦ̄̇ͩ͋-̝̠̤̬̜ͪ̆̑ͬͭͅ

is that too much to ask?

• o7
Reactions: Lorddarthvik
Forgot your password?