Drake Caterpillar in Ship Shape

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
Shown here at 17m46s:

I'm a little bit disappointed about the small size, related to the Freelancer or the Hornet. I always imagined the Caterpillar as a little more "massive", bigger ship. Somewhat like 70-80% of the 'farer. What do you think about the greyboxing vid? Excited? Disappointed? Or...?

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
Caterpillar was never really billed or sold as a huge huge ship. It was originally about 70ish meters long, which looks to be fairly close. Not every ship will balloon up as much as the Starfarer did. I know a bunch of people were hyping themselves up for a 100m+ Caterpillar, whooooooopsie. I'd prefer something smaller and more manageable personally, so this suits me just fine.

It's still a big ship, probably 2 Freelancers long and some change, and longer than a Constellation (which is probably the closest comparison to the Cat IMO)

Overall I think it's coming along nicely.

I love the fact that both sides of the cargo modules pop open- will make quickly loading and offloading cargo a breeze.

I hope the frontmost module keeps the heavy duty boarding collar :)

Also very glad the 2 floor Command Module is back, I think it will work out a lot better.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
It looks fairly large to me. Larger than a Connie but smaller than the Farer.

Rolo

Vice Admiral
Donor
Apr 22, 2016
RSI Handle
RoloKipp
I'm a little bit disappointed about the small size, related to the Freelancer or the Hornet. I always imagined the Caterpillar as a little more "massive", bigger ship. Somewhat like 70-80% of the 'farer. What do you think about the greyboxing vid? Excited? Disappointed? Or...?
It's grown since concept.
I've got to say, that although I had no room for the Cat (like the Endeavor...) I do purely wish I'd picked it up long ago.
There were a lot of elements that got me excited in that video. Among them were the monitor interface, the ship hologram with personnel tracking, the tractor beam concepting and the command module layout.

This will be a honey of a ship.

That said, I do think they'll be selling it like the Endeavor, as a Base and different module sets (including a Master Set) that will be quite spendy.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I had no love for the Caterpillar when she first came out, and for many many moons after that.

Then something happened. She started to grow on me. She morphed in my chrysalis of a mind, and became a beautiful butterfly.

So I can happily say that I am very very happy to have one sitting oh so patiently in my hanger. Awaiting the fateful day when I can wander her halls, caress her hull, and guide her oh so gently into the sun.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Has there been any news on when this beautiful lady will be coming to a hanger near you?

Forgot your password?