AramSolari

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
Retracted for typing without paying attention -

Anyone taking bets on what the nerf will be? "Because it's made of Steel, it doesn't actually need any shield generators.. for balance, you understand".

@Shadow Reaper - The Hoplite has a bigger gun on the nose, 2 shields, redundant power systems and is a lot faster. In theory, it is MUCH more survivable than the Steel.

Neither one actually has good ground coverage with their weapons, despite the advertising. So.. I could probably conjecture up different scenarios where one or the other would be the better choice, but in truth neither one has any genuine in-game role right now beyond taxi.

My take after flying it is that it's a typically squishy Cutlass, just single purpose rather than the outstanding utility of the Black. It's had some small peashooters with poor firing arcs tac-welded onto the back, and stole some nice passenger seats from a downed Starliner somewhere.

Last edited:

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
The tail stinger is interesting. I am already waiting to see if my Blue becomes useful again.

I have no interest in another Cutlass, and due to the flight characteristics, am seriously considering dumping the one I have.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Because this is a Drake. Thus no armor, shields only as strong as the component you add in & held together with duct tape because they were all out of bubblegum.

Meanwhile, the Hoplite has armor, better shields & is designed to be long range.
The Cutty is 5 m/s slower than the Vanguard in SCM, and over 100 m/s faster than the Vangaurd in afterburner. They have the same range.

I just feel my beloved Vanguard has been stepped on again.

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
The Cutty is 5 m/s slower than the Vanguard in SCM, and over 100 m/s faster than the Vangaurd in afterburner. They have the same range.

I just feel my beloved Vanguard has been stepped on again.
No.

SCM is mostly irrelevant in gameplay at this time. Do not know if it will be emphasized more in the future.

The Cutlass Steel is currently limited to 900 m/s in afterburner. That's over 100 m/s slower than the Sentinel, Hoplite and Harbinger, and over 200 m/s behind the Warden. I can see the Steel getting a buff in this regard. It's worth pointing out that the Vehicle Experience Team is still working on light fighter balance; anything larger has not had proper attention as yet.

QD fuel tanks are the same size right now, so yes, that range is identical.
Did not evaluation Hydrogen range, as that is largely a matter of how the pilot uses the ship.

The one good thing about Steel is that it is 100% recyclable. Might be Drake's charitable contribution to the environmental movement.

Forgot your password?