Drake Krakens sold out in 35sec, here is the tour of the showroom floor

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I have to wonder about the buying frenzy of theses ships. Like what is the economic situation of most of these buyers ? How many end up with buyers remorse? And how bad will it be when everyone can simply buy a kraken in game eventually? Even now we see the ability to buy or even fly free most of the ships currently in game.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for supporting the development of the game buy it often seems like more fear of missing out fueled by a frenzy then I have extra spending cash I'll like to give to cig to see them be able to continue with development of a game I'm interested in.

I guess in my mind it's a weird dichotomy that CIG has created with their ship sales funding model. Their sales team is brilliant in creating artificial scarcity encouraging impulse buying. But I cannot help buy wonder how harmful it is for those who's means are limited over spending their budget on something that will inevitably lessen the value of the game they want to play by removing reward opertunities in purchasing new ships resulting in them moving on far sooner.

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
I have to wonder about the buying frenzy of theses ships. Like what is the economic situation of most of these buyers ? How many end up with buyers remorse? And how bad will it be when everyone can simply buy a kraken in game eventually? Even now we see the ability to buy or even fly free most of the ships currently in game.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for supporting the development of the game buy it often seems like more fear of missing out fueled by a frenzy then I have extra spending cash I'll like to give to cig to see them be able to continue with development of a game I'm interested in.

I guess in my mind it's a weird dichotomy that CIG has created with their ship sales funding model. Their sales team is brilliant in creating artificial scarcity encouraging impulse buying. But I cannot help buy wonder how harmful it is for those who's means are limited over spending their budget on something that will inevitably lessen the value of the game they want to play by removing reward opertunities in purchasing new ships resulting in them moving on far sooner.
That sounds like a whole lot of Anti-Capitalist Commie talk! You against Freedom or something?!

But seriously though....a lotta backers are gonna have buyers remorse when they realize they can't reasonably crew their expensive ships. I'm not sold on the whole NPC crew thing.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
I mean I know someone that lived with his mum and ate baked beans he was so skint - but had a javelin idris 890 jump etc etc.

It's all about making the correct life choices................................................................... like he did.

Garonman

Captain
Oct 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Garonman5
I mean I know someone that lived with his mum and ate baked beans he was so skint - but had a javelin idris 890 jump etc etc.

It's all about making the correct life choices................................................................... like he did.
Trying to find the fault in that guys actions. Cannot. Got himself a Javelin. Winning!

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Crazy? For helping a fellow TESTie out in a time of need? Dude, you double-wammied; a fleet and care for a fellow human, all at once. You Sir, are a TESTie, through and through!
I shall raise a glass to you this fine evening!
Doesn't disqualify us from being clinical insane.

That sounds like a whole lot of Anti-Capitalist Commie talk! You against Freedom or something?!

But seriously though....a lotta backers are gonna have buyers remorse when they realize they can't reasonably crew their expensive ships. I'm not sold on the whole NPC crew thing.
Ya. I figured if nothing else I'll enjoy flying the Polaris into the ground.

Raven_King

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jan 17, 2021
RSI Handle
Raven_King
No idea if it will turn out like this, but I really hope we can crew our big cap ships sufficiently well with NPCs to have a good time in at least some kinds of PvE gameplay that's not feasible using smaller ships. Otherwise there are going to be a LOT of Idrises, Javelins and Krakens that never leave their hangars, and some owners feeling like CIG has taken advantage of their generosity.

Equally, the more players who crew a big ship, taking over crew places from NPCs and doing their assigned tasks better, the more effective the ships should be - ideally, CIG will find a way to balance the gameplay effects of crewing so that the benefits of having real players with even modest skill in a multi-crew vessel are marginally better than having those same player flying around in their own mid- to end-game ships, nearby working toward the same goal. With practice and skill, those players should be good at their crew tasks, and be much more valuable than they could be in their own ships. Otherwise, why would anyone crew for another player long term. Role play, fun with your mates not caring about rewards, or a bit of variety and a change of pace is fun for a bit, but ultimately players will gravitate towards doing what rewards them best in-game - what helps them progress.

There have to be a lot of owners of bigger ships - I'm one - who aren't all that into PvP and likely never will be. Squadron 42 looks like it will be a lot of fun, but we'll expect something satisfying to do in the PU too, solo. My guess is that getting things right to create a satisfying PvP game is significantly harder than getting things right for PvE-focussed players will be. If that's true, spending time working on gameplay where you HAVE to crew bigger ships with real players, and making fleet battles work is absolutely the right thing to focus on first. When that gameplay is in a good place, and the bigger org pioneers with a lot of time to play with a lot of friends have helped the game get to that good place, I would imagine creating exploration, industrial and PvE combat gameplay for solo players, including those using NPCs in their bigger ships would be comparatively less difficult.

I guess us solo big ship owners are in for a longer wait, but I really do want CIG to give us something rewarding and fun to do with those big ships eventually.

Reactions: Garonman

Southern_Cross_07

Commander
Nov 22, 2023
RSI Handle
Southern_Cross_o7
I have to wonder about the buying frenzy of these ships. Like what is the economic situation of most of these buyers ? How many end up with buyers remorse? And how bad will it be when everyone can simply buy a kraken in game eventually? Even now we see the ability to buy or even fly free most of the ships currently in game.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for supporting the development of the game buy it often seems like more fear of missing out fuelled by a frenzy then I have extra spending cash I'll like to give to cig to see them be able to continue with development of a game I'm interested in.

I guess in my mind it's a weird dichotomy that CIG has created with their ship sales funding model. Their sales team is brilliant in creating artificial scarcity encouraging impulse buying. But I cannot help buy wonder how harmful it is for those whose means are limited over spending their budget on something that will inevitably lessen the value of the game they want to play by removing reward opportunities in purchasing new ships resulting in them moving on far sooner.
I suspect that many are purchased by BOTs, and will resell else-where or to Orgs :like:

Reactions: Garonman
Forgot your password?