Dual Monitor question

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
So I'm considering getting dual monitors, primarily for SC. I have an 8 gb GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition which serves me well enough for the time being but I'll probably upgrade closer to SQ42 release. Typically monitors wouldn't be replaced often so I'm wondering if I should pick up new ones now or if maybe waiting is better. I don't think the card will handle two 4K monitors but what would be a reasonable alternative that would still be decent in a few years?

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish
If you wait a bit, you might be able to get some 2k screens for really cheap and maybe even 4k if you wanted to go that route. And it doesn't matter what kind of monitor you have for the GPU (you could put a 4k monitor on a raspberry pi), it handles processing the game as monitors just show you flashy pixels with no effect. That said, trying to run above 60 FPS might strain the GPU if the monitor can handle that, which you just cap the FPS anyway.

Reactions: Bambooza

glockjs

Space Marshal
Feb 26, 2015
RSI Handle
glockjs
you can always go down from your max resolution if the card can't handle it. ie run a 4k monitor at 1080p. with tech you're always better off waiting if you don't need it now but when do you end that cycle :p

why not an ultra-wide? most can screen split these days.

Reactions: Bambooza

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
why not an ultra-wide? most can screen split these days.
If I could figure out how to do that with an ultra-wide that could work with just one monitor. I'm worried about situational awareness or my lack of it. I want to be able to actually "see" what I'm shooting at in front of me and what is behind me shooting me in the ass instead of looking to the ship instrumentation. I could take a look at 2k monitors to see if I could get a good deal on a pair and some quick reading of reviews on a few said that 144hz really makes a difference. I'm just hoping my card can handle all that

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish
If I could figure out how to do that with an ultra-wide that could work with just one monitor. I'm worried about situational awareness or my lack of it. I want to be able to actually "see" what I'm shooting at in front of me and what is behind me shooting me in the ass instead of looking to the ship instrumentation. I could take a look at 2k monitors to see if I could get a good deal on a pair and some quick reading of reviews on a few said that 144hz really makes a difference. I'm just hoping my card can handle all that

Keep an eye out for Dell S2716DG, you can usually swipe one up for around $300. It is 2k and 144hz. And for your card, you will be fine, as stated before you can just lower resolution and cap frame rates to ease the stress.

Reactions: Lorddarthvik

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Here's some "research" into higher refresh rates and what difference they might make:
View: https://youtu.be/tV8P6T5tTYs

Tldw: high refresh rates (combined with high framerates ofc) can improve you ability to react and can slightly improve your personal performance as a player. And imo they are nicer to look at.

Btw, how do you set up your two monitors? I mean, if you got two, isn't the crosshair in the middle split onto two monitors and you end up looking at the split between the monitors all the time?
Anyways, I'd rather go with the higher refresh rates and 2K.

Reactions: Cyrus_Bon

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
You can always get 4k monitors and run them in 1080. I always like to future-proof my hardware so it will last me longer.

MurderingPsycho

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 10, 2018
RSI Handle
Zombie_Bait
I don't think there is anyway to set up one for front facing and one for behind you, they will just stretch the image across the two screens putting your cross-hairs in the gap. A three monitor setup would work better than two for gaming (a buddy of mine has this and loves it), that way you aren't always looking at the bezels of the monitors when playing. I switched to an ultrawide 100 hz monitor a few months ago and don't ever want to go back (Asus PG348Q). The curve helps keep your perspective from being stretched out. My old 970 strix ran star citizen on it just fine but I had to upgrade to get higher settings in other game.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
I don't think there is anyway to set up one for front facing and one for behind you, they will just stretch the image across the two screens putting your cross-hairs in the gap. A three monitor setup would work better than two for gaming (a buddy of mine has this and loves it), that way you aren't always looking at the bezels of the monitors when playing. I switched to an ultrawide 100 hz monitor a few months ago and don't ever want to go back (Asus PG348Q). The curve helps keep your perspective from being stretched out. My old 970 strix ran star citizen on it just fine but I had to upgrade to get higher settings in other game.
^ This...I'm not aware of a set up where you can have Front on one monitor and Back on another...you just get a wider view.

I run 3 monitors...it is awesome! Be aware that need a good video card to get decent frames at 5760 x 1080; I would think 3 displays at 4k would be out of the question.

You can drop a lot of money on monitors...I would start with a decent video card first. I wouldn't go with any fancy 144Hz refresh rates yet, Star Citizen is years away from having a frame rate that would be useful with that (but, if you play other games, then maybe).

Here is a link to some shots I posted on the Wide Screen Gaming forums:

Also, re: 4k vs. 1440p vs. 1080p, here is a great Linus Tech Tips video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehvz3iN8pp4

TL;DR: 1440 is the sweet spot

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I am still wondering with VR coming along as it is if it wouldn't be better to wait a few more years and just get one of those given it has built in head tracking and a very large screen. Even if it has a cable I don't see any of us not sitting in a chair while playing SC and even if it's not full VR but just a large screen coupled with head tracking would make it worthwhile.

In the meantime, I just use a large single monitor for the game screen and a second monitor for things like discord and youtube. As for quickly looking behind you, you can always just press and hold z which allows you to look behind your ship. Not sure if there are any keyboard commands for looking left/right.

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
Oh well, if I can't monitor both directions at least getting a wider field of view would be nice. Using two monitors would put the center of the action between the two and I'd probably upgrade my card first before going to 3 monitors which may not happen until SQ42 or later. I'll keep an eye out for ultrawide screens. As to VR, how well do the goggles function for people who wear glasses? If they aren't uncomfortable I may invest in a pair in a few years

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
The Dell Gaming S2716DGR 27" and the Acer XG270HU 27" seem similar to my untrained eye but the acer is about 127 bucks less, am I not seeing something? I do see that the Dell is G-sync vs acer's freesync but I've been reading that nvidia did a patch that lets you use freesync monitors with their cards now. Also the Acer doesn't have a vesa mount option but there is an adapter you can get for 30 dollars.

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish
Yea, newer Nvidia setups can work with Freesync, although not sure which ones as not all are supported I think. Price wise though the Dell drops occasionally so keep an eye on it and track the price, and if it drops you can go for it. Acer has some good products as well so those can be recommended. Just remember, if you want higher than 60 fps, you will need to find something that has a DisplayPort connection.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
The Dell Gaming S2716DGR 27" and the Acer XG270HU 27" seem similar to my untrained eye but the acer is about 127 bucks less, am I not seeing something? I do see that the Dell is G-sync vs acer's freesync but I've been reading that nvidia did a patch that lets you use freesync monitors with their cards now. Also the Acer doesn't have a vesa mount option but there is an adapter you can get for 30 dollars.
Acer sometimes has issues with assembly quality. They do make some great value stuff, but it can be a bit shoddy sometimes. My Acer monitor (low end ips 1080p) has a great looking almost bezelles design, but the panel was glued in wrong and the top edge came loose from the bezel after a year. I have a Webcam that's clamped on top of the monitor, holding the panel in place for now lol

I'd wait for a price drop on the Dell. My work places always have Dells and those hold up really well, never had an issue with them. I'd guess it's worth it in the long run.
It might be worth noting that SC uses a lot of black on screen, so the evenness of the backlighting can be an issue. The Dells are usually pretty good with no high spots, while my cheap Acer has visible brighter spots, but this will differ monitor to monitor so look up some tests if you can.

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish
Acer sometimes has issues with assembly quality. They do make some great value stuff, but it can be a bit shoddy sometimes. My Acer monitor (low end ips 1080p) has a great looking almost bezelles design, but the panel was glued in wrong and the top edge came loose from the bezel after a year. I have a Webcam that's clamped on top of the monitor, holding the panel in place for now lol

I'd wait for a price drop on the Dell. My work places always have Dells and those hold up really well, never had an issue with them. I'd guess it's worth it in the long run.
It might be worth noting that SC uses a lot of black on screen, so the evenness of the backlighting can be an issue. The Dells are usually pretty good with no high spots, while my cheap Acer has visible brighter spots, but this will differ monitor to monitor so look up some tests if you can.
I can second this as I use a Dell S2716DG for everything gaming wise currently and have had 0 issues outisde of a few stuck pixels which is known on older revisions of the monitor, but a quick massage on the area of the screen and its gone. No issues with the bezel area as it is nonexistent and don't really notice the backlighting, and if you find a great guide to set up the monitor settings it performs and looks great once the color settings are dialed in, but out of the box is fine.

Reactions: Lorddarthvik

OzarkHippy

Space Marshal
Aug 13, 2017
RSI Handle
Galileo
Yea, newer Nvidia setups can work with Freesync, although not sure which ones as not all are supported I think. Price wise though the Dell drops occasionally so keep an eye on it and track the price, and if it drops you can go for it. Acer has some good products as well so those can be recommended. Just remember, if you want higher than 60 fps, you will need to find something that has a DisplayPort connection.
I would make sure it has 3 Display ports

Forgot your password?