East Coast Weather

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
You folks in the path of that Nor Easter, please take care. Don't go out if you don't know how to dress for that kind of weather. It's more dangerous than you think if you haven't experienced something like that before. I just don't want to hear that anyone died of exposure, or broke their neck any time soon, yanno?

Even shoveling snow can be dangerous. On a 30 foot driveway, 12 feet wide, you can shovel several tons of snow in an hour, and though you might not feel it yourself, your heart will. If you have to go on your roof to clean it off before it collapses under the weight, don't go out alone. If you fall, you can end up with a broken leg, hip or neck. I don't want to hear about that either.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
That's incredible. I've seen this on the St Lawrence river, where huge sheets of ice 3 and 4 feet thick are tossed into the air when the pressure builds up too high. It sounds like a sonic boom. CRACK! There's probably a lot more pressure behind frozen sea water when the tide comes in.

Reactions: Blind Owl and Duhb

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
Schools in Alachua County, FL, where I lived for about 5 years were pre-emptively closed on Weds and Thurs, possibly Friday as well.

They were terrified they would get up to an inch of snow.

It's 47 there right now.

God bless Florida. I'm in NC right now, calling out of work because there's an inch of ice on my driveway and I cannot get my car up the 10 degree slope without it starting to slide back lol.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I'm in NC right now, calling out of work because there's an inch of ice on my driveway and I cannot get my car up the 10 degree slope without it starting to slide back lol.
Thats the thing most people from the north don't get.

In the south we don't have salt trucks melting the roads for us. The reason they shut down everything is that pickup trucks are terrible on the ice!

A dusting of snow and you have Fords and Chevy's in the ditch every 10ft on the i95.

Sraika

Space Marshal
Nov 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Sraika
Where I am, we're going to hit -20 to -25 sometime tonight, but right now it's the same as usual. Well, it's like -10, but nothing noteworthy. The windchill is supposed to be insane though, it'll feel like -40. We're under 'extreme cold warning'.
PS: as a Canadian, all of my temperatures are in Celsius

Duhb

Admiral
Dec 4, 2017
RSI Handle
Duhb
Thats the thing most people from the north don't get.

In the south we don't have salt trucks melting the roads for us. The reason they shut down everything is that pickup trucks are terrible on the ice!

A dusting of snow and you have Fords and Chevy's in the ditch every 10ft on the i95.
In North east PA Penn Dot randomly decides they aren’t going to plow or cinder. It’s like they say wow it’s getting nasty out I’m not driving in that... sad thing is even when they do road clearing all the Frack guys from down south still stick it in the ditch. Or drive slow enough that I can kick it in neutral and walk up along side them to ask them to speed it up.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Where I am, we're going to hit -20 to -25 sometime tonight, but right now it's the same as usual. Well, it's like -10, but nothing noteworthy. The windchill is supposed to be insane though, it'll feel like -40. We're under 'extreme cold warning'.
PS: as a Canadian, all of my temperatures are in Celsius
Oh look, it's warming up. :wink:
Screenshot_20180107-001130.png

Reactions: Bambooza and Sraika

Bruce

Grand Admiral
May 23, 2017
RSI Handle
ABAP
Had to drive ~80 miles on 4th it took more than three hours ... left car outside for two days after, and it took me almost an hour to bring it back to life yesterday

Forgot your password?