Elite Dangerous - What do I need to know?

RedLir

Vice Admiral
Donor
Feb 16, 2016
RSI Handle
RedLir
I'm thinking about trying this ED out for myself, but I'm not 100% sure where to start. Any Testies have extensive experience with this game? Will I need an actual throttle or can I dual stick like SC? Any pitfalls I should look out for?

Cheers!

-RedLir

Reactions: CrudeSasquatch

Snakey

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jul 15, 2015
RSI Handle
SNKYGMG
dont fuck with annacondas, pythons or fre-di-nances when you start off. Unless u want to go back the the spawn screen

Cool-Hand-Luke

Space Marshal
Jan 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Cool-Hand-Luke
Start by watching several hours of you tube guides.
I agree with this gentlemen and watching his beginner guides is a good place to start.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRj3Q06KOxAZWHaHScrkAOw
I enjoyed hundreds of hours of ED before obtaining all the goodies I wanted. At that point it became a grind and I lost interest.
My hope for Star Citizen is that it will have so much depth that I will never lose interest.
But I would still recommend ED and looking back I would do it all over again..... no regrets.

Hadron Xon

Space Marshal
Jan 18, 2016
RSI Handle
Hadron_Xon
1. Spend a few days watching guides.
2. There is no hand holding in Elite , have patience learn the game.
3. No direction , Elite will not tell you where to go and what to do. Take advantage of that and forge your own story.
4. Space is vast and lonely . Remember that when you play elite and you will love the game and enjoy it.
5. Voice attack is your friend , If you can pick it up along with a voice pack.It will make controlling your ship so much easier.
6. Start off in solo mode.

Accented

Vice Admiral
Jan 23, 2016
RSI Handle
Accented
I completely lost interest in ED myself. I hope Star Citizen doesn't launch in a state similar to ED.
I have never played E:D, so I'm curious as to why you lost interest. Could you please explain why you hope Star Citizen doesn't launch in a state similar to E:D?

Doc Shaftoe

Space Marshal
Nov 29, 2014
RSI Handle
DocShaftoe
I've only managed to maintain interest in Elite by exploring. It's lonely, boring, and tedious to scan everything in a system as I go, but I'm roughly 200 Light Years from the populated areas. There's something tremendously cathartic about pushing outwards towards the galatic edge.

Bear in mind that this entire expedition is the result of saving and expending nearly 16,000,000 credits over about a year of intermittent play time and a pre-designated goal from the get-go. Foolishly I've set out without enough money to repurchase my ship. So I may call a premature end to the exploration and head back with what I've already got to turn it in for some "quick" cash.

Elite is a game that's all about what you as the player wants to do. Pick a goal, whatever you want from buying a Federal Corvette and becoming the scourge of the pleiades to making your way to the far side of the galaxy in a Sidewinder (which is entirely possible). Whatever you decide to do, do it. Because there's precious little else you can do at the moment.

A great way to get some decent cash and start upgrading your ship is illicit cargo. At the starter level they generally pay 10,000+ per run for one or two units of cargo.

CrudeSasquatch

Space Marshal
Jan 1, 2016
RSI Handle
CrudeSasquatch
ED is the opposite of SC in how they're releasing the game.
ED: VAST EMPTY universe with a working economy and substance coming soon?

Rainshine

Captain
Donor
Nov 13, 2014
RSI Handle
RainingLight
Don't want to shit talk the game, it's just not for me.

I lost interest nearly immediately. The flight model is a copy pasta "Microsoft Flight Sim 20XX" with more vertical maneuvering room. The game is SLOOOOOOOOW, so be prepared for that. I think they didn't like the idea of Newtonian flight, so they essentially just copied an atmospheric flight model into the game to increase "depth" and "complexity" (for all intents and purposes, there is no real Yaw in the flight model, you have to roll and pitch, like an atmo flight sim). Personally, it was a massive turnoff for me. Besides that, there really isn't much to do in the game. In terms of content, it's severely lacking; fly around, do cargo runs, grind NPCs. To be perfectly honest, I find SC PU more engaging than the entirety of ED right now.

Some people love it, good on em, I couldn't get into it at all. I still got it around, maybe if they add tons of new content I could get used to the terrabad flight model, but I don't really see it happening.

Whaleman

Commander
Jan 1, 2016
RSI Handle
whaleman
My two biggest reason for not playing ED much anymore are the flight controls (in my current ship it takes over a minute to yaw 360 degrees and half that for a full pitch rotation, and it's far from the slowest ship) and the "pointlessness" of exploration or anything. Just jump from system to system and gather raw data that tells you nothing. Compared to SC where we around one single planet can find lots of snippets of other people's lives and stories. ED is just empty. Even the missions you can get are extremely generic "get/kill # <things> to/in <station>/<system>" without much of a reason why. It's grinding at its core.

I can't quit it completely though, it's still a really well made game even if it really feels like the remake of a really old game it is.

I've played it with both hotas and dual stick and both work. You will still be frustrated with how slow your ship moves and end up running into everything when you play SC next time ;) Maybe if you control it with a dance mat it won't feel sluggish, but I doubt it.

DansAFK

Admiral
Mar 30, 2016
RSI Handle
DansAFK
I bought it on steam for full price but was annoyed when the horizons was released a month or so later for same price and included what id paid for and more. I guess I didn't research it enough before hand, but yeah I haven't played it since. Mainly because I feel bitter. The pricing for a expansion at same price as full game really annoyed me. lol

Star Citizen was always best value imo.

Snakey

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jul 15, 2015
RSI Handle
SNKYGMG
I bought it on steam for full price but was annoyed when the horizons was released a month or so later for same price and included what id paid for and more. I guess I didn't research it enough before hand, but yeah I haven't played it since. Mainly because I feel bitter. The pricing for a expansion at same price as full game really annoyed me. lol

Star Citizen was always best value imo.
I bought horizons and i was like "lets look at the reviews!"

1st review: not recommended
"Surely thats just a troll!" I said hastily

2nd review: not reccomended

3rd review: not recco... "For fuck sake!" xD

Forgot your password?