Elon Musk or: how I learned to stop worrying and love the Falcon Heavy.

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
The red arrow is me standing in the middle of the ocean with 6 grand worth of sensitive electronics slung over my shoulder. The people out there were insane. There definitely was at least one dropped camera. Completely worth it!

Reactions: Sraika and Bambooza

Sraika

Space Marshal
Nov 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Sraika
Had the interview. Everything went great. Awesome team, amazing work and I got to tour the Facility and stand atop the Historic 39A launch pad on which I would be working. Seeing the boosters up close in the hangar was absolutely amazing. On my drive home however I made the decision not to take the job. I'm not as young as I think I am and essentially the role, tasks and responsibilities would have been greater than anything I have ever had before in my life. They keep their team extremely small and give you so much leeway in the development of what you are working on with the engineers. It's absolutely amazing, I just know I can't throw myself into something that I know will absolutely burn me out. I see it happening quick simply because I will have no upper limits to keep myself from slowing down. They liked me so much they called me back asking if I would be interested in a temp position, even something in a slightly different role. They were so awesome they told me I have their number and if I change my mind within the next few months or even year or two, to give them a call back. If you have read my mental health posts, I had to make a decision based on what I know of myself. I can't believe how accommodating they have been though. I love that they gave me the option to give me time to think about it. I think the company is more based on heart than most I have heard about in the past. It wasn't a bunch of elon musk fan boys, a lot of guys seemed worn and grizzled and the team I was interviewing with was a group of young veterans with a wealth of experience. It was a damn hard decision but I honestly feel I made the right one.
Damn, that's pretty nice of em! Too bad you couldn't take it, but sometimes life has to come first, eh?

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
So they contacted me again earlier in the week and this time I just said fuck it, lets do this. I just received my formal offer today. I'm terrified and excited at the same time. Thank you guys for all of your support. :)

Reactions: Sraika and Bambooza

Sraika

Space Marshal
Nov 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Sraika
So, it's been like 6 months and my experience so far has been absolutely amazing. I have learned so much and have met so many great people. I'm updating this post because something insane is happening in my life right now, and none of my family really understands (they still think I work for NASA, theyre all over 70 though) but I know some of you do, and those I've been talking to on Discord, thank you for the support and listening to me freak out! My team lead put my name into the box last year when the dragon engineer was looking for people to fill a fairly new position on the Dragon team. Well, I had my first Interview yesterday and it went pretty well, but I have 2 more to go through, which might take till the end of february or early march. I'm a bit overwhelmed to say the least, but confident I can rise to the occasion. It involves complete ownership of Dragon 2 and most of Dragon 1. I will have to know how to operate the dragon avionics systems and fluid systems like they are the back of my hand, without assistance for a multitude of development tests, research and operational checkouts. If theres instrumentation on the pads that directly interface with the dragon, we build it. If something goes wrong, we fix it. If we need to make changes, I suggest them and work with the engineers to come up with solutions. It's an R&D team to be honest. We suit up the astronauts, teach them the systems, and were the closeout crew before launch. Were also out on the recovery boat when they land. I kinda don't believe I've been presented with this opportunity, but obviously someones looking out for me. Ive worked with a few of the guys already, and some say its a no brainer to bring me on. I honestly am not getting my hopes up though, because they are looking for the absolute best person for this position and If I'm not it, I completely respect that. VP pence and Gwynne Shotwell were on the pad with us last month for the GPS 3 launch, putting everything into perspective. The world is watching. Again, it's overwhelming, but so so exciting and as I said, a challenge I am more than ready to rise to. If I don't get it, I still have opportunities to do great and exciting things in this company, but if I do I'll be working on humanities spaceship. I was asked "who do you think will be working on BFR and Starship?" *chills*

Thank you for reading this if you have. This year has been fucking crazy, I kinda wonder if I'm going to wake up :P I was asked what my dream job would be in the interview. Without hesitation, I said this is it. Obviously.

Edit: I also forgot to mention operating the systems in space while in the control room.

View attachment 11648
that is really really cool!
good luck!

Reactions: Bambooza
Forgot your password?