Email from TEST caught in spam filter

dubbzy

Admiral
Dec 23, 2014
RSI Handle
dubbzy104
Well its good to know I'm not the only one. I figured it was to use Discord and safe to ignore. I was just unsure because of the wrong name thing. Thanks for convincing me it is safe to go outside! I"M NOT AFRAID ANYMORE

TexasSkulls

Identifies as an Aurora Missile
Donor
Jul 18, 2015
RSI Handle
TexasSkulls
Prime opportunity to share a funny story of how things can go wrong:

I ran a small business while in college that needed some custom web development work done. We got quoted at $60k from a US company, so needless to say we said "Screw you!" So I did the next logical thing and learned PHP/HTML/jQuery, etc. and made the website myself (I'd had some programming background already, so it wasn't so crazy a leap). It needed to accept credit card payments, serve as a content management system, do more complex route management (think drivers with 100s of addresses to serve), and so on. I finally overcame all of that, and put out a "decent" product for a first-time developer (www.tcugameday.com for anyone that's interested; all custom, no "plugins").

Long story short(er), after all this learning and first-time development that went well, we one day had the need to send a mass mailer out to all of our customers, to include: our university's athletic director, chancellor, dean of the business school, etc. I learned about some PHPMail plugin or some crap, and decided this would do. Welp... I did not know that you either have to "clear" the recipients list before each email, or re-instantiate the class between each email. Instead, I had the .php script simply create a single class instance, add a sender, send the mail, then add a new sender, and send the next mail, and so on.

Our first email went out just fine; it was addressed to a single person and only they received it. The second email, though, simply appended the new recipient to the recipients list. So the first customer and second customer got the email only the second customer should've received. Well, fast forward to our ~500th customer, and we had now sent out a total of 125,250 emails to 500 people, with the first customer receiving 500 total emails, the second customer receiving 499, and so forth... OOPS! I think I spent the next two days answering phone calls, most laughing with/at me, some pissed off.

It must be my destiny that I'm a part of TEST now!

Cervos

Vice Admiral
Donor
May 20, 2015
RSI Handle
Cervos
I got one for BlueFalcon...

...I wonder who got mine?
Yep I got BlueFalcon too

im not really sure what it says about me, or TEST, but I actually assumed addressing me by the wrong handle was intentional. Have we reached "peak incompetence" where anything we try to do right will be screwed up anyway, so the only way to succeed is to try to screw everything up, and accidentally make shit work?

Reactions: Harkuno

dubbzy

Admiral
Dec 23, 2014
RSI Handle
dubbzy104
Prime opportunity to share a funny story of how things can go wrong:

I ran a small business while in college that needed some custom web development work done. We got quoted at $60k from a US company, so needless to say we said "Screw you!" So I did the next logical thing and learned PHP/HTML/jQuery, etc. and made the website myself (I'd had some programming background already, so it wasn't so crazy a leap). It needed to accept credit card payments, serve as a content management system, do more complex route management (think drivers with 100s of addresses to serve), and so on. I finally overcame all of that, and put out a "decent" product for a first-time developer (www.tcugameday.com for anyone that's interested; all custom, no "plugins").

Long story short(er), after all this learning and first-time development that went well, we one day had the need to send a mass mailer out to all of our customers, to include: our university's athletic director, chancellor, dean of the business school, etc. I learned about some PHPMail plugin or some crap, and decided this would do. Welp... I did not know that you either have to "clear" the recipients list before each email, or re-instantiate the class between each email. Instead, I had the .php script simply create a single class instance, add a sender, send the mail, then add a new sender, and send the next mail, and so on.

Our first email went out just fine; it was addressed to a single person and only they received it. The second email, though, simply appended the new recipient to the recipients list. So the first customer and second customer got the email only the second customer should've received. Well, fast forward to our ~500th customer, and we had now sent out a total of 125,250 emails to 500 people, with the first customer receiving 500 total emails, the second customer receiving 499, and so forth... OOPS! I think I spent the next two days answering phone calls, most laughing with/at me, some pissed off.

It must be my destiny that I'm a part of TEST now!
How do you think the 'toads will do this year? I don't see them sticking at 3 the whole year (but I also don't follow NCAA football that religiously)

Designated Drunk

Space Marshal
Feb 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Designated_Drunk
It looks like our forums has Alzheimers and does not know whose email is whose. Hamsters responsible for taking care of the mental health of server has been fired and executed.
This is disturbing news and is not at all what was anticipated - in TEST fashion, I fully expected said hamsters to be promoted to management positions with a generous sunflower seed bonus.

Just now, I decided to report this [CONCERN] via the normal channels, but the suggestion box located in the TEST break room has been stuffed to overflowing. I am assuming that this is because Glorious Leader has not been emptying it occasionally, or because its normal conduit has itself become faulty.

So, as a proactive, industrious, go-getter of a TESTie (and more to the point, one who had exhausted his supply of alcohol after his state stops liquor sales), I took it upon myself to open said suggestion box and present the suggestions to those in a position of power to consider them:
1) "Please put beer in the soda machine."
2) "Could we please get beer instead of soda in the machine?"
3) "You know what would make 5 variations of Coke even better? Replacing them all with beer."
4) "Who the hell put Chile Limón flavored Funyuns in the snack machine? I'd rather eat whatever's been trapped in the hot tub filters on Montoya's Phoenix. Srsly. Okay, not really. I'd be cool with Sun Chips, if they even make those anymore. Those are only kinda gross, at least."
5) "Hey, does anyone actually read this? If you do, signify by putting beer in the soda machine."
6) "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boJUST GIVE US BEER IN THE DAMN MACHINE"
7) "beer. machine. give. now."
8) "Tab? Seriously, f***ing Tab. I could sell this s*** on Etsy as hipster bait and quadruple my money. Has the machine not been re-stocked since the Carter administration or something? How about giving us some beer? Even something from that ridiculous "less filling, tastes great" campaign - would be fresher than this garbage."

I've got a lot more suggestion slips to go through, but I'm already sensing a pattern here. Other than the Funyuns comment (I yearn for Andy Capp's BBQ Fries in the snack machine, myself), it seems that a request for beer in the drink vending machine is the overwhelming demand of TESTies. I hope that upper management (including singed, yet functional hamsters) take note of these requests to improve our fine organization.

Jul 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Salt_Lake
Mine was adressed to a greg foster. I dont know who you are but i instantly hate you.

Reactions: mromutt

TexasSkulls

Identifies as an Aurora Missile
Donor
Jul 18, 2015
RSI Handle
TexasSkulls
How do you think the 'toads will do this year? I don't see them sticking at 3 the whole year (but I also don't follow NCAA football that religiously)
Uhh I hope they stay at the top and get their shot at the playoffs, but the Minnesota game looked like shit... Time will tell. They do have a really good team, now they just have to execute.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
apparently I am not spam-qualified

Forgot your password?