Esperia Should Restore the Redeemer

Vahl K. Rii

Admiral
Donor
Jun 5, 2018
RSI Handle
VKR-13
I've been thinking a lot about the Redeemer on how the ship no longer fits in it's current manufacturer's aesthetic and while I've had the belief that Esperia should take on the ship as part of their fleet, I've never had any real reason besides "It kinda looks like a Prowler?" until recently.

Before I ramble, let me set up some assumptions.
1: The ship uses alien tech. The ship is human engineered; but it does use alien technology as is observable by it's extreme wing design and the hover plates on it's belly.
2: The ship hasn't been released yet, and was never going to be due to political reasons. Throughout history we've seen vehicles that are perfectly functioning and advanced for their time become political hostages and end up never making it to the production lines.
3: There were multiple variants of the Redeemer.

The ship is extreme in both looks and function. Built to be a ground-hugging Gunboat/Drop-ship, it was originally designed as an Aegis Dynamics ship. As stated in the referenced reverse the verse at 16 minutes, Aegis has moved on from that sort of design schema to what they currently have, leaving the Redeemer behind. While this is a problem for keeping both it's looks and it's heritage, Esperia is already known for obtaining discarded blueprints of collector ships. And while - yes - It will be an Esperia ship on a brochure, the ship itself can still have come from Aegis Dynamics. In corporate history, it's been observed quite a few times where a body will make things that don't quite look like their current lineup, and leave them in the dust.

Esperia is not only about rare and historical ships, but alien ships too. While the Redeemer isn't an alien vessel, it definitely hints that it uses it, or at least takes a lot of influence from them. Personally; I see a lot of the Taverin building style in this ship. While it definitely isn't anything like a Prowler, it has a lot of similarities, namely the anti-gravity nodes and the fish-tail rudder. I would not find it hard to believe that Esperia would be interested in obtaining such a ship, if not a little curious about it's story.

Finally, I'm going to call upon some player-made lore, Makdo wrote a great post on a lost prototype found in a desert shack and the Nomad who, eventually, sought out the truth from a retired Aegis engineer. While it isn't directly a reason why it should become an Esperia-buiilt ship, this was the hammer that drove me to write why Esperia should restore the Redeemer. I'm passionate for the Redeemer. I want the ships to stay as is, with little to no aesthetic changes and while I can part with it's use as a drop-ship, I cannot part ways from those sexy anti-gravity nodes and it's scissor thrusters. It's an exotic, something that Esperia is built around.

Esperia Should Restore the Redeemer.

references:
OP -- https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/65292/thread/esperia-should-restore-the-redeemer
Reverse the Verse(Redeemer redesigning) --
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF7GF4W12JE&t=960s

Makdo's accounts of the forgotten hangar -- https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/65292/thread/nomad-discovers-forgotten-hangar
Esperia's Portfolio -- https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/spectrum-dispatch/16959-Portfolio-Esperia

O-Lefty

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 12, 2016
RSI Handle
O-Lefty
Oh. My. God. Those alien lovers better not get their hands on the Redeemer!

I'd rather see it get a bit more blocky and become an Anvil attack helicopter kind of ship to compliment the Valkyrie.

BUT! As long as the ship comes out and it's bad-ass I don't mind.

188Octane

Sabre Addict
Jun 2, 2016
RSI Handle
188Octane
As an Aegis fanboy, I don't think there's one standard "Aegis design aesthetic"... more like four different ones depending on the group of ships. I think the Redeemer fits well in the Aegis line and think they should just rework it to solve the system issues and release it as originally planned.

Kiladyn

Vice Admiral
Dec 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Kiladyn
As an Aegis fanboy, I don't think there's one standard "Aegis design aesthetic"... more like four different ones depending on the group of ships. I think the Redeemer fits well in the Aegis line and think they should just rework it to solve the system issues and release it as originally planned.
I understand the Aegis fanboy, I am-ish as well. I keep loving Aegis but there are some Anvil ships that I cant get enough of. cough Carrack cough
I think the only way they could really keep it Aegis, in my mind, its to create at least one other similar looking ship. This way Aegis could "market" the ships as getting away from their shady past and paving the way for the future.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I love all this, but still think for the Redeemer to keep pace with what's been offered since, it needs twin S5 turrets and S2 missiles, and LOTS of speed. Hot and impossible to stealth out, but big guns and 300/1100m/s would make that bird really intriguing.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I love all this, but still think for the Redeemer to keep pace with what's been offered since, it needs twin S5 turrets and S2 missiles, and LOTS of speed. Hot and impossible to stealth out, but big guns and 300/1100m/s would make that bird really intriguing.

This is what keeps killing the Redeemer, the fans keep trying to make it to powerful and capable. While it can have some best in class features it has to be countered by strong weaknesses. I keep hearing how it needs to be a gunship, a drop ship have cargo plates and be capable of out running a M50. So whats its weakness? How can they balance that and make it fair to the other ships with in the same size range like the Freelancer, Cutlass, Avenger, Hull B, Vanguard, Mercury or Valkyrie?

As for Esperia taking on the Redeemer is they already have the stealth drop ship, the Prowler, unless your suggesting the Redeemer drops the capabilities of being a drop ship and fully embraces the role of being a Gunship Patrol boat on par with the Freelancer MIS just being more a gun boat instead of a missile boat like the MIS.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
This is what keeps killing the Redeemer, the fans keep trying to make it to powerful and capable. While it can have some best in class features it has to be countered by strong weaknesses. I keep hearing how it needs to be a gunship, a drop ship have cargo plates and be capable of out running a M50. So whats its weakness? How can they balance that and make it fair to the other ships with in the same size range like the Freelancer, Cutlass, Avenger, Hull B, Vanguard, Mercury or Valkyrie?
The Redeemer won best design for a gunship. CIG stipulated that the weakness had to be it was turret blind in at least one direction, which it is. It was designed to be a blazingly fast and powerful, however totally unstealthy gunboat. It is all that.

However, since the time of the Redeemer design and sales (players already paid for the thing!) the Hammerhead and Valkyrie have both supplanted its place. The Vanguards were never in contention--they are not gunships, and neither are the Freelancer, Cutlass, Mercury or any of the Hull series. The Avenger is technically a fighter, and none of these rest are military designs. If your complaint is the military designs are too capable in marshal roles as compared to civilian designed craft, that is based upon a misunderstanding of what military craft are. Freelancers and Culasses are transports with guns, not military craft.

The Redeemer is a military craft--expensive to own and fly, and not capable of earning pesos outside military service. That was the design spec for the competition--a gunboat. CIG needs to have a plan what to do for the folk who bought them.

Putting such big guns on the Hammerhead changed everything. The Redeemer needs an update, IMHO; as does the Polaris and Carrack. I'd like to see the Polaris get twin S6 turrets and an S7 chin mount. There were no S7 weapons planned until the Kraken came onsceen, and if they're going to do bigger turret guns, the other big cap ships need to reflect this. Note, even the Carrack is a military ship, and though light on guns, they were big by comparison at the time it was designed and sold.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mich Angel

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
However, since the time of the Redeemer design and sales (players already paid for the thing!) the Hammerhead and Valkyrie have both supplanted its place. The Vanguards were never in contention--they are not gunships, and neither are the Freelancer, Cutlass, Mercury or any of the Hull series. The Avenger is technically a fighter, and none of these rest are military designs. If your complaint is the military designs are too capable in marshal roles as compared to civilian designed craft, that is based upon a misunderstanding of what military craft are. Freelancers and Culasses are transports with guns, not military craft.

I believe you are miss understanding the comparison, I did not say they were military craft simply saying that the ship size range is in between combat fighters like the hornet/Saber and smaller then ships like the Constellation. (Not really a combat ship in between the Hornet and the Hammerhead currently, the closest being the Freelancer MIS). But even still I was not trying to compare the ship as a military craft but as a game play element in a multiplayer situation. Which dictates the stronger it gets in one area the weaker it needs to be in all other areas and not just in having a limited blind spot. You cannot have a super fast heavy hitting gun ship that can also transport crew and cargo without making the other ships just as capable and then you end up with lots of the same ship in different skins.

It is, they talked about that during the Valkyrie info release. It's no longer a dropship, it's becoming a dedicated gunship.
I saw this too much to the dismay of may Redeemer owners if spectrum is to be believed. I have a feeling in the end the Redeemer will end up being similar in flight characteristics of the Freelancer MIS, perhaps a little more agile and a slightly higher top speed with more of a focus on the guns instead of missiles. I personally would like it to keep the drop ship capability of holding 5 to 6 marines but I have a feeling that will get dropped to make it purely a gunship with the strength of two super hornets.

Putting such big guns on the Hammerhead changed everything. The Redeemer needs an update, IMHO; as does the Polaris and Carrack. I'd like to see the Polaris get twin S6 turrets and an S7 chin mount. There were no S7 weapons planned until the Kraken came onsceen, and if they're going to do bigger turret guns, the other big cap ships need to reflect this. Note, even the Carrack is a military ship, and though light on guns, they were big by comparison at the time it was designed and sold.
I agree, and I feel we can expect the mid and large ships to get bigger guns as they start to come online and play balanced. Right now everything is still balanced around the fighters and the tweaks they made came out of the Arena where they have a good set of metrics. But I do not believe will see meaningful balance of the larger ships until the modular system is fully implemented until then I fully expect the larger ships to be fairly weak in comparison.

Vahl K. Rii

Admiral
Donor
Jun 5, 2018
RSI Handle
VKR-13
I saw this too much to the dismay of may Redeemer owners if spectrum is to be believed. I have a feeling in the end the Redeemer will end up being similar in flight characteristics of the Freelancer MIS, perhaps a little more agile and a slightly higher top speed with more of a focus on the guns instead of missiles. I personally would like it to keep the drop ship capability of holding 5 to 6 marines but I have a feeling that will get dropped to make it purely a gunship with the strength of two super hornets.
I consider the MIS to be a support ship for large scale engagements. The redeemer is probably going to fill the roll in-between the valkyrie and the vanguard, where the vanguard is more akin to a A-10 and the valkyrie being similar to a well armed V-22. the redeemer would probably take on an apache roll; constant presence on the field with decent, but not a 360 degree attack field. Don't want another HH, but I do want something that is more adept close down to the ground.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Think this is a great idea! you got my sopport on this ; )

CHEERS!

Reactions: Vahl K. Rii
Forgot your password?