EVE: Valkyrie - Anyone playing?

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
So my OR CV1 arrived today, and I've just installed EVE: Valkyrie.

I have to say, I really hate CCP. Truly.

But EVE: Valkyrie is amazing! I only have about an hour in it so far, but wow. Immersive? They need to come up with a new word for it, because this sets a new bar.

I made myself a female character. When I'm flying, and I look down... I have tits.

I'm not sure why I'm wearing clothes though. That confuses me.

But WOW is all I can say. WOW.

Back to the game.

Murderer

Space Marshal
Jun 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Murderer
Dude!!! I was gonna wait for someone to say something!! I've been playing it for about a week and can't even begin to describe how it feels looking out the windows and everything, whole different level of experience and detail!!! I dislike CCP, but they did a great job on Valkyrie and can't complain that I got this gem for free as well.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Mog_No_1

Captain
Donor
May 3, 2016
RSI Handle
I wish I was, have my OR on backorder.....:(
That seems to be the IT thing to play in VR from what I've seen, lucky bastards. Does it make you dizzy or anything spinning about in those ships?
The bigger question, have you tried SC with the OR? Think there is support?

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
I wish I was, have my OR on backorder.....:(
That seems to be the IT thing to play in VR from what I've seen, lucky bastards. Does it make you dizzy or anything spinning about in those ships?
The bigger question, have you tried SC with the OR? Think there is support?
I have a DK1 - it makes my dizzy.

Even the DK2 makes me a little dizzy.

With the CV1 I have not had any problems with VR/motion sickness, though my wife still can't stand to wear it.

Haven't tried SC. The kinds of things that make you really sick are when the CPU forces you to make movements that you don't control, like when the SC avatar climbs up into a ship and moves all around wobbling etc trying to sit down. That kind of motion makes me wretch and I refuse to use VR for SC until that stuff is removed from the VR experience.

The way EVE: Valkyrie is written, you _never_ get out of your ship. So your avatar is sitting stationary the entire time.

When flying and making really hard turns, you still get the sense of motion, however your ship is very visible around you, similar to in SC, to give you a frame of reference of being stationary, and so that's enough for my brain to say OK, I'm not really moving even though it looks like I am.

Very well done.

I hope SC revisits VR before too long and cleans up their experience too.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
The way EVE: Valkyrie is written, you _never_ get out of your ship. So your avatar is sitting stationary the entire time.
Have you tried Elite Dangerous?

I spent a good many hours with the DK2 in that.

Same experience Im guessing, you are fixed in the cockpit and perfect for VR.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
So you got this game with the VR right? I can't actually buy it without VR can I?

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
So you got this game with the VR right? I can't actually buy it without VR can I?
Yes, I got it with the Oculus Rift CV1.

I do not think it's possible to buy it unless you get it from the Oculus store - it seems to be a 100% VR product. I could be wrong.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
*sobs*

I watched the video it does look pretty darn epic.

Murderer

Space Marshal
Jun 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Murderer
IMHO, I like aspects of both headsets. I like the Oculus for its simplicity, lightweight, single cord off of headset and the built in audio. I also like that it connects directly to HDMI and USB 3.0. Dislikes/Concerns about the Oculus... It has been said an additional camera module will be needed for room scale which kinda irks me a little which I'll get at in a moment.

HTC Vive likes are that atlthough both companies suffered some sort of shipping fiasco in the beginning, HTC came through on their promise to me. Some people received theirs before the 7th, mine was shipped on the 7th which was what I had originally imagined would be the date of shipment.
I like that it launched with native steam support; which has been sorted, and the fact there is an app for my phone so I am not too disconnected from my surroundings. Speaking of, the chaperone system was definitely one of the strengths I feel Vive had over Oculus. Another is the controllers for the Vive, they feel natural and there is definitely no lag in the inputs. Finally the lighthouse boxes require no connection to the PC and simply just use a power source, which is what I was griping about with the Oculus using usb cameras for this function. Dislikes/Concerns about the HTC... Heavy and triple cable attached to the back make this headset seem to fatigue the user faster. To sum it up, I sometimes wish I was having a Vive experience with the Oculus headset w/Chaperone and Vive Lighthouses...That would be the best of both worlds for me.

Mog_No_1

Captain
Donor
May 3, 2016
RSI Handle
IMHO, I like aspects of both headsets. I like the Oculus for its simplicity, lightweight, single cord off of headset and the built in audio. I also like that it connects directly to HDMI and USB 3.0. Dislikes/Concerns about the Oculus... It has been said an additional camera module will be needed for room scale which kinda irks me a little which I'll get at in a moment.

HTC Vive likes are that atlthough both companies suffered some sort of shipping fiasco in the beginning, HTC came through on their promise to me. Some people received theirs before the 7th, mine was shipped on the 7th which was what I had originally imagined would be the date of shipment.
I like that it launched with native steam support; which has been sorted, and the fact there is an app for my phone so I am not too disconnected from my surroundings. Speaking of, the chaperone system was definitely one of the strengths I feel Vive had over Oculus. Another is the controllers for the Vive, they feel natural and there is definitely no lag in the inputs. Finally the lighthouse boxes require no connection to the PC and simply just use a power source, which is what I was griping about with the Oculus using usb cameras for this function. Dislikes/Concerns about the HTC... Heavy and triple cable attached to the back make this headset seem to fatigue the user faster. To sum it up, I sometimes wish I was having a Vive experience with the Oculus headset w/Chaperone and Vive Lighthouses...That would be the best of both worlds for me.
Id agree with you, I think the Rift is the better headset but the Vive is the better overall package currently. Obviously the Rift will only get better with the touch controllers and more cameras when they come out later. Vive however is as good as it gets. In the end this is a 1st gen consumer product and I'm sure both parties will learn alot from eachother when round 2 comes in a few years down the track. Just wish Oculus would get their shit together so I can have my unit. Needs to be some sackings at Oculus for this whole supply debacle. Think they make them in Ireland, thats probably your issue right there, bloody Irish! LOL :rolleyes:

Murderer

Space Marshal
Jun 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Murderer
BTW, anyone who ends up with Gen 1 Oculus...The cord is capable of unplugging from behind the foam on the headset. I can't tell you how awful I felt thinking I had a "bricked" headset without understanding what I did to break it.

Mog_No_1

Captain
Donor
May 3, 2016
RSI Handle
BTW, anyone who ends up with Gen 1 Oculus...The cord is capable of unplugging from behind the foam on the headset. I can't tell you how awful I felt thinking I had a "bricked" headset without understanding what I did to break it.
So was it actually broken or just partially unplugged with an easy fix once you worked it out?

Bishop

Space Marshal
Jul 21, 2014
RSI Handle
Macr0
Will start to play as soon as the Oculus arrives.
Hopefully only a couple of days remaining, after this long wait.

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
Is that one of the games blocked by the Oculus exclusivity BS? I have a Vive, but Elite Dangerous kinda sucks these days, so I'd like to play Valkyrie...

Forgot your password?