Exploring the Unknown - Ship Talk #1 - Updated!

Which of these exploration ships do you see yourself using or crewing most?

• 315P

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Freelancer DUR

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • Constellation Aquila

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • Carrack

Votes: 13 39.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
Something that came up on Mumble last night, the Vanguard may be an excellent exploration ship as well, especially if it can be flown solo effectively. It's supposed to be very durable, have extended range, and sleeping accommodations. I'm guessing as a long-range fighter/scout, it will have a decent scanner setup, and can probably be upgraded with minimal fuss. It'll be interesting seeing how it stacks up with the existing contenders.

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
Something that came up on Mumble last night, the Vanguard may be an excellent exploration ship as well, especially if it can be flown solo effectively. It's supposed to be very durable, have extended range, and sleeping accommodations. I'm guessing as a long-range fighter/scout, it will have a decent scanner setup, and can probably be upgraded with minimal fuss. It'll be interesting seeing how it stacks up with the existing contenders.
Now this is something to talk about, re purposing other ships in non standard roles they would not normally occupy if given enough love and attention on upgrades. We don't have much info on the Vanguard aside what you just said but I'm thinking it'll be between the size of a Super Hornet and a Cutlass based on description alone. Totally agree that it will be interesting to see how it stacks up to the other ships that way.

Until then, gonna keep going off the paper stats and draw conclusions from them.

Halvix

Space Marshal
Donor
Mar 15, 2015
RSI Handle
Halvix
I was honestly expecting the 315P to get many more votes than it has now but it may just not be good enough for any real ops and may take other roles yet to be identified. I stick by my assertion though that it will be useful in some exploration role.
My guess is that not many people plan to be exploring alone. It would make a great support ship for mining fleets though.

And of course, the bigger ships have space toilets... that's a must have on any long space voyage. If you drink lots of beer you need to urinate somewhere!

Feral Oxide

Grand Admiral
Mar 13, 2015
RSI Handle
FeralOxide
The salesman told me that the 315p was the best way to take my cut from the divorce and flee the planet. Explore in style he said. Beer Fridge, he said. Pee in a cup, he said. Luckily I was drunk enough to fall for his fancy talk and pretty brochures, and left the show room with my new baby. She and I will drink and explore where ever the hell we can, always nosing towards the next bar or growler fill station. I've been promised an Aurora when I complete my tour of duty and I'll use that to crash endlessly into the sun. My 315p I'll save for special occasions and crash endlessly into more high brow targets like Supernovas or Superhornets, whichever come first.

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
Just a final wrap up on this and the poll results.

Freelancer DUR and Carrack are in the lead with 12 each while the Aquila is trailing just behind at 10.The 315P is a distant 3rd with 6 votes even though it has black and yellow painted on it. I want to thank everyone for reading and voting and hope you enjoyed this. Ship Talk #2 has been posted here to check out.

Again thank you all for making this possible. It felt good to stretch the writing muscles again.

Halvix

Space Marshal
Donor
Mar 15, 2015
RSI Handle
Halvix
The 315P is a distant 3rd with 6 votes even though it has black and yellow painted on it.
No matter what ship I'm flying I plan to customize the skin(if and when possible) to black and yellow.

I want to thank everyone for reading and voting and hope you enjoyed this.

Again thank you all for making this possible. It felt good to stretch the writing muscles again.
Thank you for the informative write ups! They are well written and I very much appreciate the time you've taken to create Ship Talk!

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim
In space, BIGGER = BETTER, no matter what you do.

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
after the divorce I was able to scrounge enough to get a aurora LN. with as little freight hauling and light exploring I bought a mustang beta ( I love that little ship. its like a camper) now I have a fleet of exploration ships with the freelancer dur and a carrack. Now I feel like I can start a you tube series of Star Citizen, Expedition Unknown. kinda a cross between expedition unknown and space balls.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Varku

Space Marshal
Apr 21, 2016
RSI Handle
Varku
i would love to add at leaxt one horable mention here: the Relliant Sen.
With it's advanced Sensor suite, and some long range abilitys, (propaly even a jump-engine) it would be a great ship for exploring a System.
You can call it a Sister of the 315p.
The 315p focus on Jump-Point exploration, while the Sen focus on exploring what can be found behind that jump-point.
If i have to choose between a 315p and a Sen for finding Materials of Value in an Asteriod belt, i would choose the Sen.

thanatos73

Space Marshal
Nov 21, 2014
RSI Handle
thanatos1973
I agree, the Sen sounds like it would be better suited for "prospecting" than the 315p. Scanning planets, and asteroid fields, maybe having an EVA mining rig for sampling the deposits. I wonder if the variants will go on sale again when 2.4 drops, if the Kore is hangar/flight ready.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
there are no bad necros

when you necro a lame thread, people say, "Ooh, look how much the forums have improved!"

Reactions: Blind Owl

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
There is always a chance. Just like there is a chance of Mt. Rainer erupting tomorrow. For a serious answer, I don't want to retread old stuff unless there is really a good reason to.
So how about a revamp as the ships are reworked? Purty Please.

Forgot your password?