Extensive explanation about what dynamic server meshing does

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
LOL I see you are an equal opportunity 'mesher'. LOL
Wow! Love the one on the left. Yes, that left. The one with the tray........
I would server her mesh any time......
My FPS is increasing already..........
I've been known to mistake those with whom I wish to mesh. While wearing mesh. It can get...

Meshy.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Oh I was waaaaaaaaaay off. Wrong servers, wrong mesh . . .
View attachment 17298View attachment 17299
Well, now we know how the Corona is getting around so easily. *Points to the lime topped Corona on the serving girl's tray.* We also now know why it started to spread again when the bars opened back up.

LOL I see you are an equal opportunity 'mesher'. LOL
Wow! Love the one on the left. Yes, that left. The one with the tray........
I would server her mesh any time......
My FPS is increasing already..........
Be careful my friend, she's carrying Corona, are you sure that her deadly good looks are worth that risk? There are other beers to enjoy after all.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
This was posted on Spectrum by a backer named @unobtanium, he went to the trouble of researching and creating this presentation.

If you are really interested in understanding what server meshing is supposed to do, you are in luck!

https://prezi.com/view/l5DorjAy1dUz8BoDnuoF/

View attachment 17245
After checking it out I'd be careful of the information presented as a lot of it is false or misleading.

Like streaming entities in an out reduces the amount of entities that have to be computed by the client cpu. Culling and adding objects depending on what's in the client's sphere visual sphere does not decrease the cpu requirements in fact it generally increases the CPU utilization as it has to maintain the object trees in memory. All client-side object container streaming does is reduce the client's ram memory requirements as not all objects for the game world need to be loaded at game launch and can be added and removed at runtime. Its why games have load screens and even now most games do not utilize this method as it's demanding on the CPU and hard disk which consoles struggle with. You will also find that players who play SC and are not utilizing SSD drives will also be negatively impacted as they move around the verse.

The idea that all clients need to keep track of all objects on each game tick is also false without client container streaming. While servers do need to keep track of all objects on each tick clients are only feed entity changes within their sphere of influence. This is mostly due to bandwidth limitations and not due to cpu/memory limitations as updating object list location changes per tick is simple. This is why CIG was able to implement client-side object container streaming without needing to change the server code. All they did was change the client-side game engine to not load all objects until the client gets an update on an object id it currently does not have in memory.

Client-side object container streaming is also loading objects that are currently not visible to the client but are still nearby this prevents the situation of objects that peek around a corner from not showing up for a few seconds due to needing to be loaded before rendered. I do not remember if they are using a sphere or a teardrop for object load/culling.

As Clive Johnson explains

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/bhyd21 View: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/bhyd21/how_is_servermeshing_possible_dev_response/

They hope that if Static Server Meshing is used at all it's only implemented at deep space boundaries so that issues with players at the boundary line not in qt is limited.

Lordgarrett99

Admiral
Donor
Sep 30, 2019
RSI Handle
ELX987
After checking it out I'd be careful of the information presented as a lot of it is false or misleading.

Like streaming entities in an out reduces the amount of entities that have to be computed by the client cpu. Culling and adding objects depending on what's in the client's sphere visual sphere does not decrease the cpu requirements in fact it generally increases the CPU utilization as it has to maintain the object trees in memory. All client-side object container streaming does is reduce the client's ram memory requirements as not all objects for the game world need to be loaded at game launch and can be added and removed at runtime. Its why games have load screens and even now most games do not utilize this method as it's demanding on the CPU and hard disk which consoles struggle with. You will also find that players who play SC and are not utilizing SSD drives will also be negatively impacted as they move around the verse.

The idea that all clients need to keep track of all objects on each game tick is also false without client container streaming. While servers do need to keep track of all objects on each tick clients are only feed entity changes within their sphere of influence. This is mostly due to bandwidth limitations and not due to cpu/memory limitations as updating object list location changes per tick is simple. This is why CIG was able to implement client-side object container streaming without needing to change the server code. All they did was change the client-side game engine to not load all objects until the client gets an update on an object id it currently does not have in memory.

Client-side object container streaming is also loading objects that are currently not visible to the client but are still nearby this prevents the situation of objects that peek around a corner from not showing up for a few seconds due to needing to be loaded before rendered. I do not remember if they are using a sphere or a teardrop for object load/culling.

As Clive Johnson explains

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/bhyd21 View: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/bhyd21/how_is_servermeshing_possible_dev_response/

They hope that if Static Server Meshing is used at all it's only implemented at deep space boundaries so that issues with players at the boundary line not in qt is limited.
TOO LENGTHY WHERES MUH COFFEE!

but yea, guy knows his stuff :)

Forgot your password?