Face over IP - very cool.

Floating Cloud

Space Marshal
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Floating_Cloud
Intro to face over IP

View: https://youtu.be/bCtdyNFwQWo?t=25m34s

For those who haven't watched, this introduces us to a brand new feature where via your webcam SC is able to sync your character features to your actual face. So when you smile, your character smiles. When you look left, your on-screen viewpoint swivels to match. That along with the character lip sync that matches your VOIP, directional audio, volume levels that fade and rise as characters change distance from you - all of these features will add a huge level of immersion.

Fantastic.

---

Major edit:

This works best with the custom camera produced by facetech, so I've amended this post to reflect that and deleted my closing paragraph (I'd originally planned to get a cheap webcam).

Last edited:

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
I think the system is amazing. The level of immersion that they are shooting for is amazing. However... I want to see this game released before it is obsolete. As far as I have found, foip was never even a stretch goal. Is it cool? Absolutely. Is it groundbreaking? Fuck yea it is. The problem is though, they have their hands full just fulfilling what they have already promised. We're what, 2 years away from release at the very best? It will be much longer than that if they keep getting side tracked.

Don't get me wrong. I am absolutely 100% in favor of pushing the boundaries. I want to see this game reinvent the limitations of a MMO. However, I do think they need to concentrate on what's already on their plate. If you can tell me that things like this aren't pushing the release date even further into the future, I will shut up and simply enjoy it. When I watched it though, the first thought in my head was that they were getting off track. This feeling was made even worse by watching all the bugs and problems with the 3.0 live demo. Honestly, you can't even drive a car up a ramp, but you can spend the last year working on facial tracking?

Let me ask you this, in todays mmos what percentage of players can you get on to voip. Out of that percentage, how many will actually respond verbally. Now ask yourself, what percentage of players will buy a special webcam and actually use it for face over ip?

Floating Cloud

Space Marshal
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Floating_Cloud
Honestly, you can't even drive a car up a ramp, but you can spend the last year working on facial tracking?

Let me ask you this, in todays mmos what percentage of players can you get on to voip. Out of that percentage, how many will actually respond verbally. Now ask yourself, what percentage of players will buy a special webcam and actually use it for face over ip?

This is outsourced, so it's costing them money but not much in the way of time. As to takeup, I'd guess a pretty high number of the hardcore players will use it. Remember that the fancy schmancy camera is optional, it works with standard webcams, just not as well (for example you would need the subject to be lit rather than relying upon light from the monitor).

I am a little surprised that they didn't go for voice/lipsync like they do at realillusion (https://www.reallusion.com/crazytalk/) where the lip movement is done from the sound rather than from camera input, but I'm sure that they have their reasons.

Maxgerber5250

Grand Admiral
Apr 2, 2015
RSI Handle
Capt-Spicer
This is outsourced, so it's costing them money but not much in the way of time. As to takeup, I'd guess a pretty high number of the hardcore players will use it. Remember that the fancy schmancy camera is optional, it works with standard webcams, just not as well (for example you would need the subject to be lit rather than relying upon light from the monitor).
I`m going to try my new Samsung 360 camera. I don`t know if it will work as good, but it can`t hurt to try.

Forgot your password?