Fire tablets for HUD's?

glockjs

Space Marshal
Feb 26, 2015
RSI Handle
glockjs
I kinda wrote them off because they came with a catch. They display ad's on the lock screen unless you pay 15 bucks more to stop it. But thinking about it more there will be custom roms because they will be so wide. So....why not pick up a $35 fire tablet for a HUD? The apps are already there. Can somebody tell me a good reason NOT to pick one of these up to purely use as a HUD?

Rainshine

Captain
Donor
Nov 13, 2014
RSI Handle
RainingLight
Wait, Kindle Fires? If so, I never had the ad thing you're talking about. Just a basic tablet.

But this does raise questions. Has there been any mention of this type of integration? I can say, it would be amazing for immersion as well as handiness (I'd put my shield screen there so I can reach over and adjust for incoming fire.), but I'm not sure how it would work or if it would be fast enough, network wise, to be useful.

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
Just to let you know kindle fire's do not have google play on them. you would need to do a lot of work to make it run on it or just do a complete rom flash to get that support. But that being said at $35 it is not that much work if you at least somewhat know how to do this stuff and are willing to put in that effort. :) I say go for it if that sounds in your wheel house. To get an idea of what you need to do check this forum out, this will be your biggest resource! Its not to hard if you can follow instructions!

glockjs

Space Marshal
Feb 26, 2015
RSI Handle
glockjs
Just to let you know kindle fire's do not have google play on them. you would need to do a lot of work to make it run on it or just do a complete rom flash to get that support. But that being said at $35 it is not that much work if you at least somewhat know how to do this stuff and are willing to put in that effort. :) I say go for it if that sounds in your wheel house. To get an idea of what you need to do check this forum out, this will be your biggest resource! Its not to hard if you can follow instructions!
you can't side load play? x.O

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
you can't side load play? x.O
Yes and no. You can sideload it but it will not work right if at all, and if you do get it to work it will keep screwing up and you will need to keep redoing the process. And it is not just a quick process either. Flashing the rom is the cleanest and easiest way :)

glockjs

Space Marshal
Feb 26, 2015
RSI Handle
glockjs
Yes and no. You can sideload it but it will not work right if at all, and if you do get it to work it will keep screwing up and you will need to keep redoing the process. And it is not just a quick process either. Flashing the rom is the cleanest and easiest way :)
well two roads. side load play to get the app i want or full refresh a new rom. i'm more banking on a rom for the tablet because it's so wide spread :D

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
There are other tablet options apart from a Kindle Fire. There are even $50 7" tablets that run on Android that you could buy for this specific purpose. (And I recommend that route anyway)

Reactions: EpilepticCricket

Krystal LeChuck

Meme Meister
Staff member
Officer
Jun 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Krystal

Snakey

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jul 15, 2015
RSI Handle
SNKYGMG
basically for people who don't know, the fire has advertisements built into it which display as a background. basically amazon farming money like the ppl they are

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
There are other tablet options apart from a Kindle Fire. There are even $50 7" tablets that run on Android that you could buy for this specific purpose. (And I recommend that route anyway)
what he said.

check the XDA-developer forums to find out which tablets are both cheap and flashable.

Forgot your password?