First image of an actual black hole!

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Hmmmm...glazed donut, or...the Eye of Sauron? You decide:
Screen Shot 2019-04-10 at 10.12.54 AM.png

(I'm hungry now, so it definitely looks like a glazed donut to me...ahhhhhh, do-nut!)

The NYTimes had a nice pictorial guide:

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
If this is several billion years old, I wonder how creationists will explain it. Maybe since the earth is flat, it will not get sucked in... the earth is aerodynamic ;)
To be fair, creationism doesn't really mention size, scale, or duration. The idea that creationism in general excludes evolution or modern scientific earth age theory is a false one. In fact, it's a pretty small minority who believe young earth theory.

But back to the black hole ... it's pretty awesome. Reality is, we still have no clue what they really are. It's been taught that they are essentially rips in space time, whose gravity is so strong that not even light can escape. -BUT- Scientist have also seen light thrust out of black holes. Not to mention it begs the question .... if light can't escape a black hole, then how would we ever see light being pulled into a black hole in the first place. And where the hell exactly is the light coming from ....

Kiladyn

Vice Admiral
Dec 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Kiladyn
if light can't escape a black hole, then how would we ever see light being pulled into a black hole in the first place.
We see the light from surrounding stars and objects being sucked into the black hole area, We dont really see the black hole so much as we see the absence of the light that was sucked to that location

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
We see the light from surrounding stars and objects being sucked into the black hole area, We dont really see the black hole so much as we see the absence of the light that was sucked to that location
My bad, I was speaking more towards the light scientist have caught emitting from the center of a black hole. But yes, the light we see surrounding a black hole remains visible because of the bend in space time. In fact, it's the only explanation for WHY we would see it in the first place. I think I was typing before thinking ... lol

But yeah ... black holes are pretty cool. It was an awesome song in the 90s too ...

Scape

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 2, 2019
RSI Handle
Scape_TEST
To be fair, creationism doesn't really mention size, scale, or duration. The idea that creationism in general excludes evolution or modern scientific earth age theory is a false one. In fact, it's a pretty small minority who believe young earth theory.

But back to the black hole ... it's pretty awesome. Reality is, we still have no clue what they really are. It's been taught that they are essentially rips in space time, whose gravity is so strong that not even light can escape. -BUT- Scientist have also seen light thrust out of black holes. Not to mention it begs the question .... if light can't escape a black hole, then how would we ever see light being pulled into a black hole in the first place. And where the hell exactly is the light coming from ....
I thought it wasnt light that is shot out from a black hole but Plasma?? Not that i know the difference

Forgot your password?