First Man - Short Review

AstroGimp01

Space Marshal
Jan 31, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroGimp01
The pro’s – the flight and space sequences were very well done, good attention to detail and period correct as best as I could tell. Sound design was very good for these sequences as well. They were good but, IMO, no better than Apollo 13 or The Right Stuff.

The con’s – Ryan Gosling’s portrayal did not, for me, create a relatable or sympathetic character, to the contrary I thought it paints Neil Armstrong as nearly inhuman which is not what I think the intention was. Claire Foy, the actress who portrayed Jan Armstrong (I am not familiar with her) was also not someone I could connect to emotionally, I actually found her portrayal off-putting, especially the fem-splaining she did at times.

The supporting cast however was excellent, especially Jason Clarke as Ed White who was lost in the Apollo 1 fire (an event I thought the film handled superbly).

There is a sequence which made zero sense in the context of the film where we find a hippy encampment and a hipster black man both protesting the investment into NASA and the Vietnam War – of course I understand this was historically accurate, however literally every other minute of film time is either focused on Armstrong, his family, or the other Astronauts – in the context of the film this seemed unnecessary and forced.

I had heard of course about the deliberate omission of the planting of the American Flag preferring to focus instead on the ‘human triumph’ and I was admittedly rather upset/put off by that since there are two kinds of countries of Earth, those that have NOT put men on the Moon, and the United States – but in actuality this was the least of the weaknesses in the film and would not have added much to story, especially within the messaging of the film as edited.

Overall, I felt that this movie provides some great period-correct eye candy for space program fans like myself, but the peek into the lives behind the legends, as told in the film, was a downer as executed. I also felt that the film was particularly negative towards Buzz Aldrin, unnecessarily so.

I hoped that First Man would be an uplifting and inspirational movie, as I found The Right Stuff and Apollo 13 to have been – but that was a bridge too far for this film.

I do think that if you are going to see it, it should be experienced in a theater for the scale and the audio power in order to truly enjoy the flight and space sequences.

'Gimp

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
I saw the books come out on shelves, but did not know this was put into production as a movie as well. Thanks for the review!

Reactions: Vavrik

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
is this in theaters atm in america or is this a netflix original or something?
It's currently in theaters, look for "First Man". I want to see this movie but, not currently possible.

I watched the real one launch though. I mean, I was there. I was 6. I remember next to nothing other than the steam and noise.

Last edited:

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
It's currently in theaters, look for "First Man". I want to see this movie but, not currently possible.

I watched the real one launch though. I mean, I was there. I was 6. I remember next to nothing other than the steam and noise.
I'll have to check to see if the theater here is playing it or not it probably is but i havnt had any time in the last 3-4 months to do anything due to working on my house.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
I felt the biggest weakness was the cinematography. I realize they were trying to place it in the 60s, but honestly, I’ve seen some better pictures on my fathers home movies from that era (granted, on a smaller screen). The cams were shaking even when not during a launch scene, and almost always out of focus. Everything was also extremely dirty...sorry, but even then, they had soap and water and my mother would NEVER let things get that bad. The only time the cinematography was good and sharp was during the fire scene, which is something I found unsettling.

As for the portrayal of Armstrong, I think it was a good one. If you’ve ever met an engineering nerd, you can understand that is how most of us are. Introverted, with bottled up feelings, and there are times when you can’t deal with other people and just want to be left alone to sort things out. I know I can be that way because my wife tells me I am. I also know that what I do is mild compared to others. I went to school that was entirely populated with nerds (nerd magnet school) and yes, I most definitely saw this type of behavior. Today, it would probably be classed as some sort of mental problem, but then?

Armstrong was a great man, and one of my personal heroes. As such, I give this movie 2.5/5 stars. The story was focused on his flaws instead of his strengths and the cinematography was bad, but what they showed was pretty much on character and on point. I just wish they tried to present the whole man instead of the flawed man. It’s obvious this was an Oscar bait movie, which is why I think this film was done the way it was. I just think they could have done better by not focusing on trying to win oscars.

Last edited:

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
This is one of those movies that I "want" to see, but know I'll be disappointed in. I've read a bit about the space program, and the lead-up up to it, and about Neil Armstrong and the other astronauts, and I don't see how you could make a movie that could be better than the truth & greater than the actual man. He was one of those heroes that I don't think we understand today...incredibly proficient as an engineer, supremely talented as a pilot, and without a bit of self-marketing or self-righteousness. He was just a real decent, down-to-earth real guy.

lol, you talked about the problems with "fem-spraining" I think this is a problem with "film-spraining" -- they think they have to present something to everybody, and when you divide by the lowest common denomintor, you get something that gets pretty empty.

EDIT: lol here is some historic revision I can get behind:
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/10/laika-movie-review-weirdly-charming-stop-motion-ode-to-the-first-space-dog/
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=TEuav4VPhPw

Last edited:
Reactions: Bambooza
Forgot your password?