Flat Earther successfully launches home made rocket - Proves that gravity sucks

Setrius

Captain
Oct 30, 2017
RSI Handle
Tekks
So last I heard a Flat Earth believer named "Mad" Mike Hughes had built his own rocket, with the goal of disproving centuries of science showing that the earth is indeed spherical. I thought that at best he would either be mired in red tape preventing a launch for the rest of his dumb life or die hilariously in a way that would fuel memes for generations. Today however, through the power of backyard science and balls that are definitely forced into impossibly dense round shapes via the gravity of his own craziness he actually fucking pulled it off.

He's doing it for all the wrong reasons, but that thing is a fucking a steam powered, unguided suicide booth and launched from the back of what appears to be an ice cream truck. This guy is a HMB legend in my book.

I might name my Carrack Mike Hughes now.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Based on what footage of other amateur rocket hobbyists that I've seen in the past, as well as scenes of the Mythbusters launching rockets that used various fuel sources, the rocket in this video really didn't go all that high. I'd rank it around the level of some of the gummy bear fueled rockets at best.

Setrius

Captain
Oct 30, 2017
RSI Handle
Tekks
Right around 1900 feet or so. Reading the article it says that in addition to limo driving he is a bit of a stunt man. He tried to crowd fund his first rocket but it failed, he then became a Flat Earther and the society helped pay for it. I really hope this guy just trolled them to get his rocket made and perform some Super Dave level stuntery

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
Honestly this is pretty cool stuff i use to work with steam all the time on CVNs and to propel a rocket that high on steam thats alot of pressure and alot of heat. this is how ideas are born and who knows what someone who sees this video will come up with. Congrats to him as i think he was just trying to shoot his rocket hopefully his next rocket will be crowdfunded and much better.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
In his post-launch interview he stated the he does not believe in science and that his next planned launch is a rocket from a balloon so he can pass the Armstrong point in order to prove there isn't an outer space or vacuum above atmosphere.
Without science, how does he plan on proving anything other than with ignorant self perception that can't be measured?

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Only thing hat he proved IMO, is what most already know.. (and avoid doing)
That is that excessive G-forces to your body damage you, in some cases irreversible damage.

Bold thing to do but not the smartest IMO... He could easily figured out the result on paper and saved him self a lot of pain. :joy:
What some do for 5 min in the spotlight, never stop to amaze me.. HA HA..

:beers: :joy::beer::beers::beers::beer:

Forgot your password?