Fleet Dynamics

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
You're scaring me. My intel says overclocked Revenants have a 900 rpm rate of fire and 240 rounds is 2 minutes 40 seconds, or 160 seconds fire time. If that's true it is more than enough for any fleet engagement like we're considering. Did I make an ooops here? I hate when that happens.
You're scaring me. My intel says overclocked Revenants have a 900 rpm rate of fire and 240 rounds is 2 minutes 40 seconds, or 160 seconds fire time. If that's true it is more than enough for any fleet engagement like we're considering. Did I make an ooops here? I hate when that happens.
240 rounds at 900 rounds per minute means
240÷900=0.266666666 minutes.
0.26666666 × 60= 16 seconds. Sorry, off by a second.
All of the ballistic repeaters and ballistic gatlings, other than the one on the Ares and the one on the Redeemer, have, roughly, 15 seconds of ammo.
The Redeemer has 90 seconds and the Ares has 180 seconds. The Ares is supposed to have 2-3 times the normal gatling gun ammo. So either everything but those two are way low, or those 2 are way high. Your guess is as good as mine as to which direction this is going to go.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
I think a Carrack pilot would try to chase down the Ares individually, and since it is much faster than the Ares it could be successful. Failing this, rolling the ship gets you a new set of shields, so the Carrack is harder to crack than seems. If it has ballistics, the shields will regen the full 3k/s and it can roll back and forth regularly. However, it is the Ballista that is the game changer. It carries 8 S5 torps, each of which will remove all the shields off an Ares. You could kill 4 Ares with them outright (and the Ares has no real defense) or just take down their shields and then kill them with guns.
The Carrack is a bit faster in a straight line, yes. However, it has significantly slower turn rates than the Ares. In order to roll a new shield face, the carrack would need around 2 seconds if the Ares' are hitting a side shield. So that would certainly be possible, however, if they're hitting the rear or the fore, it'd take over 6.4 seconds even if the Ares' didn't try to keep up. If the Ares' get to 350m from the Carrack, their SCM speed would overcome the carracks pitch rate... Well, Carrack could use its faster straight line speed to escape though, but the guns on Ares have longer range so Carrack couldn't exactly be skirmishing. Staying in combat would be pretty fatal for it though.

Still, IMHO you cannot really theorycraft "fleet dynamics" without some kind of combined force, so you really do need to consider what fighters a Carrack would benefit from most. Lets suppose for argument's sake, a Carrack with 6 Shrikes (12 players) was attacked by a Carrack, Redeemer, HH, Tally and 3 Ares (24 players).

If the Shrikes targeted the Ares first, they could well defeat them before they were discovered and then turn their missiles on the Redeemer.
If Shrikes can be that stealthy, then the obvious choice would be to just bring along as many Shrikes as you can. Defeat anything without being seen. I don't think they're that stealthy though.
If Carrack can be used to detect the Shrikes, then you'd want to bring Carrack with only the number of players needed to operate the scanner. So like, a solo carrack. Later, when we get Endeavor in the game, you'd switch to that as it has even better scanning array, bigger shields and you can also throw in a hangar.

The latter would have a terrible time chasing Shrikes since they don't need to get within range of the Redeemer's guns and are faster. (Control the engagement!) Just getting the Redeemer to chase them is all full of win for the Shrikes. 6 Shrikes need 5 missile salvos to kill the Redeemer and that could take a long time, but the Redeemer is out of the main battle. No matter how many missiles the Redeemer shoots down, I don't think it can survive 6 Shrikes. If the Shrike pilots are good and a little lucky, they might all of them survive because they don't need to get in the Redeemer's guns range and they're maneuverable enough to avoid the Redeemer''s missiles.

If the lone Carrack launched 1 S7 at the Tally it could instantly vaporize. It should probably launch 2 in case the first is shot down. The S5 torps can then all go at the HH, which cannot evade them. The Ballista has 280k points in S5 torps. Say 2/3 of them get through the HH turrets. It's shields are almost down when the Carrack closes with all 8 Revenants. It will not last long.

The end of the conflict is a 1 Carrack against a better armed Carrack and 6 Shrikes that can launch salvos of 12 Thunderbolt IIIs for 55k@. It cannot survive.
Yeah, see how even in your scenario, the side with more solo ships is the prevailing one? That's exactly my point. The current balance heavily favors just bringing as many ships as you can instead of putting players in the same ship. Turret gunners have way worse DPS than solo ships, they got no missiles, they can't stay on target, and they don't bring in more shields.

Personally, I would prefer to have a second Carrack jump in once battle is joined and that is a more fair comparison (18 v 24 players), but you almost don't need it if everyone knows who to target right away. Shrikes should know to target fighters first, Redeemer second. Carracks should know to launch S7s and S5s before in gun range. All of that is surprise attack and will greatly overwhelm.
I mean, why not just bring in 12 more Shrikes? In your scenario, they're the real MVP.

And we have not talked at all about the Eclipse. Who would want a fleet without them? That's a whole 'nother discussion. Three men in Eclipses are much more dangerous than 4-5 men in a Tally since it is so hard to stop them, but they again require a light fighter presence. They can't move with a regular fleet because they are so slow, unless you get accustomed to micro-jumping. Also, my guess is we have a false scenario here because I can't imagine anyone flying a fleet with no light fighters. Killing light fighters sucks, because there is just no way to do that very quickly.
Yeah, sure. Bring along more solo ships. That's my whole point.

Just to reiterate, my point isn't that Ares is the best ship ever, my point is that you're far better off just putting players in solo ships, mostly light, medium and heavy fighters but I concede that having like one solo Carrack to scan for hidden ships could be quite beneficial. Still, putting people in turrets is a tremendous waste.

Oh, and brining along a Solo Carrack has the additional benefit of brining along a mobile spawn point, so any fighter pilots who die can just respawn in the Carrack. And since they got nothing better to do, THEN going on turrets isn't that bad of an idea. Could also put few spare snubs in the Carrack hangar.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raven_King

Raven_King

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jan 17, 2021
RSI Handle
Raven_King
Not a Ballista, but still vaguely relevant to…
put a Ballista on the Carrack hangar
Get close to the Carrack with a Hercules, open the Hercules ramp and back the Ballista onto the Carrack.
…is this post in the concierge section on Spectrum a short while ago:
It links this YT vid:
View: https://youtu.be/7dhTdInBPCw

No telling how long this will work for, if CIG see more people start to do it, as (I guess) it’s probably not intended to work.

Rodo1jub

Captain
Dec 8, 2021
RSI Handle
Rodoljub
900 rpm (rounds per minut) so in 1 minut it will fire 900 rounds or in other way weapon will fire 15 rounds per second.
If it has 240 rounds, those rounds will last for 16 seconds of continous firing.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Not a Ballista, but still vaguely relevant to…

…is this post in the concierge section on Spectrum a short while ago:
It links this YT vid:
View: https://youtu.be/7dhTdInBPCw

No telling how long this will work for, if CIG see more people start to do it, as (I guess) it’s probably not intended to work.
It's not. The exterior, with certain exceptions, isn't supposed to have gravity, hence the reason for "Zero-G push and pull."

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Yeah, I dropped a decimal. I recall when 3.14 dropped that this was the case but when the Redeemer came out I presumed I had made a math error back then. The Redeemer ballistic gattling has 2,600 ammo or some such.Odd CIG made an exception for that one weapon and left everything else nerfed. So the Redeemer guns literally have more than 10X the ammo and fire time of all the other ballistics.

Does anyone else feel like that is nutty?

The Redeemer and Ares both just got a balance pass, nerfing the Ares ability to hit small fighters and the Redeemer ammo speed, but nothing about the Redeemer ammo count. They need to just put back ammo counts to reasonable numbers. Who in their right mind is going to fly with 15 seconds of ammo? All those guns are useless.

Last edited:

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Yeah, I dropped a decimal. I recall when 3.14 dropped that this was the case but when the Redeemer came out I presumed I had made a math error back then. The Redeemer ballistic gattling has 2,600 ammo or some such.Odd CIG made an exception for that one weapon and left everything else nerfed. So the Redeemer guns literally have more than 10X the ammo and fire time of all the other ballistics.

Does anyone else feel like that is nutty?

The Redeemer and Ares both just got a balance pass, nerfing the Ares ability to hit small fighters and the Redeemer ammo speed, but nothing about the Redeemer ammo count. They need to just put back ammo counts to reasonable numbers. Who in their right mind is going to fly with 15 seconds of ammo? All those guns are useless.
They are useless. I have tried, a couple of times, to fly with a Revenant on my Vanguard, and it just doesn't work.
I think we are likely to see either 60 or 90 seconds of ammo for all the repeaters, with the Inferno keeping its 180 seconds of ammo.

In the mean time, can we buy the size 5 gat in store in the PTU yet?

Reactions: Shadow Reaper

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Erkul lists 3 S6 guns with good ammo counts. The only S5 or S6 gun with decent ammo speed is the Drauger (Scandinavian for Zombie?) gattling that has almost 2 minutes of ammo. I can't think of what ship that is on. Could be yet to be released. It's noteworthy that this S6 gattling does the same damage as 2 S3 Mantis. That sucks really badly. WTF are they thinking?

The only role I can see these ballistics in is defensive on something like the 315P that you would never want to fight with. You can fully charge engines and shields and the guns are there in case someone actually gets in front of you while you're running away, or perhaps for killing a ground turret on a mission. That's about it.

None of the S5s have the 1400 speed now that the 3.16 Redeemer patch is about to hit. For the Vanguard I would recommend first stage trigger GVSR, second stage Absolution. Crappy loadout for stealth but I have heard it working well for killing HHs.

Last edited:

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Erkul lists 3 S6 guns with good ammo counts. The only S5 or S6 gun with decent ammo speed is the Drauger (Scandinavian for Zombie?) gattling that has almost 2 minutes of ammo. I can't think of what ship that is on. Could be yet to be released. It's noteworthy that this S6 gattling does the same damage as 2 S3 Mantis. That sucks really badly. WTF are they thinking?

The only role I can see these ballistics in is defensive on something like the 315P that you would never want to fight with. You can fully charge engines and shields and the guns are there in case someone actually gets in front of you while you're running away, or perhaps for killing a ground turret on a mission. That's about it.

None of the S5s have the 1400 speed now that the 3.16 Redeemer patch is about to hit. For the Vanguard I would recommend first stage trigger GVSR, second stage Absolution. Crappy loadout for stealth but I have heard it working well for killing HHs.
There is no ship that carries a size 6 gun. Nobody has bothered to balance size 6 weapons because of that.

They have no role currently. I think they were taken down to 15 seconds to discourage their use and force us to use capacitors to test that.

Reactions: Shadow Reaper
Forgot your password?