For Science!

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
That was my attempt to formulate my own experiences and others I have seen on Youtube.
I feel like I have a sort of personal bond to a lot of entertainers that I follow on Youtube, because I have seen countless hours of them in god knows how many situations.
I've seen people go through divorces, alcoholism, depression, moving to different countries, from just starting to date all the way to having kids and happily married. And that's just a single channel!
I am fully aware that this so far is very similar to following the lives of any celebrity, but there is not the "filter" that comes from a gossip magazine journalist.

But having that level of familiarity with someone makes a difference if they are telling you news stories.

Add to this the level of which you can customize what news you see, you can personalize the news you consume.
Not to the level in the books, but it's to a level that I think it can create interesting effects.
are you sure its considered "news" then?

Reactions: Bambooza

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Want me to link videos of book burnings?

Besides that, I just remember the main character (Guy) going to his house, and his wife is watching the full screen TV, and participating in the interactive program, pretty much anesthetized to what was going in in the world and ignoring him. And the main charactery, Guy, has problems because he is thinking and doesn't swallow what they are all being told.

Did a quick look at Wikipedia:
"Bradbury said that he wrote Fahrenheit 451 because of his concerns at the time (during the McCarthy era) about the threat of book burning in the United States. In later years, he described the book as a commentary on how mass media reduces interest in reading literature.[7]"

Looking at that article (which I can remember reading years ago!),
"Bradbury, a man living in the creative and industrial center of reality TV and one-hour dramas, says it is, in fact, a story about how television destroys interest in reading literature."

Another great quote:
"HE SAYS THE CULPRIT in Fahrenheit 451 is not the state — it is the people. Unlike Orwell’s 1984, in which the government uses television screens to indoctrinate citizens, Bradbury envisioned television as an opiate. In the book, Bradbury refers to televisions as “walls” and its actors as “family,” a truth evident to anyone who has heard a recap of network shows in which a fan refers to the characters by first name, as if they were relatives or friends."

And:
"Bradbury imagined a democratic society whose diverse population turns against books: Whites reject Uncle Tom’s Cabin and blacks disapprove of Little Black Sambo. He imagined not just political correctness, but a society so diverse that all groups were “minorities.” He wrote that at first they condensed the books, stripping out more and more offending passages until ultimately all that remained were footnotes, which hardly anyone read. Only after people stopped reading did the state employ firemen to burn books."

See full article at:
https://www.laweekly.com/news/ray-bradbury-fahrenheit-451-misinterpreted-2149125
ya well, at this rate.... might as well live out 1984 as well.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
While there is some political charged science like global warming and GMO's there is still vast areas of science pushing boundaries, from AI learning, robotics, life extension, utilizing the retrovirus for genetic manipulation and finding cures.

So we can get bogged down with the debate over creation/evolution. Does humans have a measurable impact on the global environment and should we be concerned about the use of GMO's. And while they are important we shouldn't loose focus on the fact that technology and science continue to race forward. And perhaps what we are seeing is a reaction to the unknown due to how fast we are moving and the huge uncertainty it brings and not a truly anti science mentality, just fear of the unknown because they cannot keep up.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
I agree with the concerns in the video. The culture we have developed here in the states is nothing short of frightening. It is so incredibly ignorant and just keeps getting worse. You can't really single out any specific cause either. There are so many bad decisions and social fallacies that contribute to the situation that it feels like we are surrounded by dysfunction. Every system that you look at is fundamentally broken at it's core and there is no solution in sight. Its not about to change either because nobody will even admit that it is broken, let alone begin to find a cure.

Schools: the education system is laughable at best. Kids get a chance to correct wrong answers on tests. When the fuck did that start?! The quality of education has been lowered to the lowest denominator and when they say "no kid left behind", it means that every kid is held back to the level of the least educated child. Then, because they want every kid to feel successful, they lower the requirements so that every child passes whether they try or not. We are graduating uneducated morons by the thousand every year.

This leads to people thinking that truth is inherently applied to any thought or belief they have, as long as it makes sense to them. If you don't understand something, it must not exist. We create safe spaces, campaign against opposing opinions, and kill any words that might possibly offend someone. Heaven forbid that we tell someone that they're stupid and their ideas are dumb, even if they are actually an idiot. That might make them feel bad about their self image and trigger their insecurities if you call them mentally handicapped for legitimately believing the FICKING WORLD IS FLAT...

People are so unbelievably confident in their ignorance. If they can't understand it, it doesn't exist. If their uneducated mind vomits some theory about how every scientist in history is wrong, they will defend that belief to their dying breath. It's the "Dunning-Kruger Effect" and it has run rampant across America. Science can't progress if basic education is abandoned. Progression will come to a complete stop if we continue to allow people to think that truth and belief are interchangeable. If we continue to empower stupidity, it won't be long before we go back to living in caves and rubbing two sticks together for fire.
lol, I hadn't heard it called the Dunning-Kruger effect before. I read their article years ago, and it is one of my FAVORITE articles of all time. I thought it was really well done.

Warning: boring psychology article ahead...ready at your own risk...I always hate experiments using colleges students as the experimental & controls, but their methodology was excellent.

"Unskilled and Unaware of It: How Difficulties in Recognizing One's Own Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments"
Abstract:
People tend to hold overly favorable views of their abilities in many social and intellectual domains. The authors suggest that this overestimation occurs, in part, because people who are unskilled in these domains suffer a dual burden: Not only do these people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices, but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it. Across 4 studies, the authors found that participants scoring in the bottom quartile on tests of humor, grammar, and logic grossly overestimated their test performance and ability. Although their test scores put them in the 12th percentile, they estimated themselves to be in the 62nd. Several analyses linked this miscalibration to deficits in metacognitive skill, or the capacity to distinguish accuracy from error. Paradoxically, improving the skills of participants, and thus increasing their metacognitive competence, helped them recognize the limitations of their abilities.

Attachments

DarthMatter

Space Marshal
Jul 18, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMatter
While there is some political charged science like global warming and GMO's there is still vast areas of science pushing boundaries, from AI learning, robotics, life extension, utilizing the retrovirus for genetic manipulation and finding cures.

So we can get bogged down with the debate over creation/evolution. Does humans have a measurable impact on the global environment and should we be concerned about the use of GMO's. And while they are important we shouldn't loose focus on the fact that technology and science continue to race forward. And perhaps what we are seeing is a reaction to the unknown due to how fast we are moving and the huge uncertainty it brings and not a truly anti science mentality, just fear of the unknown because they cannot keep up.
Sure, there are political scientific topics.
However, Global warming is a bad example as there is nothing political about it, in of itself.
It's happening, it's humans and it's measurable.

If you want I could go through all available parameters (that I remember) and go into detail why it's humans and not the Suns cycles, volcanoes, Earths tilt changing and so on.
But that might warrant it's own thread.

Where it could (or rather the only place that debate should) be political is in debating how governments should react. Should they punish corporations that are large sources of green house gases, or should we just let the market sort it self out.

(IMO, we tried letting the market sort itself. It didn't do it quick enough. Now governments have to take action as a last resort to minimize the damage.)

GMOs I agree with you more.
The technology itself should not be politically charged, and we should definitely use it in controlled environments. If nothing else to continue studying different techniques pros and cons.
Using the methods available correctly will result in changes to genome, yes. But that is something humans have done for centuries. Look at the Belgian Blue cow. It's not GMO, but has been created through breeding. But breeding is like taking two genomes and making them combine using a sledge hammer. You can't tell what the end result is going to be, unless you have the complete genome mapped and know how every gene is affected by each other and so on. And even then you can only use it to calculate statistics of what the mix will be.

On the other hand, you can extract exactly what genes you want and put them in where you want with modern gene editing.
The hard part is, again, to be able to completely know how a small change changes the big picture. And this is something that should and is continually studied.

Where this should get political is in the techniques different uses. And this is much of where I see the political side of the debate also taking place. (Compared to the Climate change debate, in which "What is our fault" is debated. Which is a scientific debate that people are trying to debate like it's a political issue/debate.)

Should corporations be able to stop farmers from planting seeds that the farmers has gathered from crops they grew, because the corporation has a patent on the seed?
Should you be able to get at patent on genome?
And so on.

There is also the ethical side of the debate on GMO, if you want to count it as political. Gene editing humans and so on. Good debate to have.

This might have become me just rambling again. Sorry!

Reactions: Sraika

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I'm glad you brought up these two questions

Should corporations be able to stop farmers from planting seeds that the farmers has gathered from crops they grew, because the corporation has a patent on the seed?
Should you be able to get at patent on genome?
For me as much as I am on the fence over Gene manipulation due to the vast uncertainty in regards to the long term effects of messing with our food. The very real and present issue is genome patents and how they are effecting the markets here and now. How farmers are not able to use seeds from their fields due to GMO cross pollination resulting in the seeds now being restricted due to patents.

However, Global warming is a bad example as there is nothing political about it, in of itself.
It's happening, it's humans and it's measurable.
If you wish to take this to another thread we can. But I think you have proven my point that it is still very much a hot topic while very important causes such a strong emotional reaction that limits discovery.

DarthMatter

Space Marshal
Jul 18, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMatter
I'm glad you brought up these two questions

For me as much as I am on the fence over Gene manipulation due to the vast uncertainty in regards to the long term effects of messing with our food. The very real and present issue is genome patents and how they are effecting the markets here and now. How farmers are not able to use seeds from their fields due to GMO cross pollination resulting in the seeds now being restricted due to patents.

If you wish to take this to another thread we can. But I think you have proven my point that it is still very much a hot topic while very important causes such a strong emotional reaction that limits discovery.
It is a hot topic, yes. But it shouldn't be, was the point I was trying to say.
The point that makes me... go off... about it, is the debate itself, not the topic the debate is about 😅

Forgot your password?