For those intrigued by the FPS module!

Horus Taber

Commander
Dec 5, 2014
RSI Handle
Horus_T
So I was watching 10 FTC and while watching, around 11m 24s, he talked about ballistics physics and I found it quite exhilarating hearing how in depth they are going with weapon/ammo physics. I don't want to write a huge post regarding the physics but listen to it and I look forward to hearing what you guys think.

Horus Taber

Commander
Dec 5, 2014
RSI Handle
Horus_T
I really like how they are incorporating the mass, velocity, and energy involved to determine the damage output instead of making it a static number. I may actually enjoy the FPS in this game quite a bit!

SARGE

Space Marshal
Feb 13, 2015
RSI Handle
SARGE | SARGE5th
I really like how they are incorporating the mass, velocity, and energy involved to determine the damage output instead of making it a static number. I may actually enjoy the FPS in this game quite a bit!
sounds Arma like if you ask me...but then again...I dunno

Horus Taber

Commander
Dec 5, 2014
RSI Handle
Horus_T
sounds Arma like if you ask me...but then again...I dunno
Unfortunately I've never played ARMA, but of other FPS games I have played this sounds quite emersive! (Other FPS games being COD, Halo 1,2,3, Titanfall, and Ghost)

HID45

Commander
Feb 13, 2015
RSI Handle
HID45
It sounds like there will not be hardware that would run this game smoothly at 60fps available in 2016.

Czechmate

Admiral
Feb 16, 2015
RSI Handle
Czechmate8
No, there will be. The new cpu architectures coming out in 2015 are about a 30% improvement. With an additional 20-30% more by early 2016 and then another 30% increase by end of 2016. We're looking at nearly double performance of today by release. Not to mention video cards develop much faster. More along the lines of 50-60% every 8 months or so.

Reactions: Myre

Boggles

Lieutenant
Feb 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Arthurdent
So I wonder if that would mean a static damage on ammo with in a zero g atmo depending on said manu's velocity rating? I just want a plasma gun that ends with a ball tip with rings around the end that aren't mounted to anything.

Myre

Pit Crew
Staff member
Feb 12, 2015
RSI Handle
Myre
So I wonder if that would mean a static damage on ammo with in a zero g atmo depending on said manu's velocity rating? I just want a plasma gun that ends with a ball tip with rings around the end that aren't mounted to anything.
That would make the most sense to me, Boggles. (The static damage part, not the rings part, that made no sense whatsoever! :P)

Reactions: Boggles

HID45

Commander
Feb 13, 2015
RSI Handle
HID45
No, there will be. The new cpu architectures coming out in 2015 are about a 30% improvement. With an additional 20-30% more by early 2016 and then another 30% increase by end of 2016. We're looking at nearly double performance of today by release. Not to mention video cards develop much faster. More along the lines of 50-60% every 8 months or so.
I have to disagree on this one. The latest Intel architectures have been like 3-5% faster than their predecessors. With way worse overclocking potential in every generation (Ivy Bridge/Hashwell heat spreader/TIM fail anyone?). There has not been much actual, proper development since Sandy Bridge and 2500k/2600k processors, and those have been around for 4 years now. And today when AMD can't compete in performance per core, Intel doesn't even need to step up their R&D in order stay on top. I can very well bet we won't see 50% performance increase in processors by the end of next year. 10% would be more like it and that might be overconfident estimate too.

In video cards the development is not so badly stagnated as in those AMD and Nvidia are close rivals and need to create new stuff in order to beat the other. But still, 50% increase every 8 months is not reality, not even close. GTX 970 4GB scandal anyone? Or Radeon 290X 1Ghz "all day every day"? If we see 30% performance increase untill late 2016 I'll be very surprised.

Last edited:

Czechmate

Admiral
Feb 16, 2015
RSI Handle
Czechmate8
I was going by general computing and not factoring in gaming. The jump from sandy to haswell is argued to be between 5%-35% depending on who's reviewing and which batch of Haswells they got. Your estimate of about 10% for gamers is probably accurate. As for graphics your right about the 50% thing. Again I was going of raw computing power. the gtx 980 vs the gtx 780 is more than twice as fast on initial release on raw calculations. With a 17% increase from the latest drivers of 780 to the earliest drivers of the 980 in overall gaming performance. With the expectation of the 15% efficiency gain for the 980 when they upgrade to the 980TI and the another 15% from when the new cards come out some time early next year, and another 15% for the TI upgrade those will get, we'll be seeing about a 45% increase by the end of 2016.

Nov 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Ranger BearBlood
Ah yes seen that yesterday quite interesting approach iam wondering those this mean the armor the individual wears will effect if the bullet does any damages like say they have heavy armor getting hit by a low velocity round that simply cannot penetrate the armor, this could add a interesting dynamic where a SMG or something that fires a small round would do alot of damage to lightly armored targets but weak against heavy targets while some heavier weapons would be more effective vrs heavy targets but less effective in general for boarding action

Forgot your password?