Forbes hit piece on Star Citizen - Video response (warning! long!)

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
If it turns out to be true, then its just impressive that Chris married her not once, but twice!

If its false, then we get to rip Forbes Gaming a new one for sloppy journalist standards.

I mean ... they better hope it's true. Otherwise there is enough ammo to take down Forbes in court similar to what happened with Gawker.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I mean ... they better hope it's true. Otherwise there is enough ammo to take down Forbes in court similar to what happened with Gawker.
I don't think so, if it really comes down to it, the editor can say the information he got was doctored and he thought it was real. Also this is not Forbes main section, this is a far more loosely monitored gaming subsection of the site.

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
I don't think so, if it really comes down to it, the editor can say the information he got was doctored and he thought it was real. Also this is not Forbes main section, this is a far more loosely monitored gaming subsection of the site.
As posted in the original thread, this article IS being printed in Forbes magazine. Not that it matters.
As proven time over time, publishing a "bad source" is not an absolute defense in court. Especially when you make claims of legality.

They better have confirmed the police reports and incidents they reported because if they are indeed false, Forbes would be in serious trouble.

Last edited:

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
As posted in the original thread, this article IS being printed in Forbes magazine. Not that it matters.

As proven time over time, publishing a "bad source" is not an absolute defense in court. Especially when you make claims of legality.
True but in the US the bar on what is Libel for public figure is set so that the victim has to prove that the false statement was published with actual malice, that the person or media organization making the false statement knew it was false but published it anyway, or should have known it was false. They must have demonstrated reckless disregard for the truth, either they didn’t check, or they didn’t care. This is a huge hurdle to leap.

Reactions: Mich Angel

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
True but in the US the bar on what is Libel for public figure is set so that the victim has to prove that the false statement was published with actual malice, that the person or media organization making the false statement knew it was false but published it anyway, or should have known it was false. They must have demonstrated reckless disregard for the truth, either they didn’t check, or they didn’t care. This is a huge hurdle to leap.
But if you are making claims that can be verified through public record. If such information turns out to be false, there isn't a court in the country who would side with you.

Last edited:

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Not if you are making claims that can be verified through public record. If such information turns out to be false, there isn't a court in the country who would side with you.
I do believe I covered that as a possibility. " They must have demonstrated reckless disregard for the truth, either they didn’t check, or they didn’t care. "

Also it seems that to access any records unless otherwise exempt from disclosure you just need to submit a online request for Judicial Administrative Records.

Finally got to the end of our great leader @Montoya video and I have to say outside of government I am not sure of any company where ongoing funding is not of great concern.

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
I do believe I covered that as a possibility. " They must have demonstrated reckless disregard for the truth, either they didn’t check, or they didn’t care. "

Also it seems that to access any records unless otherwise exempt from disclosure you just need to submit a online request for Judicial Administrative Records.

Finally got to the end of our great leader @Montoya video and I have to say outside of government I am not sure of any company where ongoing funding is not of great concern.
Those are really the only "facts" in the story that would be worthy of litigation in the first place. Most of the article is the same 'old smear techniques we see in publication every day.
So as I stated before ... Forbes better have fact checked, otherwise they would have opened themselves up to a slam dunk lawsuit.

It leaves only 2 clear options:

1) The claims are absolutely true and verified
2) Forbes is incompetent and stupid

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Yep, everyone and their mother is jumping on this. It's easy and a safe bet for them, just parroting the same bullshit. "Forbes said it so it must be true!" . They will get the clicks of the generic haters, as well as SC fans looking to see if something objective or redeeming is said, or just clicking to argue the haters. It's a win-win anyway.

As for us, tha players, I don't think this matters. Every year there has been some sorta fake shitstorm, wheter it was because of some patch delay, the crytek lawsuit, some high price ship sale, virtual land claims, or really anything they could spin negatively, we ended up where we are regardless. Patches and content coming out consistently, we have a playable game now, funding seems to be going fine, and most importantly, despite all this crap, they brought in an investor with some big bucks that ensures at least sq42 will be done.
Even if this smearing goes on and on and on, the game will be fine!
Unless Sandy gets too tight with her grip.

DorianSkyphire

Space Marshal
Nov 29, 2016
RSI Handle
DorianSkyphire
Gamers turning on Chris Roberts is as tired and unoriginal as so many "old gays" now turning on Madonna. And then add in the newer crop that is so desperate to be cool by flinging hate. WTFE. Even if every bad thing said about CIG was true.. I'm just really over these people. Our politics around the world are bad enough, fuck everyone who is investing time and energy into this faux hate while doing nothing about actual problems in the world. Fuck them with Derek Smart's dick.

Forgot your password?