Fountain Pens

SkippyLeDoo

Lame Title
Nov 16, 2013
RSI Handle
SkippyLeDoo
I'd like to see you make this post using your fountain pen...

Joking aside I love fountain pens. I used to use them for ink sketching a few years back. I didn't get anything fancy thou cause I would destroy them in a few days from new due to extreme pressure I'd apply for artistic effects. I used to get plain fountain pens with wooden base that you'd have to dip in an ink bottle. They were cheap too, like 10Euro for a set of 4 or something like that. Then I got a graphics tablet and they faded out of existence for me.

Also they were awesome to write Tengwar with...
Don't test me.

Dip nibs go for pretty cheap, which makes them good for doing custom grinds. There are nibs made for flexing that don't take a ton of pressure to get line variation from. I have a graphics tablet, myself, but for writing it just isn't the same.

I actually used Tengwar script before I constructed my own. It's very nice looking.

deathstrike

Vice Admiral
Donor
May 8, 2014
RSI Handle
deathstrike
Don't test me.

Dip nibs go for pretty cheap, which makes them good for doing custom grinds. There are nibs made for flexing that don't take a ton of pressure to get line variation from. I have a graphics tablet, myself, but for writing it just isn't the same.

I actually used Tengwar script before I constructed my own. It's very nice looking.
That's dedication man!

Reactions: SkippyLeDoo

Clowdy Howdy

Captain
Jan 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Clowdy Howdy
You accidentally put your reply in the quote, heh.
Yeah I deleted the closing tag and forgot how to change it. This probably looks right now?

To elaborate on your explanation of using barbaric nibs and old fashioned dyed inks, I would have to say I do it as a kind of discipline, rather than anything to do with being practical. Its good exercise for the mind, and your hand. Its nowhere near as fast as typing. Even in my stilted half-looking-down-at-keyboard method I can write faster than I can print legibly. My cursive takes a long fucking time to write anything, so I write cursive to write cursive, not to have something written down.

I also recently started taking ADHD meds after a 10 year break so I want to get back into practicing my script now that I have some better focus.

SkippyLeDoo

Lame Title
Nov 16, 2013
RSI Handle
SkippyLeDoo
Yeah I deleted the closing tag and forgot how to change it. This probably looks right now?

To elaborate on your explanation of using barbaric nibs and old fashioned dyed inks, I would have to say I do it as a kind of discipline, rather than anything to do with being practical. Its good exercise for the mind, and your hand. Its nowhere near as fast as typing. Even in my stilted half-looking-down-at-keyboard method I can write faster than I can print legibly. My cursive takes a long fucking time to write anything, so I write cursive to write cursive, not to have something written down.

I also recently started taking ADHD meds after a 10 year break so I want to get back into practicing my script now that I have some better focus.
Yeah it looks fine now. The end quote is [/QUOTE]

I've gotten faster at writing with all my practice, which is handy for in class notes.

Oh dear... I can only write in all caps with Zebra pens :). Simple, legible.
Only a few weeks ago my cursive was hideous. I just made dedicated practice and it has been paying off.

Tameron

Space Marshal
Jan 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Tameron
Stop. Dammit. I collect hobbies, as it were. I love making something perfectly usable into art. But... I really can't get into this right now.
...they are really cool though. I could just do one, maybe, not a whole collection or anything...
Dammit.

Reactions: SkippyLeDoo

SkippyLeDoo

Lame Title
Nov 16, 2013
RSI Handle
SkippyLeDoo
Stop. Dammit. I collect hobbies, as it were. I love making something perfectly usable into art. But... I really can't get into this right now.
...they are really cool though. I could just do one, maybe, not a whole collection or anything...
Dammit.
I've never been able to say this before I got a fountain pen: I love writing and taking notes. Seriouisly. I could stay an hour after my lecture is supposed to end and not care as long as I can take notes. I didn't jokingly write out my previous post because I had or anything like that; I did it because I wanted to and I enjoyed it.

If you do decide to get a fountain pen, it doesn't need to be anything fancy or expensive to look nice and work well (function>form). You'd only have to take care of it just as you would with any other fountain pen. In the grand scheme it's not necessary but I can give you tips on good starter pens and ink (my earlier post), good paper for writing with fountain pens and why you might want it, and proper pen care.

SkippyLeDoo

Lame Title
Nov 16, 2013
RSI Handle
SkippyLeDoo
I just had a dumb idea: In the spirit of improving handwriting and other dumb excuses like that, would anyone here be interested in joining a sort of TEST penpal thing? It's kind of dumb, I know, but if no one really has much reason to hand-write anything, this would be one--if enough people jump on board.

Mumble told me it's a bad idea. I'm not crying. I'm not.

Last edited:

SkippyLeDoo

Lame Title
Nov 16, 2013
RSI Handle
SkippyLeDoo
The Pilot Metropolitan. I think you suggested it previously, and I found a 2-pack for about $25 (including shipping).
That's right, I did. You won't regret it, I swear. Am I to assume you got the two inks I recommended as well?

Honestly, I'm a little excited for you! Heck, if no one else likes the kind of corny penpal idea, just the two of us could exchange letters or something.

Ah the joys of being left handed....

<image>
I mentioned in a previous reply that it can be avoided by rotating the paper clockwise about 30 degrees (or until the two opposite corners are vertical).

Civil Hypocricy

Rear Admiral
Nov 8, 2014
RSI Handle
Civil_Hypocrisy
That's right, I did. You won't regret it, I swear. Am I to assume you got the two inks I recommended as well?

Honestly, I'm a little excited for you! Heck, if no one else likes the kind of corny penpal idea, just the two of us could exchange letters or something.
Couldn't actually afford those at the moment... Luckily the two-pack came with ink. When I have more money I will though...

SkippyLeDoo

Lame Title
Nov 16, 2013
RSI Handle
SkippyLeDoo
Couldn't actually afford those at the moment... Luckily the two-pack came with ink. When I have more money I will though...
I'm not opposed to the idea of lending a hand for a TESTie in need. What inks do you want?

Edit: also, do your pens come with converters?

Last edited:
Forgot your password?