FPS Gaming Is Dead

Zaraphandox

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 13, 2014
RSI Handle
Zaraphandox
I'm sure most, if not all, of us remember the good ol' days. Back when Unreal Tournament was the dominant FPS, Wolfenstein, Tribes, Red Faction, Serious Sam were all good, Counter-Strike was fresh, and Quake was around. Now these games are considered old and "classics" while new games look pretty and have no real gameplay or fun to them. True and challenging FPS games have been dead for a long time with no sight of returning to the roots.

In attempt to find games like these again. Games where you actually use skill, where you can't pay for a fancy gun, where classes don't exist, and the only thing stopping you from being good is you.
I dug around for a few years with little success and no hope of finding a game like this.

Today though I come to you filled with joy, for I have found an actual arena style FPS.

I give you Tokixx. It's a Steam early access game, but hey, maybe if it gets stupid amounts of money we could see FPS rise from the ashes of bullshit games like CoD.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/324810/

Just thought I'd share my overwhelming excitement with you folks.

Last edited:
Reactions: SARGE

Bulloko

Commander
Jan 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bulloko
Ooooh! I miss Unreal... This reminds me a lot of UT 2004!! How I miss the Translocator :-D
Then those vehicles! Like UT3.

Ahh.. the good old days, simple game. Lan parties... the nostalgia!

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
I'm torn... I kinda want a key, but I already have so many games. Save the key for someone else, if I decide I want this game to be, I'll support it.

Tooterfish

Vice Admiral
Donor
Nov 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Tooterfish
Arena shooters are dead. They were popular back in the day because they were simple and easy to make. Counter-Strike is challenging, very challenging if you play competitively and people have dedicated their lives to mastering that game as professional players. Regardless of how good you are, how easy you think that game is, there is always somebody better than you and there is always something new to learn.

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
I never liked arena shooters. Prefer something that puts a premium on tactics + teamwork over pure twitch reflexes.

Willem Default

Space Marshal
Apr 2, 2015
RSI Handle
WillemDefault
I never liked arena shooters. Prefer something that puts a premium on tactics + teamwork over pure twitch reflexes.
Grammar, have you tried Red Orchestra?

C

CaptainHavoc

I find the arma series slow paced, butt clenching combat.

Zaraphandox

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 13, 2014
RSI Handle
Zaraphandox
Arena shooters are dead. They were popular back in the day because they were simple and easy to make. Counter-Strike is challenging, very challenging if you play competitively and people have dedicated their lives to mastering that game as professional players. Regardless of how good you are, how easy you think that game is, there is always somebody better than you and there is always something new to learn.
Overall with FPS games being defined by games like CoD, the genre is more or less "dead." Granted some games are still good but a lot of people look past games such as arma.
I'm not saying arena fps games should make a rise back up, but more that we want more well rounded games using aspects from older shooters such as arena fps games.

I'll pm the guys who wanted the keys.

S

svenrichter

might be true, but no CS-Vid will impress me as much as a good ol' frag video

SARGE

Space Marshal
Feb 13, 2015
RSI Handle
SARGE | SARGE5th
I'm sure most, if not all, of us remember the good ol' days. Back when Unreal Tournament was the dominant FPS, Wolfenstein, Tribes, Red Faction, Serious Sam were all good, Counter-Strike was fresh, and Quake was around. Now these games are considered old and "classics" while new games look pretty and have no real gameplay or fun to them. True and challenging FPS games have been dead for a long time with no sight of returning to the roots.

In attempt to find games like these again. Games where you actually use skill, where you can't pay for a fancy gun, where classes don't exist, and the only thing stopping you from being good is you.
I dug around for a few years with little success and no hope of finding a game like this.

Today though I come to you filled with joy, for I have found an actual arena style FPS.

I give you Tokixx. It's a Steam early access game, but hey, maybe if it gets stupid amounts of money we could see FPS rise from the ashes of bullshit games like CoD.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/324810/

Just thought I'd share my overwhelming excitement with you folks.
I remember back to a day when my uncle built his first computer and it was a windows 3.1 system. A self-made man with nothing in his pockets living out of his sisters house in a city close to Newark, NJ...the old Newark. He died a few years back in Brazil, at one of his homes, rich, and very well recognizes internationally within his associations (Welding Engineer). But I still remember back to a simpler time when he got his first "off-white" monitor and tower; all the parts all over the place and a flimsy instructions manual. A very thick book accompanied it and some home school education books (early stages of what is known today as online college courses).

With your post you reminded me when he finished building that computer and called me over so that I would take part in it's official grand start up—and ON it went... Along with his schooling he played two games: Mine Sweeper, which he had mastered and Wolfenstein 3-D. I used to love watching him play this game all the time. To me FPS games are not dead...they are just taking a backseat, for now.

Last edited:
Forgot your password?