FPV Quadcopter. Anyone doing this?

Murderer

Space Marshal
Jun 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Murderer
Took one of these out to the park yesterday while out walking. Ended up crashing multiple times until I lost two of the blades and knocked the camera loose so I had to give up for the day. Otherwise a fairly fun way to spend some time outside! Anyone else here into drones/quads?

I_MIKE_I

Space Marshal
May 7, 2016
RSI Handle
I_MIKE_I
Ended up crashing multiple times until I lost two of the blades and knocked the camera loose
A Testie trough and trough...

I had a look at those things, but imo they're too expensive... and I don't really have the place here to fly them - not to mention that Germany has all sorts of laws regarding who/what you are not allowed to film.

Carlos Spicyweiner

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2015
RSI Handle
DMGunslinger
I have 2 of them, a smaller one with a 1080p camera that's easy to fly, and a bigger, horrendously expensive one with a beautiful 4k camera. Both are registered with the FAA and if I don't bend the rules a little, I can fly it in my closet and take pictures of all my pants. Otherwise, I have to drive out to a park that's 25 miles away and show my AMA card and my local pilot's card to the drone Nazis, then I have the privilege of flying my drones outdoors while the RC plane and helicopter pilots make fun of me. I guess it's the cameras that piss everyone off, but I don't take video or photos of anyone but me, and I will NOT fly these things over people at all. I have seen what those props can do to an appendage!

Reactions: Tiger and Murderer

ratfeast

Space Marshal
Apr 11, 2016
RSI Handle
ratfeast
Took one of these out to the park yesterday while out walking. Ended up crashing multiple times until I lost two of the blades and knocked the camera loose so I had to give up for the day. Otherwise a fairly fun way to spend some time outside! Anyone else here into drones/quads?
Yep, I've got a DJI Phantom 3 Professional Quadcopter 4K UHD Video Camera Drone, It's really easy to fly. It'll hold a GOS position in a high wind, circle around you as you move, etc. I'm surprised the price hasn't changed in the 6 months since I bought it. I think the camera is better. There are cheaper alternatives. Check out this article on Tom's Hardware Page:http://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-drones,review-2412.html
I think VR is the wave of the future with quadcopters! Here's a video of some of the newer drones:
There's always a number on Kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/ and Indiegogo https://www.indiegogo.com/, which you can support as a developer.

Last edited:

DarthMatter

Space Marshal
Jul 18, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMatter
I got a DIY kit for a hexacopter. Then I realized that the kit didn't support GPS in the way I wanted to, so got a new flight controller and the addons I wanted (autonomous flight by GPS, camera, telemetry-kit that supported controlling the thing with a Xbox controller through a computer).
Then I realized that the new controller needed more parts to function than the old one did. Then my telemetry-kit-pasts stopped talking to each other (still not working). After that I didn't have time to fix it/still can't figure out what's wrong :s

TLDR: I bought a kit and it doesn't work, but I like the tech. :)

Daak Seed

Space Marshal
Dec 9, 2015
RSI Handle
daak-seed
Nice flying )))

I got 3 quadcopters. 2 for outdoor fun and 1 for in-door flying. Only the small one is ready-to-flight kit I got from China

Buying small "toy" - it is the best for learning how to fly a quadcopter. Flying quadcopters in general fits perfect profile of any dedicated TESTie - you crash a lot. And when I say a lot - I mean it. Especially, if you are into First Person View (FPV) racing and stuff. So, my advice would be - get a "toy" (which is actually capable of doing crazy stunts driving complete nuts out of your home pets and, in my case, my father-in-law). And it is durable - It survived already more than a year in my house with my 3 year old kid. I think I paid something like 20 bucks for it with free delivery from China.

Now, I have 2 copters for outdoor fun. Both we DIY kits with different levels of "pain the back" to assemble, program and make them fly.

First one was a big 500mm size quadcopter frame which I outfitted with all the stuff allowing it to fly autonomously (APM 2.6). Yeah, after couple of months of "flying"/crashing it, one day the autopilot decided it had enough and decided to take its destiny out of my hands. So it flew away aiming straight to the busy city center of Barcelona. Given it had enough power to fly at least another 5-7 km I had a chance to become "famous" in Barcelona. Fortunately, after watching Terminator movie in the childhood I never trust "machines" and I have a magic switch on my controller that forces it to land. Long story short - this copter is grounded safely in my house.

So it leaves my with my smaller DIY copter (180mm frame, foldable) equipped for FPV racing.

It is a cool machine capable of scaring the shit out of you when it flies. If anyone in Barcelona interested to fly or learn flying - let me know!

Varku

Space Marshal
Apr 21, 2016
RSI Handle
Varku
Flying a drone can be great fun, but keep in mind: A drone is not a toy!
Check the rules for flying RC-Airplanes of your country before you take off.
These things can cause great damage to others, keep them and yourself save.

Have fun out there, but stick to the rules, they exist for a reason.

Oh and for the crash pilots:
You may want to equip your drone with a Parachute so it won't get damaged when things get out of control.
One of many solutions: https://parachutedrone.com/en/

ratfeast

Space Marshal
Apr 11, 2016
RSI Handle
ratfeast
Nice flying )))

I got 3 quadcopters. 2 for outdoor fun and 1 for in-door flying. Only the small one is ready-to-flight kit I got from China

Buying small "toy" - it is the best for learning how to fly a quadcopter. Flying quadcopters in general fits perfect profile of any dedicated TESTie - you crash a lot. And when I say a lot - I mean it. Especially, if you are into First Person View (FPV) racing and stuff. So, my advice would be - get a "toy" (which is actually capable of doing crazy stunts driving complete nuts out of your home pets and, in my case, my father-in-law). And it is durable - It survived already more than a year in my house with my 3 year old kid. I think I paid something like 20 bucks for it with free delivery from China.

Now, I have 2 copters for outdoor fun. Both we DIY kits with different levels of "pain the back" to assemble, program and make them fly.

First one was a big 500mm size quadcopter frame which I outfitted with all the stuff allowing it to fly autonomously (APM 2.6). Yeah, after couple of months of "flying"/crashing it, one day the autopilot decided it had enough and decided to take its destiny out of my hands. So it flew away aiming straight to the busy city center of Barcelona. Given it had enough power to fly at least another 5-7 km I had a chance to become "famous" in Barcelona. Fortunately, after watching Terminator movie in the childhood I never trust "machines" and I have a magic switch on my controller that forces it to land. Long story short - this copter is grounded safely in my house.

So it leaves my with my smaller DIY copter (180mm frame, foldable) equipped for FPV racing.

It is a cool machine capable of scaring the shit out of you when it flies. If anyone in Barcelona interested to fly or learn flying - let me know!
I got mine at Costco for less than $100.

Just so you guys know, the more expensive quadcopters are a lot easier to fly than the cheaper ones.

Reactions: hardroc77
Forgot your password?