Freelancer v. Constellation: your thoughts?

SkippyLeDoo

Lame Title
Nov 16, 2013
RSI Handle
SkippyLeDoo
That's the thing, the constellation is huge. I don't think it will even spin in decoupled mode very effectively. I think the driver of a connie should focus on counter measures and keeping the fighters in general away from the vulnerable rear blindspot. Chasing after them would be pointless, and focusing on a single one would risk tunnel vision of both yourself and your turret gunners. Keep a level flight, otherwise, your turrets won't hit shit.
Pulling off any strategy would require effective communication between crew members--especially the gunners.

Let me explain a little more: If the helmsman doesn't actively (but carefully) engage targets and just waits for enemies to fly in front, he'll be putting too much pressure on the gunners. When engaging, the helmsman should communicate his maneuvers to his gunners ("yawing right") and the gunners should also communicate the enemies' locations and headings and giving commands for attitude adjustment ("pitch up," "roll left"). I understand that the Connie isn't a fighter jet, but you still need to maneuver to be effective in a fight. Enemies can hit you from any angle, and you have to be able to adapt to that angle constantly changing.

Also, I never said to chase an enemy. That would be pointless, but getting up to speed and decoupling is a much better idea than staying put.

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
As far as cargo goes Freelancer Max vs Constellation Taurus is a sure win for the Taurus. 10 extra bucks for something like 1500 more freight units? Yes please.

Combat? I got no clue. Gonna have to wait until both ships into AC.

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
Pulling off any strategy would require effective communication between crew members--especially the gunners.

Let me explain a little more: If the helmsman doesn't actively (but carefully) engage targets and just waits for enemies to fly in front, he'll be putting too much pressure on the gunners. When engaging, the helmsman should communicate his maneuvers to his gunners ("yawing right") and the gunners should also communicate the enemies' locations and headings and giving commands for attitude adjustment ("pitch up," "roll left"). I understand that the Connie isn't a fighter jet, but you still need to maneuver to be effective in a fight. Enemies can hit you from any angle, and you have to be able to adapt to that angle constantly changing.

Also, I never said to chase an enemy. That would be pointless, but getting up to speed and decoupling is a much better idea than staying put.
yeah, that's what I'm saying. The pilot has to focus on keeping the enemy fighters where his gunners can hit them, calling targets, and taking any chance he can get to level his M5A's (or M6A's in the case of the pheonix) at them. But straight flight may be preferable. Turning may reorient gunners and stop them from being able to fire accurately.

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
As far as cargo goes Freelancer Max vs Constellation Taurus is a sure win for the Taurus. 10 extra bucks for something like 1500 more freight units? Yes please.

Combat? I got no clue. Gonna have to wait until both ships into AC.
Have you noticed any differences on the inside of the taurus from the andromeda? Where does the extra cargo space come from? The Andromeda seems pretty efficiently laid out to me, and they are the same length.

JoeCool4433

Wisdom-Master
Donor
Nov 20, 2013
RSI Handle
JoeCool777
Have you noticed any differences on the inside of the taurus from the andromeda? Where does the extra cargo space come from? The Andromeda seems pretty efficiently laid out to me, and they are the same length.
Perhaps where the merlin would go in the andromeda? It also looks like its a bit longer with its cargo hold according to the last picture on the Taurus brochure, but its oddly a shorter length according to the ship matrix between all the variants. Guess the merlin might stick out that far past the ass end.

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
Perhaps where the merlin would go in the andromeda? It also looks like its a bit longer with its cargo hold according to the last picture on the Taurus brochure, but its oddly a shorter length according to the ship matrix between all the variants. Guess the merlin might stick out that far past the ass end.
does the taurus come with a merlin?

starkestrel

Space Marshal
Nov 3, 2013
RSI Handle
starkestrel
There's no docked fighter on the Taurus.

From what I've seen, all of the new Constellation designs have a tail section that doubles as an "engine room" with hatch access to the Merlin. On the Taurus, they can do away with much of that, and very well may have altered some of the front of the cargo bay and compressed the crew area a bit. It's only got amenities for 2 crew, and so could theoretically have a smaller cabin. Those two changes can open up a bunch of space.

~*~

Despite the sensible arguments for the Freelancer, I'm thinking Constellation for me. Something about having three or four crew and needing to juggle their paychecks along with operating costs for the ship as I take on missions appeals to me more than flying a 1- or 2- seater Freelancer.

Combat may be more difficult with an NPC crew, but after reading up on it I realized that if I'm attacked I can put an appeal out to my TEST Squadron mates, and they can occupy my NPC crew. While that may not be something people are always available for, I shouldn't ignore the fact that I'm part of a great group of people. I am curious if we can get hired NPCs to stick with us even when we're grounded by giving them a retainer, and if NPCs who are account-bound will grow in skill and experience over time.

For purchasing, I've decided to get an Andromeda and an Aquila upgrade pack, and wait to apply the upgrade until we better understand the distinctions there and the prefit expansion stations.

The next thing to unlock is how I purchase the dang ship. I can melt either my LTI Super Hornet or LTI 315p, or both. My hesitation there is that if I stick with the Andromeda, I'm going to want the 315p. And it's going to be a bit ironic if I melt an LTI Super Hornet and then, as a first purchase with my credits within the game, go out and buy a Hornet. I don't think I'm going to toss in another $325 on top of the $260 or so I've already spent. That's just madness.

I'm also realizing that I don't think I want much more than 2-3 ships in the game. I'd rather focus on upgrading and specializing a few ships than having a whole stable of them. Since the Connie models I want are going to be in the store for a while, I'm taking a "wait and see" attitude. Who knows what next ship coming down the pipe is going to attract my interest?

SkippyLeDoo

Lame Title
Nov 16, 2013
RSI Handle
SkippyLeDoo
Turning may reorient gunners and stop them from being able to fire accurately.
I'm sure they will be stabilized, but I still think facing only one direction wastes what could be a pivotal use of lasers and missiles.

I looked on the holo viewer, and it seems the engine/hatch room was removed for cargo space.

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
My Aquila will beat all of your asses. Simply because I will hack your ships. *installs hacking module*

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
My Aquila will beat all of your asses. Simply because I will hack your ships. *installs hacking module*
ha, I'll do it better! *Installs angry housewife with hatchet*
There's no docked fighter on the Taurus.

From what I've seen, all of the new Constellation designs have a tail section that doubles as an "engine room" with hatch access to the Merlin. On the Taurus, they can do away with much of that, and very well may have altered some of the front of the cargo bay and compressed the crew area a bit. It's only got amenities for 2 crew, and so could theoretically have a smaller cabin. Those two changes can open up a bunch of space.

~*~

Despite the sensible arguments for the Freelancer, I'm thinking Constellation for me. Something about having three or four crew and needing to juggle their paychecks along with operating costs for the ship as I take on missions appeals to me more than flying a 1- or 2- seater Freelancer.

Combat may be more difficult with an NPC crew, but after reading up on it I realized that if I'm attacked I can put an appeal out to my TEST Squadron mates, and they can occupy my NPC crew. While that may not be something people are always available for, I shouldn't ignore the fact that I'm part of a great group of people. I am curious if we can get hired NPCs to stick with us even when we're grounded by giving them a retainer, and if NPCs who are account-bound will grow in skill and experience over time.

For purchasing, I've decided to get an Andromeda and an Aquila upgrade pack, and wait to apply the upgrade until we better understand the distinctions there and the prefit expansion stations.

The next thing to unlock is how I purchase the dang ship. I can melt either my LTI Super Hornet or LTI 315p, or both. My hesitation there is that if I stick with the Andromeda, I'm going to want the 315p. And it's going to be a bit ironic if I melt an LTI Super Hornet and then, as a first purchase with my credits within the game, go out and buy a Hornet. I don't think I'm going to toss in another $325 on top of the $260 or so I've already spent. That's just madness.

I'm also realizing that I don't think I want much more than 2-3 ships in the game. I'd rather focus on upgrading and specializing a few ships than having a whole stable of them. Since the Connie models I want are going to be in the store for a while, I'm taking a "wait and see" attitude. Who knows what next ship coming down the pipe is going to attract my interest?
you also shouldn't ignore th fact that there are over 900 of us. almost all the time, there will be at least a 100 people online.

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
ha, I'll do it better! *Installs angry housewife with hatchet*

you also shouldn't ignore th fact that there are over 900 of us. almost all the time, there will be at least a 100 people online.
The biggest question mark is: Will enough of those players be available to respond to a situation? In EVE Online, we were pretty much spread out across a massive region, making it difficult for quick-response rescues.

Designated Drunk

Space Marshal
Feb 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Designated_Drunk
The biggest question mark is: Will enough of those players be available to respond to a situation? In EVE Online, we were pretty much spread out across a massive region, making it difficult for quick-response rescues.
At least for crewed ships, another player can 'take over' for an NPC immediately, which will be the most useful way to help. Of course, if you're flying in your single seater and get jumped by a Connie, yeah, you'll have to hope that another TESTie will be close enough to jump to your location.

Maybe that's what the Hadesian artifact does - it summons TEST's massive Aurora fleet. Kind of like summoning Bahamut Zero in FF VII, just not nearly as awesome, and with much more drunkenness and crashing, and possible death of yourself.

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
you have a point, this isn't like an MMO, where theres a reacheable level cap. Everyone will always have something to grind for, and that will probably call for different bodies in different places. Maybe this 900 thing will actually feel like a close knit group of 50 of us who stick together and play consistently. Or it will devolve into a general forum for idiocy in which we all have fun but never do anything significant. 50/50 chance, really.

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
you have a point, this isn't like an MMO, where theres a reacheable level cap. Everyone will always have something to grind for, and that will probably call for different bodies in different places. Maybe this 900 thing will actually feel like a close knit group of 50 of us who stick together and play consistently. Or it will devolve into a general forum for idiocy in which we all have fun but never do anything significant. 50/50 chance, really.
Agreed, that's the main concern I have regarding TEST Squadron. Of course, I expect us all to be doing our best at playing the game. Be it drunken crasher or executing on a finely-tuned combat tactic and/or strategy.

Forgot your password?