Freelancer

Xian-Luc Picard

Space Marshal
Jan 9, 2016
RSI Handle
Xian-Luc_Picard
I am thinking of buying a Freelancer but the only opinions of it that I can find are "bad cockpit view". Are there any other critiques people have of this ship? It looks awesome to me, but I am relatively new and might be missing obvious flaws.

Down the road, I want to do some trading and some exploration... the Freelancer just seems like a good choice. I am open to any other suggestions for what ship I should be looking into for a similar price point that would be better... if there are any.

-Zapp, the man with no name.

Hero9012

Space Marshal
Dec 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Hero9012
I personally love my freelancer, the cockpit view isn't perfect, but be weary it is a cargo ship not a fighter. That being said, I take my freelancer out to dogfight just for fun and I do fairly well. If you want to a good cargo ship to thatl'll defend you from pirates, its a good ship.

StarSailer

Lieutenant
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
StarSailer
I was thinking about buying one too, I've tried it a few times and I think it's a really nice ship. The cockpit has smaller openings than combat ships, but you don't specially need a good view for trading and exploration.

Hadron Xon

Space Marshal
Jan 18, 2016
RSI Handle
Hadron_Xon
I am using a freelancer in the mini PU and love the ship. It has a really rugged feel and for the price provides a lot of versatility. You cant go wrong by getting one.

Xian-Luc Picard

Space Marshal
Jan 9, 2016
RSI Handle
Xian-Luc_Picard
She's a beautiful ship alright. Shapely, seductive. I'm gonna fly her brains out!

Now that I know people are mostly just big whiners, I just need to save the cash! Thanks for the input, guys!

Derkerter

Space Marshal
Feb 20, 2015
RSI Handle
Derkerter
I like flying my freelancer, it handles like a nimble bus, which it should, and holy hell it's cruise mode is speedy.

Feral Oxide

Grand Admiral
Mar 13, 2015
RSI Handle
FeralOxide
I bought me a freelancer for Christmas. It's gonna be super sweet once the side cannons get some control and a good hand is at the rear turret. It's a lean mean trading machine.

Reactions: Bishop

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader
I have a DUR for exploring and a MAX for CityBpooin. Love both.

Personally, I am happy with the cockpit design. It is more appropriate for a 'working class' ship and if you zoom in just a little for fighting it is not a problem.

That only other ship similar is the Constellation Taurus, which costs more and needs more crew.

I recommend the Freelancer but I am a strong fanboy of them. :)

Reactions: Blind Owl

Carlos Spicyweiner

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2015
RSI Handle
DMGunslinger
As long as you can see what you're going to ram, I wouldn't worry about the visibility, and nothing lives long in front of those huge guns. The beds are comfy, but the bathroom's always locked. Other than that, I love the thing.

Xian-Luc Picard

Space Marshal
Jan 9, 2016
RSI Handle
Xian-Luc_Picard
I have a DUR for exploring and a MAX for CityBpooin. Love both.

Personally, I am happy with the cockpit design. It is more appropriate for a 'working class' ship and if you zoom in just a little for fighting it is not a problem.

That only other ship similar is the Constellation Taurus, which costs more and needs more crew.

I recommend the Freelancer but I am a strong fanboy of them. :)
This is exactly my thought on the view from the cockpit... it just *feels* like a work ship. Get back to work and stop sightseeing!

NecroKnight

Lieutenant
Dec 27, 2015
RSI Handle
NecroKnight
I personally love the versatility (and very firefly feel of the ship). I have a DUR and it will be my explorer as I don't tend to do much, but i want the option and it is easy to fly solo or with a crew. It's view isn't exactly ideal for dogfighting, but that is not its purpose.

W4stex

Lieutenant
Sep 22, 2015
RSI Handle
W4stex
I have freelancer DUR and can't wait to start exploring. :)

CIG did awesome job with Freelancer IMHO.
Ship looks awesome,and handles as one should expect for mainly transport ship.

Personally ,I love the cockpit and i think it suits the concept well.
Those placeholder guns are pretty good,and reall thing sohuld be even better.

All in all,feels like an amazing and versatile choice for starting PU adventure with.
Cheers!

Bigcracker

Space Marshal
Feb 2, 2015
RSI Handle
Bigcracker8789
The freelancer is not a true cargo ship and its not a true dog fighter but it can do both well but not great. I have a Freelancer MIS and cant wait to try it but very happy with the base ship. I think the view will be fixed just not a top priority.

If you want a true cargo ship get a Hull series if you want a true fighter go for the Gladius all in that price range. But I have killed true dogfighters in my freelancer.

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
The freelancer is not a true cargo ship and its not a true dog fighter but it can do both well but not great. I have a Freelancer MIS and cant wait to try it but very happy with the base ship. I think the view will be fixed just not a top priority.

If you want a true cargo ship get a Hull series if you want a true fighter go for the Gladius all in that price range. But I have killed true dogfighters in my freelancer.
I wouldn't say it's not a true cargo ship, but it doesn't sacrifice everything else to pack in more cargo space. It's more like a protected cargo ship, for smuggling or precious deliveries.

Reactions: Tortilla the Hun
Forgot your password?