Fury X reviews thread

Jul 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Salt_Lake
Post any reviews you can find.

Looks like it is competitive against 980ti and titan x. For 650 that includes a AIO cooler, I would recommend it to anyone looking for a great top end performance card that doesnt want to do a DIY water cooler or 3rd party AIO cooler. The other is EVGA 980ti hybrid but it costs more.

http://www.digitalstorm.com/unlocked/amd-fury-x-performance-benchmarks-idnum360/

http://m.hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/84170-amd-radeon-r9-fury-x-4gb/

http://m.hardocp.com/article/2015/06/24/amd_radeon_r9_fury_x_video_card_review/2

http://www.techpowerup.com/mobile/reviews/AMD/R9_Fury_X/1.html

Linus Tech Tips video:

Last edited:

Krystal LeChuck

Meme Meister
Staff member
Officer
Jun 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Krystal

Krystal LeChuck

Meme Meister
Staff member
Officer
Jun 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Krystal
images aren't appearing on my computer for tomshardware. Just my hotel internet?
They show fine here. Could be overloaded servers since everyone is rushing to see those benchies.

PaulEPeptide

Space Marshal
Dec 20, 2013
RSI Handle
PaulEPeptide
I'm dying to see what the benchmarks look like once AMD removes the voltage restriction. Seems to go blow for blow with the 980ti in most scenarios now, bit it seems like it has a ton of headroom to work with for overclocking.

I got one on newegg this morning, I can't wait for it to show up.

Jul 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Salt_Lake
I'm dying to see what the benchmarks look like once AMD removes the voltage restriction. Seems to go blow for blow with the 980ti in most scenarios now, bit it seems like it has a ton of headroom to work with for overclocking.

I got one on newegg this morning, I can't wait for it to show up.
I am still awaiting official statements, so far some reviewers have said AMD has no plans to change it. It already uses more voltage than nvidia and might e trying to prevent another 290x issue. tbh at 300+ watts and still just a pinch lower than 980ti, I think OC is still limited even without voltage control. Another issue is no custom PCB so custom 980ti PCBs will still perform superior to the fury x.

Edit: at this time people are saying voltages are unlocked.

Last edited:

Annitias

Minister of Propaganda
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Oct 5, 2014
RSI Handle
Annitias
Also a thing to note, with driver improvements I would not be shocked by a 20% improvement in the next 3 months or so.

As for the price, I do see it falling down to 580-600 in 3 months as well. This card is a beast if you have 4k but is massive overkill for any 1080 setup including double monitor. Only at 1440 and up will it really shine.

The card also has quite some headroom to over clock. I project about 30% upticks in most retail cards if their PSU is of good quality.

Last note, you need, yes NEED PCIe 3.0 for this card. This card needs the stability from it as well as it will saturate a 2.0 x16 when slightly OC'd.
So people with anything before a 4xxx i5/i7 and 8000 amd chips are going to feel a crunch

Jul 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Salt_Lake
Also a thing to note, with driver improvements I would not be shocked by a 20% improvement in the next 3 months or so.

As for the price, I do see it falling down to 580-600 in 3 months as well. This card is a beast if you have 4k but is massive overkill for any 1080 setup including double monitor. Only at 1440 and up will it really shine.

The card also has quite some headroom to over clock. I project about 30% upticks in most retail cards if their PSU is of good quality.

Last note, you need, yes NEED PCIe 3.0 for this card. This card needs the stability from it as well as it will saturate a 2.0 x16 when slightly OC'd.
So people with anything before a 4xxx i5/i7 and 8000 amd chips are going to feel a crunch
I will not comment on drivers as I have seen both AMD *and* Nvidia fuck up drivers. I stand by my policy of slower until proven stable and better.

You are right this card shines at 4k/1440p, 1080p is a cage for it. That is any high end card these days though.

As for the price, we sre going to see it be 650 for the long run. It is at 980ti levels, has a AIO cooler, and uses HBM. AMD is the only adopter of HBM 1.0 at this time. New tech is not cheap. Intel and Nvidia will adopt HBM but later generation. Nvidia will use 1.1/1.2 for Pascal.

Overclocking has already been shown in the rwviews and hexus was only able to get 90MHz improvement. I thought that it might be caused by the locked voltage but OC.net states that voltages are unlocked. We will have to wait to see if hexus and LTT partner just were unlucky on the silicone valley but as for now my conclusion is it is not a high OC card. We were warned earlier about this too. I dont have a csrd for me to review but if someone let me borrow one I would. Unfortunately AMD has said no to me doing a review on Fury X, as I slammed them on a 290x and 290 fiasco and said that it felt like a gimmick that 290x is just pre-OC 290, and 290x custom were pre-pre-OC 290's and how they werent evem binned before hand. Also the shitty stock cooler.

The card runs only about 5% slower on pcie 3.0 x8 which is the same bandwidth as pcie 2.0 x16. You won't be running on pcie 2.0 x8 (ie pcie 3.0 x4) as that would kill perfomance.

If you couldnt run pcie 2.0 x16 / pcie 3.0 x8, that would mean you couldnt run more than 1 card on any intel mainstream mother (P/Z series mobo) as they have only 16 lanes. You could run xfire on *some* intel enthusist mobo (X mobo series). x99's 5820k only has 28 lanes but 5930k and 5960x have 40 lanes allowing 2x cards at 16x.

edit: more comments

Last edited:

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
Rumor also says the Fury Non-X, which is air cooled will be about 100 bones less. Little unclocked for stability, but looking at the benchmarks a 550ish card that can (with drivers and a bit of overclocking) tie a 980ti is a marvel.

I'm also eagerly awaiting review for the Fury Nano. Low power draw on a micro card that apparently beats a 290x? Holy snapperdoodles batman.

ninja edit: Fury and Fury Nano are not out for a few weeks/months just in case anyone was wondering.

Forgot your password?