Gaming Laptop

Takeiteasy

Admiral
May 21, 2017
RSI Handle
Takeiteasy
Never even heard of COMSOL so can't comment but you know what tech is like these days, if someone thinks of a good idea then it's already out there somewhere and has been for a while

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
MSI and Razer both make quality gaming laptops.

The MSI product line is confusing as hell, but they have a large array of options. Razer is much easier because there are few options, but they're all good.

Reactions: Beerjerker

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
"Gaming laptops"
Holding one on your lap is about as comfortable as gaming on one. Also, on the higher end models the portability tends to be a bit iffy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beerjerker

EVPilot

Space Marshal
Apr 1, 2018
RSI Handle
EVPilot
If size isn't a big deal I would check out hidevoulutions Cleavo Laptops. They have desktop CPU's and have the capability to run GTX1080sli. I think sli is a waste of money for the little to no performance improvements. They also have custom Prema bios which gives so much more control of your laptop.

wmk

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Feb 19, 2018
RSI Handle
wmk
DSC_0780 copy.JPG

if you get a gaming laptop now, it will be outdated by the end of the year.
Not necessarily -- not these days. Thanks to Thunderbolt 3, it is finally possible to use external GPUs. As long as you have a TB3-equipped laptop with some powerful CPU, you are able to hook up (theoretically) any GPU you want in 3-6 years from now.

I use many laptops, including two gaming machines, an older Asus ROG and relatively new MSI GT73VR with GTX1070 -- the latter one is an SLI laptop that comes with a single GPU, so I could theoretically buy another GTX1070 module and plug it in in few years from now. However it has a TB3 too, that I would probably use to connect an eGPU box with some GTX2070 inside once it is released in 2021 or 2022 / Assuming the gaming industry doesn't find a way to make a better use of a CPU power nor anything like that ; )

BTW, @Shadow Reaper , I have an MSI GT73VR Titan with GTX1070 and 17-inch 4K G-Sync IPS display and I highly recommend it. Even Star Citizen runs very well on it, in 4K on max settings. LIVE 3.1.3 at 20-30 fps, PTU 25-60 fps. And thanks to G-Sync, even lower framerates like >30 fps look smooth on that display.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Thanks for that, but its not for me. Its for my partner who will be running COMSOL on it. A laptop for that costs significantly more than a workstation, and you don't get the nice sized monitor, but it will enable him to work in his off hours and I am all for that. Basically just needs lots of very fast ram and a fast Intel processor (i7 or Xeon is fine)--about 3.6-4.6 Ghz. It needs a decent GPU but any in the last couple generations will do fine.

When I go to buy a gaming machine it will likely be a desktop driving three oversized curved monitors, surrounding a cool gaming chair, that looks half Minority Report and half Death Star. Will be some months yet though. Just hoping to get it before the Sentinel, 600i or Polaris get released.

wmk

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Feb 19, 2018
RSI Handle
wmk
Ah, that COMSOL -- fair enough. Then any desktop-replacement laptop like Lenovo P50 with Xeon (and 4K display) would be much better. I use P50 as a lab workstation and I can recommend it as well.

BTW /a little off the topic then/ while the CAD/CAM and CAE laptop workstations are definitely not gaming machines, they are capable of running *some* games. I didn't have a time to test any game on P50 yet, but I have a Lenovo W530 too (one of the P50 predecessors) and it used to be running Crysis 3 very well.

Last edited:

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker
"Gaming laptops"
Holding one on your lap is about as comfortable as gaming on one. Also, on the higher end models the portability tends to be a bit iffy.
I've been on team laptop for years. Portable enough to set up an office in a hotel if you got to (or just play video games in a hotel and pretend like you're working). Never put one on my actual lap though... does sound unpleasant, heat fans roasting your... nevermind.

Have had good luck with MSI. Currently running a GT702PC (whatever that means?) into the ground. Had it for years and it's still truckin'.

Not having to travel much anymore means I haven't needed the portable office in a long time, but I keep waiting for a certain video game to release so I can upgrade to some ridiculous brain melter desk box.

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
Dude, My Alienware R4 was less than 3k, came with a gtx1080, 4k 17" screen (made by dell and it's 100% adobe rgb), a multitude of ports, awesome RGB lighting, and an overclocking 7th gen i7 processor (too lazy to look up the exact one). I went bare bones on the ram and HD, bought a 1TB m.2 samsung evo 960 for it, 16gb of DDR4, and installed the latest intel wireless card. Since I stranded myself on an island, it's my primary means of entertainment. I can throw anything at it and it handles it no problem. I used to hate Alienware and thought they were overpriced, but whoever took over the brand has done a lot for it. I can't wait to see the next gen they put out, I highly recommend them. Since I was a teenager Ive had issues with MSI and acer is the new kid on the block in comparison. ASUS can't seem to keep up even though they do make a quality product.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
View attachment 9619

Not necessarily -- not these days. Thanks to Thunderbolt 3, it is finally possible to use external GPUs. As long as you have a TB3-equipped laptop with some powerful CPU, you are able to hook up (theoretically) any GPU you want in 3-6 years from now.

I use many laptops, including two gaming machines, an older Asus ROG and relatively new MSI GT73VR with GTX1070 -- the latter one is an SLI laptop that comes with a single GPU, so I could theoretically buy another GTX1070 module and plug it in in few years from now. However it has a TB3 too, that I would probably use to connect an eGPU box with some GTX2070 inside once it is released in 2021 or 2022 / Assuming the gaming industry doesn't find a way to make a better use of a CPU power nor anything like that ; )

BTW, @Shadow Reaper , I have an MSI GT73VR Titan with GTX1070 and 17-inch 4K G-Sync IPS display and I highly recommend it. Even Star Citizen runs very well on it, in 4K on max settings. LIVE 3.1.3 at 20-30 fps, PTU 25-60 fps. And thanks to G-Sync, even lower framerates like >30 fps look smooth on that display.
how much are these external GPUs? cant be cheap i would imagine

Reactions: Talonsbane

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
Reactions: Talonsbane

Phantomoftruth

Space Marshal
Feb 14, 2016
RSI Handle
PhantomofTruth
i'm still using an ASUS ROG gtx750jx. thanks to the USB 3.0 it comes with, and picking up an SSD, I can still run SC. My current belief is inline with many unless there is a critical reason for the form factor, desktops make better gaming machines for the money.

Reactions: wmk and Talonsbane
Forgot your password?