Gaming Rig for Under $500

Xian-Luc Picard

Space Marshal
Jan 9, 2016
RSI Handle
Xian-Luc_Picard
I know some of you pride yourselves in building decent performing gaming rigs for under $500, so I have a challenge for you.

My 8 year old son is saving his money up to build his first gaming rig. He is currently using an old laptop of mine that can't really play more than Minecraft. He is going to front half the money and I am fronting the other half... the thing is, if we can keep the cost low, it allows me to get some accessories for him; so keeping the cost low is priority. I don't really have any requirements other than cost and the ability to play newer games on decent setting. I would prefer that the parts come from well established sites like Amazon or Newegg.

Reactions: CrudeSasquatch

Bruce

Grand Admiral
May 23, 2017
RSI Handle
ABAP
I think you'd need to cheat, and give him some old monitor and some mouse/keyboard .
With those two assumptions -something like https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.3104100 would solve your "starting gaming rig" request, but I'd recommend to invest a bit more and have a look at https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.3085016

in both cases It would work better than any "old laptop" , and down the road you could upgrade processor to i5 or i7 quad cores w/o big additional investment. Unfortunately any AMD alternatives ~ this pricerange would bring you to the deadend (no upgrades etc. )

Sorry for recommendation to stay slightly above 500 but 1060 worth it

( oh yes - you'd need to install some *nix on those :) )

Reactions: Xian-Luc Picard

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
$500 is very hard to do without any spare parts laying around like cases or PSUs, but you would always get somewhat close doing a R5 1400 with like 8GB ram a 1TB drive and something like a 1050 ti. Do you have anything laying around to start from? At least an old monitor and keyboard/mouse? that would at least help cut cost. I can throw a build together for you real quick to show the bare minimum you would need :)

Reactions: Xian-Luc Picard

Xian-Luc Picard

Space Marshal
Jan 9, 2016
RSI Handle
Xian-Luc_Picard
$500 is very hard to do without any spare parts laying around like cases or PSUs, but you would always get somewhat close doing a R5 1400 with like 8GB ram a 1TB drive and something like a 1050 ti. Do you have anything laying around to start from? At least an old monitor and keyboard/mouse? that would at least help cut cost. I can throw a build together for you real quick to show the bare minimum you would need :slight_smile:
I have some old components to start with but I wanted to get a base line to start from. Keyboard, monitor, and mouse I have lying around. I moght have a case and PSU to use as well from an old PC.

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
I have some old components to start with but I wanted to get a base line to start from. Keyboard, monitor, and mouse I have lying around. I moght have a case and PSU to use as well from an old PC.
oh nice if you have that stuff laying around and a case/ok psu that gives you wiggle room for either more cpu or gpu :)

Forgot your password?