>>> Gauna's museum of TEST propaganda <<<

Kal

Space Marshal
Nov 2, 2015
RSI Handle
SamuraiKal
Since we're digressing, chromatic aberration is in no way similar to red/blue shifting or any other form of relativistic doppler effect.
I agree that the mechanism is in no way similar, but the result of both is a change in the perceived light from it's original form. I was merely making a correlation between the use of chromatic aberration by sci-fi artists with a natural phenomena that causes color shifts on the cosmic("sci-fi") scale.

My mind makes weird connections sometimes ;)

Edit:
P.S. I love the infographics xD

Reactions: Ammorn

RipVanDan

Space Marshal
Dec 23, 2014
RSI Handle
RipVanDan
Since we're digressing, chromatic aberration is in no way similar to red/blue shifting or any other form of relativistic doppler effect.

Chromatic aberration occurs when a lens is not able to properly focus all visible wavelengths of light to the same point (the camera film or photo sensor). When light travels through a camera lens the following effect happens:

The light enters the prism "in focus". Meaning all of the wavelengths are one beam. However, upon exiting the prism, as you can see, the wavelengths scatter as they all refract at different angles. Higher wavelengths (more purple) refract at a much greater angle than the lower wavelengths (more red)

That's why a camera lens is made of both focusing and correcting lenses. Without a lens to correct the refraction when the photo is taken, chromatic aberration occurs.

Light enters the focusing lens for the purpose of magnifying what you're photographing. However, those same beams of light must then re-refracted through a correcting lens. The spot where the beams of light all converge is the focal point and, as long as all of your lenses are calibrated properly, that point is where you will find either film or the photo sensor.

In terms of the effects artistic usage, I personally have never seen it used so heavily in general sci-fi art. That's not to say that the effect isn't used at all, but generally it is purposefully so subtle as to be almost unnoticeable. It will add a level of photo-realism that you cannot obtain otherwise, but generally when utilizing lens filtering, applying a slight focus blur is more effective than an aberration distortion simply due to the fact that the human brain can easily compute motion blurring, but we aren't able to mentally correct for chromatic aberration. It's one of those things that fall firmly in the uncanny valley. Without it, things seem almost *too* perfect, but too much of it can be distracting. The exception to this would obviously be if the piece was designed with this type of distortion effect in mind.

I understand, it's distorted due to Aurora blottage...

Gauna

Graphic Goddess
Officer
Nov 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Gauna

Chromatic aberration occurs when a lens is not able to properly focus all visible wavelengths of light to the same point (the camera film or photo sensor). When light travels through a camera lens the following effect happens:

The light enters the prism "in focus". Meaning all of the wavelengths are one beam. However, upon exiting the prism, as you can see, the wavelengths scatter as they all refract at different angles. Higher wavelengths (more purple) refract at a much greater angle than the lower wavelengths (more red)

That's why a camera lens is made of both focusing and correcting lenses. Without a lens to correct the refraction when the photo is taken, chromatic aberration occurs.

Light enters the focusing lens for the purpose of magnifying what you're photographing. However, those same beams of light must then re-refracted through a correcting lens. The spot where the beams of light all converge is the focal point and, as long as all of your lenses are calibrated properly, that point is where you will find either film or the photo sensor.

In terms of the effects artistic usage, I personally have never seen it used so heavily in general sci-fi art. That's not to say that the effect isn't used at all, but generally it is purposefully so subtle as to be almost unnoticeable. It will add a level of photo-realism that you cannot obtain otherwise, but generally when utilizing lens filtering, applying a slight focus blur is more effective than an aberration distortion simply due to the fact that the human brain can easily compute motion blurring, but we aren't able to mentally correct for chromatic aberration. It's one of those things that fall firmly in the uncanny valley. Without it, things seem almost *too* perfect, but too much of it can be distracting. The exception to this would obviously be if the piece was designed with this type of distortion effect in mind.

Wow!

Very interesting to read about that "Chromatic Aberration", i didn't even know about it. I guess I'd kill DeviantArt, the art website who gave me a cancer that caused me the addiction of Chromatic Aberration effects. Hell, if you check some sci-fi arts drew by professionnal artists on DA, you can see them clearly. xD

Thanks you very much for explain, professor Cricket.

Reactions: EpilepticCricket

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
Aurora blottage, what an elegant phrase

I can just picture one of our fleet commanders giving the order to attack...

"Commence Autora blottage!"
I propose the verb "blomping" to denote the activity of releasing a sufficient quantity of Auroras to significantly impede light from a nearby sun.

Reactions: Ammorn and ZoNoS

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
So... A joint effort would be "Test Xplor" or "Xplor Test". Both can be quite kinky.

Anyway I made a quick and dirty thing. It definitely needs some work, but I'm tired so I'll let you guys decide where to take it from here.

I tried registering on the XPLOR forums, but it wouldn't send me a confirmation link. Guess I have to be an affiliate or something to hang out there.

Reactions: Ammorn and honcho12

Gauna

Graphic Goddess
Officer
Nov 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Gauna

Anyway I made a quick and dirty thing. It definitely needs some work, but I'm tired so I'll let you guys decide where to take it from here.

I tried registering on the XPLOR forums, but it wouldn't send me a confirmation link. Guess I have to be an affiliate or something to hang out there.
Hahaha. Totally loved it but you don't want to register on XPLOR. XD

Reactions: CosmicTrader

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
Take a guess. 10 to 1 it is the correct statement.
Their leadership thinks we're a big bad trolling pirate organization with the sole intent of ruining as many player's fun as possible?

I'm legitimately guessing here. I didn't think XPLOR had any real problem with us.

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader
Gosh TESTies let's just forget about that other org, what's their name.

Let's go CityBoppin instead.

Wow, that img would make a great Banner for my CityBoppin - BarHoppin theme.
You are very busy @Gauna so there is no rush but if one day you get some time, I would love a Banner with this image and my CityBoppin - BarHoppin slogan. It would look awesome done by your very talented and professional hands.

I wish I had that bus back in the 60s. Oh dear, now you all know that 'ol Cosmic was a hippie before his naval career. Oh deary dear.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ammorn and chrizz

SeungRyul

Spreader of Truth / Master of Hamsters
Staff member
Donor
Oct 30, 2013
RSI Handle
Citizen404
Can ask you for a small request? One of our original signatures was the following image (made by myself in Powerpoint :P). I was wondering if you could do a more polished version of it since you seem much better at the magical looping gifs than me!

Reactions: Ammorn and chrizz

Myre

Pit Crew
Staff member
Feb 12, 2015
RSI Handle
Myre
You made that in powerpoint? I didn't know such wizardy was possible!

Forgot your password?