GeForce Now -- it looks like Shadow and other streaming services (cough Stadia) are facing some competition.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
This just launched today...you can set up a free account or you can pay $4.99 a month for priority access and "RTX on" whatever that means...

I'm very curious about finding out more about this, I'll be giving it a whirl later today or this week.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
You seem like you know a bit about these things, which one isn't shite works best for games? Do any of them work better than my Potato PC? (FX8350 and 10mb/s download internet speed)
lol, I don't think I know that much...I have experience using Shadow & Stadia (a little bit).

The details are scarce on the GeForce Now website, but it looks like you can access your own games (at least Steam games) with the streaming service, but I want confirm that.

At least with Shadow, as long as you have a PC capable of streaming and the right internet connection speed, any old rig could get good enough performance to run pretty much any current AAA game, and even play SC pretty decently. Shadow says they need 15 Mb/s for optimal performance; my own experience was that I seemed to need 30 Mb/s for optimal performance.

I haven't been able to get any details from the Nvidia site, but later today I'll sign up and see what I can find out. FYI, Shadow is not available in all areas, not sure if GeForce Now will have similar geographic restrictions (I hope not!).

wmk

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Feb 19, 2018
RSI Handle
wmk
This just launched today...you can set up a free account or you can pay $4.99 a month for priority access and "RTX on" whatever that means...

I'm very curious about finding out more about this, I'll be giving it a whirl later today or this week.
GeForce NOW was one of the first cloud gaming services; it entered Beta stage a long before Microsoft announced Stadia.

We've been using it with my wife since 2018 as beta testers (close beta), and we loved it. I was playing many different games on it as part of the testing, my wife completed The Division, Ghost Recon Wildlands and The Witcher III GOTY on it. We basically had a free gaming rig for almost 2 years.

@Radegast74 @NaffNaffBobFace GFN requires 30Mbps, however better connection means better quality, especially if you have multiple devices connected to the Internet at home; I used to have 120Mbps and stability (percentage of the sessions with no compression artefacts on the screen nor decreased resolution) increased from 85-90% to o 99.5% when my ISP upgraded my broadband to 300Mbps.

I don't know ShadowPlay, but GeforceNOW is very cool, fast and it's going to be pretty cheap for the next 12 months. Plus, a free account allows you to test it before upgrading to the premium one, with priority access (the service is busy on Saturdays; sometimes you need to wait in line for a bit), and virtual RTX GPU (which works pretty cool, however not all servers in Nvidia Data Centres have been upgraded to it yet).

And by the way... GFN works on a PC, Mac and Android devices... ; )

30609584488_65079f0e51_o.jpg

(Apple MacBook Pro with wireless Xbox 360 controller)

---------

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
GeForce NOW was one of the first cloud gaming services; it entered Beta stage a long before Microsoft announced Stadia.

We've been using it with my wife since 2018 as beta testers (close beta), and we loved it. I was playing many different games on it as part of the testing, my wife completed The Division, Ghost Recon Wildlands and The Witcher III GOTY on it. We basically had a free gaming rig for almost 2 years.

@Radegast74 @NaffNaffBobFace GFN requires 30Mbps, however better connection means better quality, especially if you have multiple devices connected to the Internet at home; I used to have 120Mbps and stability (percentage of the sessions with no compression artefacts on the screen nor decreased resolution) increased from 85-90% to o 99.5% when my ISP upgraded my broadband to 300Mbps.

I don't know ShadowPlay, but GeforceNOW is very cool, fast and it's going to be pretty cheap for the next 12 months. Plus, a free account allows you to test it before upgrading to the premium one, with priority access (the service is busy on Saturdays; sometimes you need to wait in line for a bit), and virtual RTX GPU (which works pretty cool, however not all servers in Nvidia Data Centres have been upgraded to it yet).

And by the way... GFN works on a PC, Mac and Android devices... ; )

View attachment 14903

(Apple MacBook Pro with wireless Xbox 360 controller)

---------
Cheers for the details, 30mb/s means I'm going to be waiting a long time for it to be a viable option in the wilds of Lincolnshire :like:

wmk

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Feb 19, 2018
RSI Handle
wmk
Cheers for the details, 30mb/s means I'm going to be waiting a long time for it to be a viable option in the wilds of Lincolnshire :like:

Sorry, small correction: apparently Nvidia managed to lower requirements -- you need 25Mbps for 1080p @ 60fps. 15Mbps is enough for 720p @ 60fps, but you don't wanna play at 1280×720px...

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
... but you don't wanna play at 1280×720px...

back in the day I played Wing Commander on a 320 x 480 monochrome monitor

after trudging the five miles home from school uphill through raging snow drifts

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
Biggest issue which will never ever go away from these streaming games is the ping. When you play an online game you own the data, so the only lag you get is input lag. Here you get stream lag on top of input lag and if its anywhere near 100 total ping you will notice the difference and for a lot that isnt manageable. Imagine playing Dark Souls with a 100ms ping >.<

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
well that's your fault for not asking @SeungRyul to turn off the snow
ha ha, @SeungRyul was just a twinkle in his Daddy's eye when I started playing Wing Commander

and the reality is that the trudge home from school was from one side of Phoenix to the other in rush-hour traffic

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Biggest issue which will never ever go away from these streaming games is the ping. When you play an online game you own the data, so the only lag you get is input lag. Here you get stream lag on top of input lag and if its anywhere near 100 total ping you will notice the difference and for a lot that isnt manageable. Imagine playing Dark Souls with a 100ms ping >.<
My ping is 132ms, so with the signal going down the line and the stream image coming back up i'm looking at 264ms or a quarter of a second input lag...

Think i'll be keeping my pennies in my pocket.

Reactions: Vavrik and Scape

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
My ping is 132ms, so with the signal going down the line and the stream image coming back up i'm looking at 264ms or a quarter of a second input lag...

Think i'll be keeping my pennies in my pocket.
Kind of a good plan right now. These servers need to be pretty close, with high throughput networks in order to be viable. Note I didn't say bandwidth, I said throughput.
But ping is a round trip measurement, to the server and back. Playing an MMO, or accessing a corporate database... whether or not that has an impact depends on a few other things. However if you need less than 100 ms ping, then 130 ms is high.

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace
Forgot your password?