Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
http://imperialnews.network/2016/02/reverse-the-verse-episode-82-liveblog/

Ship Highlights:
  • He’s been doing real work too. Two ship kickoffs. The Drake ‘Monarch’, that changed to the Corsair, and changed to the Buccaneer, which should be the final name. Lots of arguments about it, name’s too piratey, corsair’s a cool name, too ‘stupid’ that butterflies come from a Caterpillar etc…
  • Ben has just confirmed that they will be making the Dragonfly.
  • The Corvette will be RSI manufactured, tentative name is Polaris.
  • The Buccaneer is a highly maneuverable pirate fighter. It’s Rob Irving’s Cutlass.
  • [Polaris? Any info?] No information yet. Even the name isn’t locked down. Disco can repair pools. They’ve had initial planning meetings on the Polaris on where they want to take it. Goal is to be the ship the Idris was originally announced at.
  • 100-110 meters.
  • No concept yet, gonna start that kickoff on Tuesday or Wednesday. Design is working on an art brief on it. Chris has been talking about this a lot, cause he promised a Corvette early on. It’s a capital-sized ship. Probably the capital size combat ship.
  • The Drake Buccanneer – No concrete specs on it right now, but take a look at the post on the forum for a few quick ideas on what they’re looking for the ship to be. The forum thread will be up for a few months while the ship awaits its turn in the ship queue

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
I tried to watch on YouTube but they posted last week's with today's date.

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
This is too funny and I can't believe I didn't notice it until now. The Corvette they are shooting for will be 100-110 meters like RtV says. To put that in perspective here are some examples:

Starfarer - 90m
Merchantman - 100m
Hull C - 104m
Carrack - 123m
Reclaimer - 158m
Orion - 170m

The new Corvette will literally be about the size of a Hull C with the spindle is deployed. The Corvette is supposed to be the smallest capital ship. An Orion will make it look tiny by comparison. Due to this I doubt the Polaris will have any kind of internal hangar but it will be loaded with weapons for sure.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Unshaven

Commander
May 7, 2015
RSI Handle
Unshaven
Nice Black Sunder-

Ever since they announced that a new corvette would be designed to back fill what became the Idris, I've sort of had these in the back of my mind.

These are some of the unused Anvil Carrack design concepts (Subscribers area, Carrack Concept Gallery).

I sort of pictured one of these or something similar being developed into the new corvette.

The size and shape are about right. Some have a nice, proper bridge on top too.

You could almost stick a spinal mount rail gun on the first one and call it a day.

Last edited:

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
Nice Black Sunder-

Ever since they announced that a new corvette would be designed to back fill what became the Idris, I've sort of had these in the back of my mind.

These are some of the unused Anvil Carrack design concepts (Subscribers area, Carrack Concept Gallery).

I sort of pictured one of these or something similar being developed into the new corvette.

You could almost stick a spinal mount rail gun on the first one and call it a day.

That first picture gives me a very submarine vibe.

Derkerter

Space Marshal
Feb 20, 2015
RSI Handle
Derkerter
I'm hoping the polaris becomes somewhat of a gun-boat/support-fire type corvette instead of a brawler. Turret layout for full 360 coverage, similar to the Talis' but with a good broadside capability OR strong forward. I'm not much of a follower for this kind of stuff though. I just want more combat-support big-ships (5-15 man big-bombers, long range gunboats, missile-boats, E-war, etc), so I can fight, without dog-fighting and without having to man a huge (16+ man) ship, right now the Tali is about it when it comes to that type of thing.
Edit: changed numbers slightly

I'm still waiting on more starfarer info. I want to see the ship that I'm going to basically live in for the first 6months and is going to be my primary source of profit sitting in my hangar.

NemeSys

Commander
Jan 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Star-Geezer
Nice Black Sunder-

I've been daydreaming and drooling over the first one for a long time; even went so far as to break down the measurements by comparing the Carrack's pods to these.....

Kind of a punch in the nuts that they want RSI to make it though; this was a Carrack prototype, obviously Aegis, so this beauty will not be the new Corvette. Major bummer. :/

Reactions: Unshaven

Unshaven

Commander
May 7, 2015
RSI Handle
Unshaven
I've been daydreaming and drooling over the first one for a long time; even went so far as to break down the measurements by comparing the Carrack's pods to these.....

Kind of a punch in the nuts that they want RSI to make it though; this was a Carrack prototype, obviously Aegis, so this beauty will not be the new Corvette. Major bummer. :/

I wonder if they will do something like just doubling the size of the Connie and making a Super Connie/Polaris out of it?

Adiran

Admiral
Mar 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Adiran
This is too funny and I can't believe I didn't notice it until now. The Corvette they are shooting for will be 100-110 meters like RtV says. To put that in perspective here are some examples:

Starfarer - 90m
Merchantman - 100m
Hull C - 104m
Carrack - 123m
Reclaimer - 158m
Orion - 170m

The new Corvette will literally be about the size of a Hull C with the spindle is deployed. The Corvette is supposed to be the smallest capital ship. An Orion will make it look tiny by comparison. Due to this I doubt the Polaris will have any kind of internal hangar but it will be loaded with weapons for sure.
My main question is this...
If the new Corvette is going to be the smallest capital ship dedicated for combat and be smaller than the Carrack and the 890 Jump, does that mean that they will become considered capital ships and not large multi-crew ships like they are classified now?

Because as I understood it the Reclaimer and Orion were always considered capital class ships dedicated to their roles. but the Carrack at least has always been considered a large Multi-crew ship dedicated to exploration. If that's the case that will be awesome!!

I wonder if they will do something like just doubling the size of the Connie and making a Super Connie/Polaris out of it?
All I can say is it will be very reminiscent of the Connie and the Aurora if RSI is the manufacturer. So I am certain I will like the look.

Unshaven

Commander
May 7, 2015
RSI Handle
Unshaven
If the new Corvette is going to be the smallest capital ship dedicated for combat and be smaller than the Carrack and the 890 Jump, does that mean that they will become considered capital ships and not large multi-crew ships like they are classified now?

Because as I understood it the Reclaimer and Orion were always considered capital class ships dedicated to their roles. but the Carrack at least has always been considered a large Multi-crew ship dedicated to exploration. If that's the case that will be awesome!!

All I can say is it will be very reminiscent of the Connie and the Aurora if RSI is the manufacturer. So I am certain I will like the look.

I'd like to see it be small enough to be ran by a small crew. Capital ship in the firepower dept., "multi-crew" in the low crew size dept.

Most of the ships seem to grow in size a bit during the transition from concept to flyable. Perhaps the Polaris will be no different. I could see it coming in around 120-140 once it settles out.

RSI ships seem to have a slight "look what we made in our garage" look to them, which is cool.

On a side note, the Bell Anzac designs are nice and they have been rolling out some corvette designs. They showed a stealth corvette called the Southern Cross that looked pretty cool (wide). The BA Alexander Class Destroyer looks awesome. Not RSI but interesting.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/261553/the-light-horse-class-frigate-a-bell-anzac-wip-thread

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/319249/new-southern-cross-corvette-bell-anzac-wip-thread

http://starcitizen.mmmos.com/?p=view&uid=540d0b0ab47cb&title=alexander-awd-class-destroyer-bell-anzac-wip-thread

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder

Now that is a question I'd also like an answer to.

Derkerter

Space Marshal
Feb 20, 2015
RSI Handle
Derkerter
@Black Sunder @Blind Owl @Adiran I figure the "capital ship" designation may come from the "use origins" from the ship. Now, this is just how I personally think of things, but I personally see differences between capitals, carriers, cap-carriers, super-transports, etc, even though they may all be huge ships. The designation of capital may have something to do with how it compares to others in their class, such as the Orion being a capital mining ship due to <reasons>, even though something may be larger. The capital designation could deal with a number of factors, size being one, but not the entire reasoning of the capital designation. When it comes to the Navy, there's this saying I heard somewhere along the lines of "If an enemy has beaten the navy, but not her Capitals, then we still win, but if the enemy has destroyed the Capitals, we're done for."

A Capital Corvette would be smaller than a capital mining ship, and bigger than a capital people-mover, all because of what they need for their roles. Corvette needs maneuverability, guns, and defenses, mining ship needs huge ore holds and processing abilities, and a people mover needs to be fast and comfortable.

Not much of an answer really, since this is feeding off the top of my head, but, the possibility is there. TL;DR I feel the Capital Term comes more from comparison of capability of ships in it's similar class, and less with size.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I feel the Capital Term comes more from comparison of capability of ships in it's similar class, and less with size.
I get your meaning, and you do have a very good point. A Carrack, though, should technically meet those requirements in the "exploration" category. Shes certainly not going to be on the front line with the navy fighting vessels, but in her class . . .

Adiran

Admiral
Mar 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Adiran
@Black Sunder @Blind Owl @Adiran I figure the "capital ship" designation may come from the "use origins" from the ship. Now, this is just how I personally think of things, but I personally see differences between capitals, carriers, cap-carriers, super-transports, etc, even though they may all be huge ships. The designation of capital may have something to do with how it compares to others in their class, such as the Orion being a capital mining ship due to <reasons>, even though something may be larger. The capital designation could deal with a number of factors, size being one, but not the entire reasoning of the capital designation. When it comes to the Navy, there's this saying I heard somewhere along the lines of "If an enemy has beaten the navy, but not her Capitals, then we still win, but if the enemy has destroyed the Capitals, we're done for."

A Capital Corvette would be smaller than a capital mining ship, and bigger than a capital people-mover, all because of what they need for their roles. Corvette needs maneuverability, guns, and defenses, mining ship needs huge ore holds and processing abilities, and a people mover needs to be fast and comfortable.

Not much of an answer really, since this is feeding off the top of my head, but, the possibility is there. TL;DR I feel the Capital Term comes more from comparison of capability of ships in it's similar class, and less with size.
The term capital in this sense is all about the size. meaning smallest are single seat fighters, next largest is multi-crew, then after that is capital. but capital ships have different sizes as well. The class of ship is more or less what it is designed to do. So if the Corvette is the same size roughly as the Carrack then it goes without saying that the Carrack is also a corvette, or at least should be considered one.

Only reference I can give is from my personal experience since I am in the US Navy. Across all countries in the world ships of a certain size are referred to as a certain ship. A frigate in modern naval terms is a ship that has a certain displacement (or weight of water required to be displaced so it can float. Way of determining its overall size). So if another country wants to make a ship the same size as one of the US frigates, we would call it a frigate, even if they want to call it a cruiser. Yes to them it is a cruiser but it is equal in size to our frigates so we would classify it as one.

Smallest capital ship being corvette, then frigate, then destroyer, then cruiser, and so on. Dont know exactly what capital ship sizes they will incorporate. we do know they will have Corvette, Frigate, Destroyer, then carrier as the different classes of capital ship, but they can always add in cruisers and so on as time progresses.

Adiran

Admiral
Mar 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Adiran
So the new Corvette is going to be a Combat Corvette.
The Carrack would be a Exploration Corvette.
The 890 Jump would be a Touring Corvette.
Starfarer would be a Personnel Transport Corvette.
Merchantman would be a Cargo or Store Corvette.
Hull - C would be a Cargo Transport Corvette. (unless they want to do the class as a specific design. To be honest I dont think they have ever stated the criteria for each class.)

We could go on but that is how I see the class/size working for these ships. Am i right? maybe not. Until they put out a set criteria all we can do is call it what they are calling it.

Forgot your password?