Google Cardboard?

Jaws

Vice Admiral
Donor
Aug 11, 2014
RSI Handle
Metzli
I've found a few reddit threads and YouTube videos of people who have done this. I'm getting a DODOCase developers kit through work to test out for other applications and was curious if anyone here has actually attempted using a Google Cardboard kit with SC? If no one has then I'll be sure to post the results whatever they may be.

Jaws

Vice Admiral
Donor
Aug 11, 2014
RSI Handle
Metzli
As most people who have tried it out have said, there is a reason that the Oculus costs $350. I don't think I've ever felt as motion sick as simply using the basic apps on Google Cardboard. Using an LG G3, which seems to not like the DODO VR NFC chip very much. It constantly pops up with a friendly reminder that using NFC repeatedly will drain my battery... even though the phone is plugged in. The LG G3 also has a problem trying to orient itself while being used for VR. It likes to "drift" left or right, like old Gamecube controllers when you turned on the system while holding the thumb stick over, it just automatically goes all the way in one direction. I have access to a Samsung Galaxy 5 and I'll give that a try to see if the results are better.

However it is a very cool "proof of concept" and sort of a "my first VR". With some tweaking I'm sure that it might even be viable for gaming. But I highly doubt it will replace current dedicated VR headsets. And using the G3 it is definitely not reliable enough to be used in Star Citizen. Unless you want to puke and pass out from something OTHER than booze... and who wants to do that?!

Forgot your password?