Google Cloud outage - SC, Discord and more affected

JeffCraig

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 9, 2015
RSI Handle
JeffCraig
I'm sure that many of you have noticed that Discord isn't connecting at the moment. I noticed that a lot of other services are affected as well (Star Citizen, Spotify, etc), so I went over to check the status of Google Cloud:

https://status.cloud.google.com/

April 11, 2016 Google Compute Engine reporting issues

I just thought it would be worth noting here that Star Citizen is using Google Cloud for their server infrastructure. It looks like CIG is also using it for their website, since robertspaceindustires also wen't down at the same time as Discord/SC. So, I guess that this is just a PSA that, in the future, when we deal with SC outages, the first place to check is the status of Google Cloud.

Interestingly, Star Citizen was the first service that has come back online for me, so their fail-over mechanisms are already amazingly good. Either they got lucky, and were in the first wave of Googles fail-overs, or they already have a robust setup for keeping SC highly available :D

Fox Frenzy

Admiral
Apr 7, 2016
RSI Handle
FoxFrenzy
I have a self-hosted Team Speak server that's available if voice chat is needed in an emergency. It can be connected to with binxinxtattoos.com because I have not gotten around to buying the proper domain name. @_@

Reactions: JeffCraig

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
Interestingly, Star Citizen was the first service that has come back online for me, so their fail-over mechanisms are already amazingly good.
Besides of that, nearly everything within SC is running amazingly good considering the short development time, its status, and the MASS of users and the HUGE expectations. :cool:

Carlos Spicyweiner

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2015
RSI Handle
DMGunslinger
I was wondering why I couldn't get on. At first I thought, "new patch"! Then I just figured CIG hated me. Thanks for the clarification, Jeff!(CIG probably still hates me, though)

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
But the cloud can not go down!!!!!!!!!

Can it???!!!!

That is what they told me when I was buying the could!!!

Dalarast

Space Marshal
Oct 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Dalarast
Living a block from the Google campus I can verify that the sky's have been clear and not many clouds in the sky.....

Forgot your password?