Got a buddy who wants to fulltime stream

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
https://www.twitch.tv/qlessgamer

Atm he is trying WoT. Guess I should put more into this >.> I'm trying to convert him into a Testie and he fits the gloves. Polish dude who drinks vodka and loves to play video games, he just finished college and has always been talking about becoming a streamer, guy is vocally active and has great conversations. He just needs a helping hand joining us and getting things started on his end.

Last edited:

Myre

Pit Crew
Staff member
Feb 12, 2015
RSI Handle
Myre
Two useful links for your buddy:

https://help.twitch.tv/customer/en/portal/topics/925393-beginner-broadcasting/articles

http://www.reddit.com/r/twitch

If he's just starting fresh, the first thing to do would be to find out what streaming software best fits his needs. In terms of difficulty configuring from hardest to easiest that I have tried, OBS Classic is the most complicated of platforms to use but is probably more rewarding to people more technically inclined. I moved over to OBS Studio and it is a lot more intuitive/user friendly. Paid for solutions like XSplit also exist.

Going into streaming 'full time' without some sort previous viewer-base / business plan / source of income is a pretty risky thing to do for someone literally just coming out of college as your success relies on viewers, viewer retention and donations/tips etc. His latest vod was an Xbox stream; console streams on Twitch typically get the lowest views on the platform save for the odd exclusive so he may have an edge in that regard.

Most people won't see a profit for months if not years without some kind of viral growth/external influence so I suggest he makes a YouTube channel where he can put content on as well and try to divert viewers from that to his channel too.

Other than that, best of luck!

Reactions: RipVanDan

Stoutman

Space Marshal
May 1, 2016
RSI Handle
Stoutman
He really should be up and streaming before he decides he wants to do it full time. Just getting up and running will help him decide if he wants to deal with the headaches of streaming...

Reactions: JeffCraig

FireEmblem6

Captain
Feb 27, 2016
RSI Handle
FireEmblem6
What others have said. He should try it out at first. It isn't as easy as people may think. Even though I have our setup (me and my wife) going well, there is always something to fix.

I also recommend that he takes time and support other channels first. I try my best to support as many testies as I can, but you can usually find me at Myre's channel. He is the guy who convinced me to get star citizen and to join test!

He should also give himself a time line, or goal markers. We really don't know a lot of people so we are starting off with smaller goals and then increasing the goal if we find success.

Also, a very key thing .... I wouldn't recommend playing games that have a ton of viewers like WoT or brand new games. Unless you show up on the front page, it is hard to get people into your channel. (Without outside assistance)

I wish him the best of luck!

Reactions: Myre
Forgot your password?