GSM Burner Phone Suggestions

DarthMunkee

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMunkee
You could probably pick up an old Pixel or Pixel 2 on eBay for relatively cheap. Get a sim card for it and run a decent VPN on it while you are out and about. I would go with something like Private Internet Access because there is almost always a discount available through Linus Tech Tips for them. And as far as I know, the Pixel line of phones should be able to work just about anywhere.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
You could probably pick up an old Pixel or Pixel 2 on eBay for relatively cheap. Get a sim card for it and run a decent VPN on it while you are out and about. I would go with something like Private Internet Access because there is almost always a discount available through Linus Tech Tips for them. And as far as I know, the Pixel line of phones should be able to work just about anywhere.
Roger Roger. Thanks a million

Reactions: Bambooza

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
Any device you take to certain locations will be compromised. Regardless of device choice I would recommend not using internet banking etc. and set up travel accounts for social media

at-2500

Vice Admiral
Donor
Aug 24, 2018
RSI Handle
at2500
Any device you take to certain locations will be compromised. Regardless of device choice I would recommend not using internet banking etc. and set up travel accounts for social media
Woah now I feel careless for simply taking my iPhone for my around the world trip... what exactly is the threat you guys are preparing against? I'd mostly be concerned with ATM scams.
I mean I'd probably be way more concerned if going to the US because of all the security theatre, but Asia is so safe for tourists in comparison with (South-, Central- and North-) America and Africa that I wouldn't bother getting a separate phone. If you go to China, buy an iPhone (for maps and facetime) and make sure your VPN works and routes all traffic before hand because Google doesn't work. If you go to a country with Muslim regions, don't forget that there might be weird bans there (reddit doesn't work without VPN in indonesia, wikipedia doesn't work in some of the arab countries, most African countries have Arab telcom providers and those enforce Arab law there too, ...).

Forgot your password?