Guesses on the Caterpillar Reveal?

Cherokeedog

Admiral
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
Cherokeedog
The Brochure is out, still claims the caterpillar is modular, still claims the cockpit will detach. Will be flyable in 2.6.
Thanks for pointin' this out. Was waitin' for it like hot bread.

Unfortunately, that brochure is basically dust in the eyes. No info on the type of modules, or on the weaponry.

However, there is some usefulness to it:
1. We know it's modular.
2. I'm goin' to use a quote here: "its modularity allows it to carry unusual weapons and ultralight support ships". I wonder what the hell does "unusual weapons" mean.

Well, I'm keepin' it. For now.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Thanks for pointin' this out. Was waitin' for it like hot bread.

Unfortunately, that brochure is basically dust in the eyes. No info on the type of modules, or on the weaponry.

However, there is some usefulness to it:
1. We know it's modular.
2. I'm goin' to use a quote here: "its modularity allows it to carry unusual weapons and ultralight support ships". I wonder what the hell does "unusual weapons" mean.

Well, I'm keepin' it. For now.
RESCUE SHIP. TRANSPORT. SALVAGE. GETAWAY VEHICLE.
So these are kinda obvious, and I think we can regard them as "confirmed"™
A medical module
A salvage module

These are my additional guesses:
A weapons/offense module for the aforementioned "unusual weapons".
A defense module, shields, point defense
Passenger module, for boarding crew, transport?
Fuel module, for minor refueling functionality or range extension.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
So these are kinda obvious, and I think we can regard them as "confirmed"™
A medical module
A salvage module

These are my additional guesses:
A weapons/offense module for the aforementioned "unusual weapons".
A defense module, shields, point defense
Passenger module, for boarding crew, transport?
Fuel module, for minor refueling functionality or range extension.
Haven't read the brochure yet. Too many reno's to do, lol. So we ARE getting salvage?

Reactions: AstroSam

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
There is a tractor beam control station on the asymmetric wing, so, yes
Yeah, but one of the dev's had said at some point that they were ditching the salvage module. That made me sad enough to drink an extra beer or two, and consider ditching my Cat.

Reactions: AstroSam

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
What would you need a module for? Just cut up wrecks into pieces small enough to fit in the bays

If there isn't a laser cutting tool yet, there surely will be

You could mount a big one on a Firefly

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Yeah, but one of the dev's had said at some point that they were ditching the salvage module. That made me sad enough to drink an extra beer or two, and consider ditching my Cat.
The brochure states it fills the Rescue, Transport, Salvage and getaway vehicle roles at least. Can't really fill the salvage role without a relevant module, right? :)

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
A repair module would be cool

Somthing between the hand-held thingie and a dedicated repair ship

Stevetank

Lead Aurora Theorycrafter
Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
Well, the lack of any mention of modules has me a little disappointed. Triple confirmation that the front parking sensors are actually just parking sensors has me a little worried. At least it looks pretty and the 2 bigger turrets are actually quite nice.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
"Hey guys lets do the Caterpillar brochure without mentioning any of the modules"

"That sounds like an awful idea, backers will be wanting to know what modules will be available"

"Whoops too late I already made it up"
Yeah, un-fucking-believable. 28 pages, and not a damned thing about the modules. That really chaps my ass.

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
In case you guys missed yesterday's stream or were too drunk, this is what I made of it:
2.6 goes live, beat Pirate Swarm, ta-daa! Pirate Cat skin.

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
I think the only module actually confirmed was the pet module for err lots of cages in the hold for pets..... I am sure they are enjoying the big tease very very slow release of information.

For all the information in the glossy brochure unless you just like the look of the ship it really is the modularity that will make it worth purchasing. I was very disappointed that there was no real detail there. I expect there will be search and rescue of a sort and a jail of a sort just because that wont be wasted assets for the cutlass. As there are hand tools for limited repair and that's all you get on a polaris I am not expecting an actual repair bay (do you hold ships with the tractor beam?). I hope there is a salvage bay with actual built in tools (not hand held) to enable better than hand hold salvage (not sure there is much hope of this).

Its a funny ship currently a really bad ship to solo with no npcs and therefore no guns at all. The shields are not strong either. Balance is happening though apparently the constellation has had a gun change. (well two of the gimbals can no longer be traded out for bigger size 5 fixes).
Yes it is a functionally pretty ship and I am sure more pretty ships will follow.

Still on the PTU I got killed by a grenade on the CU at the supposedly safe base. So didn't make it to the ship!

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I think the only module actually confirmed was the pet module for err lots of cages in the hold for pets..... I am sure they are enjoying the big tease very very slow release of information.

For all the information in the glossy brochure unless you just like the look of the ship it really is the modularity that will make it worth purchasing. I was very disappointed that there was no real detail there. I expect there will be search and rescue of a sort and a jail of a sort just because that wont be wasted assets for the cutlass. As there are hand tools for limited repair and that's all you get on a polaris I am not expecting an actual repair bay (do you hold ships with the tractor beam?). I hope there is a salvage bay with actual built in tools (not hand held) to enable better than hand hold salvage (not sure there is much hope of this).

Its a funny ship currently a really bad ship to solo with no npcs and therefore no guns at all. The shields are not strong either. Balance is happening though apparently the constellation has had a gun change. (well two of the gimbals can no longer be traded out for bigger size 5 fixes).
Yes it is a functionally pretty ship and I am sure more pretty ships will follow.

Still on the PTU I got killed by a grenade on the CU at the supposedly safe base. So didn't make it to the ship!
I'm drunk. Van I fly you caterpillar?

JackAvalon

Space Marshal
Nov 26, 2015
RSI Handle
Jack_Avalon
I think the Cat would make a great troop transport. This is my hope and theory (Note: Cat is equipped with all cargo modules):

1) Hopefully CIG creates a cargo item that is really a grouping of 12 jump seats. It just 6 seats with the other 6 attached to the back of the first 6. These would be locked in to the deck of the Cat via grav plating. By my estimation the Cat would be able to fit 2 of these per cargo module so each module could seat a grand total of 24 drunken idiots. Have 2 of the 4 cargo modules have this. That way you can seat 48 drunken idiots.

2) The next 2 cargo modules should fit 1 Ursa rover and 4 Dragonfly's each (Make take some parking finesse). The front module should fit 3 Dragonfly's. Each rover should be able to carry 2 people who are operating it and 3-4 guys standing in the back of it. THis means you could potentially have 36 drunken idiots who are mobile in vehicles which gives you a squad of 12 on foot.

3) With this setup you have a many tactical options when assaulting a base/location and a good number of bodies to throw into the grinder.

4) Win because Cat is best troop transport.

Forgot your password?