Guys, if you don't hear from me, it's because I've melted.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Bit of a progress update:

Having 1.5l bottle filled with frozen water reduced relative humidity from 49% to 44%, so that seems pretty significant. Had to put it in a bucket, it's condensing a lot of water.
In another room, a 1.5L bottle of ice reduced relative humidity from 57% to 49%. Though I'm not entirely sure whether the humidity went somewhere else as well... well, the temperature of the room has changed like 2-3 degrees between the measurements so that could also have some effect on it. But in any case, I got... 120ml of water from 3 bottles of ice (Over like 6-7h while the water became room temp). Seems like a lot to me.

Drinking something hot sort of worked. I've already been drinking lot of water but dropping sugary things seems to have helped.

AngelsLight

Commander
Jun 22, 2021
RSI Handle
AngelsLight
Whelp, dropping sugar / salt / spicy food helps a lot, however diet becomes a bit bland. So remove spices at your own desecration.

Eat salads instead of baked potatoes and try to do cooking (if you cook at home) during the night time to vent all of the hot air asap.

There are exhaust free mobile AC that should cost under 150-200 that can also be used as dehumidifiers. I am not sure how they work exactly but for a cheap heat relief should be useful.

Gl dealing with heat.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Umm, I do get why you wouldn't want a cooling-only AC for you apartment, but shouldn't a proper one with inverter, the one that can also do heating, be a good investment? Unless you are just renting the place ofc...

For me, using the heat-pump (AC) instead of switching on the whole gas-water heating system again, was a pretty convenient, cheap, and efficient way to get some heat when the cold came back for bit about a.month ago. It's also a.good addition to just circulate the air so your feet don't freeze while your head sweats during the winter.
I'm not a huge fan of AC either, I rather have it turned off, but it does come in handy in many cases.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Umm, I do get why you wouldn't want a cooling-only AC for you apartment, but shouldn't a proper one with inverter, the one that can also do heating, be a good investment? Unless you are just renting the place ofc...

For me, using the heat-pump (AC) instead of switching on the whole gas-water heating system again, was a pretty convenient, cheap, and efficient way to get some heat when the cold came back for bit about a.month ago. It's also a.good addition to just circulate the air so your feet don't freeze while your head sweats during the winter.
I'm not a huge fan of AC either, I rather have it turned off, but it does come in handy in many cases.
Yeah, I'm moving out next year or so. Heating elements are so much cheaper than cooling elements, at least around here. I can get like 10-20€ space heater and that's more than enough to get a room or two toasty when need be, but proper ACs cost hundreds. Even the cheapest 'air cooler' (not conditioner) that basically cools the room by filling it with cooled down water vapor (uhm... no thanks) costs a hundred euros more than a space heater.

Now the price isn't really much of an issue, apart from cost-to-usefulness ratio, but another is the space it requires. Those space heaters are tiny and easily portable. You can stow them basically anywhere when you don't need them. Meanwhile portable ACs I've seen are relatively huge, and if I only need it 2-4% of the year, well, it's going to sit in storage a lot. And proper ACs, well, I'm moving out of here, and since the next place I'll go is likely closer to the ground I might not even need an AC there.

Forgot your password?