CosmicTrader
Last edited:

Daak Seed

Space Marshal
Dec 9, 2015
RSI Handle
daak-seed
Yes, yes!... we need to hurry up!
(brokenly clicking around the desktop...)

What's the hell!... Where is Control Panel? Where is Program and Features?... OMG! I don't have even Start button!

(sweeps the sweat... breathing starts to calm...)

What the heck! I have Linux! :p

Reactions: Nutjob and Snakey

Xian-Luc Picard

Space Marshal
Jan 9, 2016
RSI Handle
Xian-Luc_Picard
Try working IT in a school district. We have all sorts of antiquated software that requires things that should have gone away 10 years ago. Some of my favorites right now: when they get a new computer and say, "why doesn't this have a CD-Rom drive?" or "this website only works with Internet Explorer" or "this computer doesn't have a printer port" (the old parallel port) or "my software that I always use won't install on this" (the software was probably from the 90s and is probably why they needed the CD-Rom).

Teachers seem to always be 10 years behind no matter what technology the IT department provides. It is mind boggling. Also, yes, we have an application that *requires* quicktime. It is being replaced this summer.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
Reactions: Blind Owl

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
Try working IT in a school district. We have all sorts of antiquated software that requires things that should have gone away 10 years ago. Some of my favorites right now: when they get a new computer and say, "why doesn't this have a CD-Rom drive?" or "this website only works with Internet Explorer" or "this computer doesn't have a printer port" (the old parallel port) or "my software that I always use won't install on this" (the software was probably from the 90s and is probably why they needed the CD-Rom).

Teachers seem to always be 10 years behind no matter what technology the IT department provides. It is mind boggling. Also, yes, we have an application that *requires* quicktime. It is being replaced this summer.
School IT and small town banks are easily the worst to try and keep updated and secure. Between user ignorance and legacy software it's a never ending nightmare of security gaps. Hell, at my work I had to spend hours convincing people that having a windows 2000 box with no firewall as our voicemail storage server was a ticking time bomb of "at best they'll just destroy all data on the entire network and brick the machines".

Reactions: Xian-Luc Picard

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
School IT and small town banks are easily the worst to try and keep updated and secure. Between user ignorance and legacy software it's a never ending nightmare of security gaps. Hell, at my work I had to spend hours convincing people that having a windows 2000 box with no firewall as our voicemail storage server was a ticking time bomb of "at best they'll just destroy all data on the entire network and brick the machines".
My friend works IT in a smallish town and he says that there's too many computers for the handful of IT guys to update everytime there's something to do, but giving all teachers admin access causes there to be rampant viruses. And they can't give admin to just a few teachers or the others bitch. It's hilarious listening to him talk about it.

Reactions: EpilepticCricket

Nightrider

Media Propaganda Czar
Jul 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Nightrider
with all the uninstall Quicktime news as of late I'm not recommending uninsalling.
To many graphics programs rely on Quicktime... Adobe photoshop, After Effects, Avid Pro Tools, vegas, most audio software.
Just disable the Quicktime plugin in an web browser that you use.

IF YOU NEED QUICKTIME FOR ADOBE OR OTHER MEDIA SOFTWARE DO THE FOLLOWING:
1) Uninstall Quicktime.
2) Download latest QuickTime from Apple.
3) Reinstall by going through Custom Install and select just QUICKTIME ESSENTIALS,
making sure to deselect Quicktime Player (Optional Features should be okay to install if needed).
4) Finish installation like normal.

QuickTime Player is really the main problem and doing this will allow you to use the rest of the features that Adobe and other media software needs. http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/thankyou/index.html

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
I started to get nervous for a moment... then I realized that I don't have any QT on my computer.

Reactions: KiwiB1rd

Takran

Admiral
Feb 8, 2016
RSI Handle
TakranG
with all the uninstall Quicktime news as of late I'm not recommending uninsalling.
To many graphics programs rely on Quicktime... Adobe photoshop, After Effects, Avid Pro Tools, vegas, most audio software.
Just disable the Quicktime plugin in an web browser that you use.
I'm not sure where you get your information or what versions of these programs you're using, but I can say for a fact that Photoshop, Vegas, and "most audio software" do not in any way require Quicktime, having used them all myself, and not having had Quicktime for years. I have my doubts about After Effects as well, though I've never used it so I can't say definitively. The only case that you'd "need" Quicktime for any media program that I can think of is if you're using a codec that gets installed with Quicktime, but that's a terrible reason as there are many sources for good codecs.

Pro Tools is stupid, and Avid is stupid.

edit: I have a hard time believing it, but it's possible *newer* versions of these programs that I've not used recently require it? That would be regression, though, which seems unlikely.

Last edited:

Slansickness

Space Marshal
Mar 14, 2015
RSI Handle
Slantsickness
I have my doubts about After Effects as well, though I've never used it so I can't say definitively.
I can guarantee After Effects uses Quicktime for some features, mainly tied in with Apple ProRes. Adobe issued a statement saying they are working on a fix but they have no estimated completion

Edit: For Casual users not having Quicktime is no biggie, just make sure to work with a different codec. This will have a big disruptive impact on professionals and companies that have included a supported codec in their work flow.

Last edited:
Forgot your password?