Hand Carry Cargo Ships

EVPilot

Space Marshal
Apr 1, 2018
RSI Handle
EVPilot
So I just signed up for a mission to make a pickup and delivery. Unfortunately I was in a hornet and I could not bring it with me. So what ships can I bring cargo in? I’m looking for the fastest.

Sraika

Space Marshal
Nov 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Sraika
I would say the avenger. The reliant is fairly speedy, too, but I find the avenger a tiny bit easier to fly. If you don't mind a bit of awkwardness, take a 315/350 and land it upside-down.
I don't know if you can get cargo into the herald (I don't actually have one, so it never seemed important to find out), but if you can it's one of the fastest ships in the game.
It really doesn't matter too much, since most of the ships don't have a big enough difference in speed to seriously affect anything, so it's mostly down to personal preference. I tend to use a cutlass/aquila for everything right now.

Reactions: Talonsbane

EVPilot

Space Marshal
Apr 1, 2018
RSI Handle
EVPilot
I just did a run in an avenger. It bounced up on landing and I couldn’t get back in with the cargo in hand. Then the game crashed. When I reloaded I was in Olisar with package in hand. I went to retrieve the ship and saw that it was still on yela. I then grabbed a Connie and when I sat in the captains seat the cargo just sat in my lap. I’m going to try and see if this now works in small single seat ships tomorrow.

Edit: oh and this is on the latest PTU release

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
Reclaimer.. use the claw....

lol jk..
any ship that has a cargo capacity stat on the ship page. Some don't have true cargo enabled yet as it requires an accessory for the ship IIRC like mustang and aurora but you can still (supposedly) place a crate down inside behind your seat in those two ships.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
TL;DR --> this is alpha and crap is broken, so don't be afraid to experiment, & ymmv!

So, for pickups and delivery, you need to be able to get into your ship with the package, and a space to place it on the floor.

This pretty much rules out ships with ladders, like the 300 series (although, I have been meaning to land the ship upside down so I can get into it with a package ... the auto-deploying landing gear makes it impossible to land on the ground flat).

This also rules out ships that don't have any space, like single seat fighters (such as the Hornet, Sabre, etc.).

I was able to pick up and deliver packages in my Aurora, Freelancer, Cutlass, and (surprisingly) Retaliator. I can't do the space retrieval missions, such as recover the black box or recover the space cargo in my Retaliator, since I can't seem to get back into my ship with the cargo in hand (although I have meant to try to get back into my ship through the torpedo bays...).

Surprisingly, I was able to do the space retrieval missions in my 315...I was able to get back into the ship with the cargo in hand, but, get this, I couldn't do down the ladder with the cargo in hand! So, I just opened the door without deploying the ladder, and jumped out.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Last edited:

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Aurora works pretty well for these, Avenger should be a good one although I haven't flown it since RECs broken. Done a pickup and delivery yesterday on live server using a Cutlass. Done it with the wife, she handled the package pickup and drop off and navigation, I was piloting. It took 1.5 hours, but the game didn't crash! Kinda amazing after all the previous iterations kept crashing every 10 minutes or so.

You can actually get boxes into the 300 series without having to land upside down, although it's not easy and requires some luck. The goal is to place the box on the wing so you can reach it by walking out onto it.
Stand behind the ship, to one side of the engine, behind the wing. The wing is too high up usually, so you probably won't be able to place it there. Instead of trying to place it on the wing, place the box on one of the engine's side panels that's right above the wing. On the 300i it's the one that is upside-down. Although your character can't actually reach that spot, as long as the box's blueish image is there, it will be placed there. (If you landed on an incline you might even have the chance to place the box right on the wing.)
So, the box will be placed on the upside-down panel, and it will fall onto the wing and stay there, for a while at least. Hurry up and get into the ship, open the bloody door that always closes automatically (just Open Door, don't click Exit ship) and walk outside onto the wing. Pick up the box and walk inside, put it down and you're done!
To get the box out, you can simply walk out the door with it (again, just Open the door, don't click Exit).
Worked for me so far, but the box can bug-out and refuse to stay in place, or just decide to drop through the planet at any point lol
I tried throwing it into the ship with the door open, but it always ended up in some weird spot behind me, so I wouldn't bother with that just yet.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Aurora works pretty well for these, Avenger should be a good one although I haven't flown it since RECs broken. Done a pickup and delivery yesterday on live server using a Cutlass. Done it with the wife, she handled the package pickup and drop off and navigation, I was piloting. It took 1.5 hours, but the game didn't crash! Kinda amazing after all the previous iterations kept crashing every 10 minutes or so.

You can actually get boxes into the 300 series without having to land upside down, although it's not easy and requires some luck. The goal is to place the box on the wing so you can reach it by walking out onto it.
Stand behind the ship, to one side of the engine, behind the wing. The wing is too high up usually, so you probably won't be able to place it there. Instead of trying to place it on the wing, place the box on one of the engine's side panels that's right above the wing. On the 300i it's the one that is upside-down. Although your character can't actually reach that spot, as long as the box's blueish image is there, it will be placed there. (If you landed on an incline you might even have the chance to place the box right on the wing.)
So, the box will be placed on the upside-down panel, and it will fall onto the wing and stay there, for a while at least. Hurry up and get into the ship, open the bloody door that always closes automatically (just Open Door, don't click Exit ship) and walk outside onto the wing. Pick up the box and walk inside, put it down and you're done!
To get the box out, you can simply walk out the door with it (again, just Open the door, don't click Exit).
Worked for me so far, but the box can bug-out and refuse to stay in place, or just decide to drop through the planet at any point lol
I tried throwing it into the ship with the door open, but it always ended up in some weird spot behind me, so I wouldn't bother with that just yet.

Sounds like a lot of work when we should all have a trusty Aurora. :)

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
OK, I have an update, with a big LOL...by landing the 300 series upside down, you can get a hand carried delivery/cargo container into your ship.

The LOL part is, there is a bug (or is it a feature?) where, if the ship is a) upside down, b) you choose "Enter Ship" (with the ship upside down & the cargo in your hand), as you climb up the ladder, the cargo will get "drop kicked" so to speak, go flying through space, and you get rewarded the 340 aUEC anyway after about a minute or two! It has happened twice now, on two different days. Here are the pix:

Another beautiful landing! lol...
ScreenShot0043.jpg

Below...the challenge awaits...I just selected "Enter Ship" and climbed up the upside down ladder...
ScreenShot0044.jpg

Which then drop kicked the cargo into space...after about a minute or two...
ScreenShot0052.jpg

Ta-da! Success! Another 340aUEC, lol...
ScreenShot0053.jpg

Forgot your password?