Happy Hour interview: Items 2.0

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Edit: ooops, writing this took so long that @CosmicTrader posted up a thread about it half an hour before this one. Be sure to check his, with a link to the stream on youtube in case you missed it! if a mod comes by, would you kindly pop my post in there and delete this thread? thanks!

Soooo, have you watched it? Anything interesting that grabbed your attention?

Not trying to be negative here, but for me it was mostly disappointing.
Maybe because I was expecting an RSI Museum with Ben, as someone who grew up on those old games I quiet enjoy those.
Although it was an okay stream I guess, for those who follow the RSI youtube channel, nothing new was said. They talked about the same item system 2.0 features they did for over a year now.
Not in any particular order:
- rooms will have dynamic atmosphere and power
- ships and everyhting will have dynamic power, atmoshpere, plug-n-play items, yada yada
- One item of note is that a few weeks(months?) ago they were talking about how alien stuff, like shield generators won't fit your Hornet by deffault. Now they've gone back on this, and any alien item might fit your ship, at least in the beginning. So judging by this interview, they don't have the resources to work this out properly before 3.0, so we will get to "test" how an Aurora handles with the power plant from a Vandul Scythe. The whole concept of alien mods being unique/high-end seems to be on the edge of getting cut entirely in favor of faster development and "moar accessability"
- ummm, something about your character having blood oxygen measured and having an effect on your stamina, so you might end up passing out if someone hacks your ships CO scrubbers... kinda fun idea, but with detailed gameplay elements dropping out of implementation, this might end up on the cutting floor as well, at least until Alpha 17.5 or whatever...
Can't recall anything else worthy mentioned. Did I miss something?

So all in all, I'm kinda dissapointed in the whole progression. I know it's important to have the basic 2.0 system up and running, but more and more of the "depth" is getting pushed back. Meanwhile, new "depth" ideas come up, like the blood oxygen thingy, which take up loads of dev time, and will probably end up cut the same way "alien tech upgrades as a gameplay element/goal" got cut. How much longer would it take to design a single item for 3.0, which you could earn as a final quest reward, or find on a crashed ship on one of the moons, that would enable you to attach alien stuff to your ship.... Its a single Boolean value added to every alien item for gods sake...

Ya know, there is one good thing about SC taking so long to develop. By the time it's done, everyone who cares about SC, will become of legal drinking age. So in the end, the longer it takes, the better it is for Test Squardon! Moar Beer drinkers -> moar Testies -> moar Crashing Auroras -> moar WIN!

And now, to the Beer Station!

Last edited:

Stevetank

Lead Aurora Theorycrafter
Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
It's dissapointing to see that the quantity is not there but seeing a strong base line for the quality it will produce later is good. Sure the depth isn't there but this is still alpha and this is Items 2.0. We have many more iterations to go through before we'll get that depth but we'll still get there.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
It's dissapointing to see that the quantity is not there but seeing a strong base line for the quality it will produce later is good. Sure the depth isn't there but this is still alpha and this is Items 2.0. We have many more iterations to go through before we'll get that depth but we'll still get there.
Concur. Strongly

Forgot your password?