Has anyone else read these CIG glassdoor reviews?

GrumpyCat

Space Marshal
Dec 17, 2014
RSI Handle
SofiyaPavlovena
Just a quick note...as many have pointed out, there is a difference between "hiring discrimination" and then sexism/discrimination at the workplace. In fact, one could have a perfectly fine hiring experience, and then land in a cruddy work section where the boss and/or co-workers are complete ass-hats.

Having said that, I'm not sure that reading GlassDoor reviews are going to help us figure out and solve all of CIGs problems.

I will note that they have a studio in California, and California has some of the strongest laws/protections for hiring and workplace discrimination. Any problems have various remedies, which technically have to be exhausted before one would have to sue; for a lot of reasons that is a pretty arduous process that most people don't want to go through. Having seen a lot of stuff in my position, it is far easier to prove retaliation; if you ever read any of that stuff you will wish that you hadn't.
Actually they are closing that studio I think? Moving everyone to the UK. Disco Lando is moving cause of it

**EDIT**

Lol sorry... ill shush

Last edited:
  • o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Sorry, was this a typo? Do you mean that people didn't vote for Hillary, or do you mean that they literally CANT be president?
I mean this is a straw man argument. People have not been telling women they can't be President because they are women for half century. You yourself noted that someone had to tell you women once could not get credit cards. Assuming this is true (and I don't recall that at all), this was half century ago and someone needed to tell you. It is not in your experince so it is obviously no longer a problem!

We are agreed sexual harassment is still a problem. There are lots of problems yet to be addressed. Please stop pretending the ones my generation solved will instead be solved by yours. We solved the chemical polution issues with the Clean Water Act, and the toxic Superfund. Your generation usually doesn't even know what the Superfund is or what advances in chemical technology caused the problem in the first place. We created Sierra Club, and Greenpeace, and PIRG. We led the away around the world in environmentalist legal policy. We solved the problem with the hole in the ozone layer. We set astonishing limits to the amount of land that can be developed and set vast tracts of wilderness aside to be enjoyed in perpetuity. We stopped the hunting of whales. We landed men on the Moon, and created green nuclear reactors, and the aqualung, and the computer, and the cell phone, and delivered jet travel and solved a thousand other challenges. Now it is your turn to do the same and instead, you're all fucking whining about problems we solved half century ago. Do you have any idea how disappointing this is? Women can do whatever they can do, and if some scumbag gets in your way, sue their ass. We protected your interests when we passed that law half century ago.

Last edited:
  • o7

GrumpyCat

Space Marshal
Dec 17, 2014
RSI Handle
SofiyaPavlovena
I mean this is a straw man argument. People have not been telling women they can't be President because they are women for half century. You yourself noted that someone had to tell you women once could not get credit cards. Assuming this is true (and I don't recall that at all), this was half century ago and someone needed to tell you. It is not in your experince so it is obviously no longer a problem!

We are agreed sexual harassment is still a problem. There are lots of problems yet to be addressed. Please stop pretending the ones my generation solved will instead be solved by yours. We solved the chemical polution issues with the Clean Water Act, and the toxic Superfund. Your generation usually doesn't even know what the Superfund is or what advances in chemical technology caused the problem in the first place. We created Sierra Club, and Greenpeace, and PIRG. We led the away around the world in environmentalist legal policy. We solved the problem with the hole in the ozone layer. We set astonishing limits to the amount of land that can be developed and set vast tracts of wilderness aside to be enjoyed in perpetuity. We stopped the hunting of whales. We landed men on the Moon, and created green nuclear reactors, and delivered air travel and solved a thousand other challenges. Now it is your turn to do the same and instead, you're all fucking whining about problems we solved half century ago. Do you have any idea how disappointing this is? Women can do whatever they can do, and if some scumbag gets in your way, sue their ass. We protected your interests when we passed that law half century ago.
Ah, I see.

• o7

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Actually they are closing that studio I think? Moving everyone to the UK. Disco Lando is moving cause of it
Nah, they just told Disco they are closing it down to troll him ... joke...

I have no idea what they are doing, I haven't heard that they are closing down LA...I have heard they are expanding the UK studio like crazy, which is smart --> wages in LA are insane, and are much cheaper in the UK. I would suspect that they will always keep an LA studio open, since CR seems to like the fusion of movies and video game.

GrumpyCat

Space Marshal
Dec 17, 2014
RSI Handle
SofiyaPavlovena
Nah, they just told Disco they are closing it down to troll him ... joke...

I have no idea what they are doing, I haven't heard that they are closing down LA...I have heard they are expanding the UK studio like crazy, which is smart --> wages in LA are insane, and are much cheaper in the UK. I would suspect that they will always keep an LA studio open, since CR seems to like the fusion of movies and video game.

Though wtf lol.. who continues towards a huge mega building during covid? Anyone expect this to go away any time soon?

Every tech person I've ever talked to said theyd quit their jobs without remote work.

• o7

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Though wtf lol.. who continues towards a huge mega building during covid? Anyone expect this to go away any time soon?
I'm betting tax breaks. I'm betting the UK govt. is essetially make this all cost-neutral to them, so why not? We can check their financial statements at some point.

BTW, this is what I think of when I hear "Star Citizen" and "GlassDoor" reviews:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsB4uvWrokc

GrumpyCat

Space Marshal
Dec 17, 2014
RSI Handle
SofiyaPavlovena
I'm betting tax breaks. I'm betting the UK govt. is essetially make this all cost-neutral to them, so why not? We can check their financial statements at some point.

BTW, this is what I think of when I hear "Star Citizen" and "GlassDoor" reviews:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsB4uvWrokc
Oh thats wild. I didn't know they were faking glassdoor reviews.

Shit, these people are quite literally obsessed?

Updated my main post with this video, thanks for pointing it out

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Oh thats wild. I didn't know they were faking glassdoor reviews.

Shit, these people are quite literally obsessed?

Updated my main post with this video, thanks for pointing it out
The haters are absolutely vicious!

Not saying that there are some real reviews, and not saying there aren't valid points (which we really wouldn't be in a position to ascertain or judge), but just be aware that GlassDoor has been weaponized in the past.

• o7

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Ah, I see you found my old video on this topic. 😄

Not all the reviews are fake, there is plenty to be critical about with Star Citizen.

But also, go find me a company where the reviews are all "This company is amazing, nothing is wrong, everybody is the best!"

No such company exists.

Everybody has a manager they hate. Everybody has a coworker not pulling their weight. Everybody feels management is slow to respond or bad at responding to issues. There is nothing in the cons section of CIG that does not exist in every single other company out there.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
I don't personally think you can learn from such generalizations without looking afterward for specific examples. There is no reason to trust any of the complaints as made. Everyone complains. If the worker bees are not complaining, odds are management is not riding them properly.

I am surprised at the complaint that some workers are not pulling their weight. That certainly needs to be investigated. That could be a single person doesn't like another single person, or it could be a real problem. I would want to know how CIG rewards highly productive workers and whether that can be improved. They should have a couple dozen people each night stay late to work personal projects. If someone had spent 2 hours each night for several months working on the X1, that person should get a nice bonus and the players should get the X1 a year earlier. That's what bonuses are for. They inspire enhanced productivity.

I'm not surprised at complaints about inter-departmental communications being bad. Fixes to this require more time spent off task, so knowing the proper balance is a constant challenge. The proper balance is going to leave a small amount of communications lacking, so even in a perfect situation you could get this complaint.

I take complaints about micro-management with a grain of salt. Consider for a moment the legacy of Kelly Johnson's Skunkworks.

Kelly Johnson realized that Lockheed Martin had grown so large there was no way to do nimble, creative work, so he took from the very best at the larger company and built a design team, and removed ALL of the middle management. He sat all his engineers down at a single table and with slide rules they designed the U2 spy plane, the F117 stealth fighter-bomber, the SR-71 Blackbird spy plane, etc. All of the planes designed under Kelly came in on time and under budget. They even designed a super-sonic bomber based upon the SR-71 in competition with the XB-70 Valkyrie, but neither went into production since ICBMs made such bombers obsolete.

Kelly did this by removing all middle management. He sat at the table with his crew and told them what to do 10 hours each day. There were no communications meetings. There were no project reports passed up the chain of command to make middle managers seem important. Everyone worked on task all the time. It's not surprising when you do the opposite and pander to the needs of supporters, you get the opposite result. I doubt there's much room for improvement from what I'm reading above.

Lack of diversity is only an issue if someone identifies sexist hiring practices. I would not be surprised to learn 97/100 workers graduating with the proper degrees are men. Whatever the figure is, once suspects the hiring ought to be similar.

When you see complaints like "the work can be highly repetitive" you know you're polling children who have no base to compare against. That is the way work is. That's why it is called "work".
you took the words right out of my mind about middle management. This game is Chris's ultimate life project he has a vision and he wants to see that vision come true. he didnt get to do that with freelancer so this time he has gotten rid of publishers, middlemen, etc. another great example is Howard Hughes.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
I'm just going to leave this here:

My previous workplace, where dozens of women came forward to describe their daily sexual harassment and discrimination in the workplace. It was such a big deal there were constant investigations right before COVID lol, which happened to, luckily for the shipyard, sweep it all under the carpet.

I am dealing with it, we all are, by bringing it to light to show those misinformed and blind to the issues that they exist. I find it interesting that you would call bullshit, when I tell you that I have first hand seen these issues. Am I lying to you to? Why?
you should have worked for SRF lol

• o7

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Ah, I see you found my old video on this topic. 😄

Not all the reviews are fake, there is plenty to be critical about with Star Citizen.

But also, go find me a company where the reviews are all "This company is amazing, nothing is wrong, everybody is the best!"

No such company exists.

Everybody has a manager they hate. Everybody has a coworker not pulling their weight. Everybody feels management is slow to respond or bad at responding to issues. There is nothing in the cons section of CIG that does not exist in every single other company out there.
A while back (about 20+ years ago), there was a couple companies that had an outlook from the public about them like that, but we all have seen how that turned out with Enron & MCI Worldcom.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
you took the words right out of my mind about middle management. This game is Chris's ultimate life project he has a vision and he wants to see that vision come true. he didnt get to do that with freelancer so this time he has gotten rid of publishers, middlemen, etc. another great example is Howard Hughes.
And Elon Musk. He has managers and anyone managing thousands of people needs them, but Musk sticks his nose in everything and why should he not?

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
And Elon Musk. He has managers and anyone managing thousands of people needs them, but Musk sticks his nose in everything and why should he not?
Exactly i feel more heads of companies need to do this instead of lounging around collecting a paycheck. Bezos maybe take some tips before amazon is destroyed?

• o7

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
re: California and workplace discrimination laws

Riot negotiated a $10 million settlement with the claimants in 2018, but the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing blocked the agreement. The DFEH said instead that women employees may be entitled to over $400 million in damages covering wage differential alone.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
You mean the government getting involved and intervening so that they didn't get screwed with a $10million lawsuit? I agree... government should be involved more.
There are some distinct and rival political theories about getting government involved in these matters, that's for sure!

• o7
Forgot your password?