Has there been any mention of gimbal weapons that auto-track their target?

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I do recall that both NPCs and AI would be available to turrets so they will be capable when not manned, but that PC manned turrets would be designed to always be more effective.

My guess is if all you want is to make the turret functional, the NPC option will be more expensive over time and the AI option will be more expensive up front. Either way, PCs will probably cost more and be more effective, with the exception that PCs will sign on to ships like the Javeline and Bengal for free inside an org, just because they want that kind of group experience.

I think what player shwo buy very expensive ships but don;'t network and make friends wilol find is that it costs much more to man a Javeline than it does to purchase it, and as a consequence many of them will just sit.

DarthMunkee

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMunkee
I do recall that both NPCs and AI would be available to turrets so they will be capable when not manned, but that PC manned turrets would be designed to always be more effective.

My guess is if all you want is to make the turret functional, the NPC option will be more expensive over time and the AI option will be more expensive up front. Either way, PCs will probably cost more and be more effective, with the exception that PCs will sign on to ships like the Javeline and Bengal for free inside an org, just because they want that kind of group experience.

I think what player shwo buy very expensive ships but don;'t network and make friends wilol find is that it costs much more to man a Javeline than it does to purchase it, and as a consequence many of them will just sit.
I think he's talking about gimbaled weapons, not turrets, like on a fighter.

It would make sense to have an option for this, you install a targeting blade and you know have a point to gimbaled weapons when flying with a HOTAS. But I haven't heard or seen anything about it in a while.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
I remember it being discussed for turrets, better blades would out perform inexperienced NPCs (and some players), but that NPCs (and hopefully players) would improve over time but blades would only be improved by replacing them with better blades. I don't remember gimbled weapons being mentioned but I would think it could be possible.

Reactions: Blind Owl and Scape

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Yes for turrets, no for Pilot weapons.

Hybus

Space Marshal
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Hybus
Those are designed as point defense weapons. I believe he's asking if there is an option where the gimbals will shift to auto track if within a certain radius. I think a couple versions of Wing Commander had that, at least as I remember. Course it could have been any number of the other space sims during the old days.

-edit-
In all honesty, if that was an option, I would find gimbals useful as a dual stick pilot.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I am surprised they have not done this yet, but the current ESP system of guiding your entire ship is a really bad implantation of this very idea.

Instead of the entire ship being nudged to maintain target, only gimbal weapons should track the target. I would not be surprised to see them go this route eventually.

Its proven effective in Elite Dangerous, it will work here too.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
I suppose they could do it as turreted takes 2 sizes off the weapon like gimbal takes one size off?

Turreted laser beams in SC. OH YES!

Hybus

Space Marshal
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Hybus
I think it should be the way to go to be honest. It doesnt even have to be a huge track maybe just 5-10 degrees. Even technically there is a functional example. Even fixed weapons move slightly so they meet at the point of impact.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I think it should be the way to go to be honest. It doesnt even have to be a huge track maybe just 5-10 degrees. Even technically there is a functional example. Even fixed weapons move slightly so they meet at the point of impact.
Thats how it works in Elite Dangerous with the smaller fighters, the gimbal weapon lock is only 15-20 degrees from center. You still have to fly the ship and keep your target within that cone of acquisition or lose the lock.

Forgot your password?