Have you cleaned your PC today?

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I have opened up the side panel and given it a little blow once in a while, it never looked bad at all.

This summer the fans sounded like they are working harder then usual, it has been a very hot and humid season here in NC, so I did not give it much thought.

Today was doing some major reorganizing of my office. I threw out this massive corner unit that was taking up to much space. I need to room to set up a green screen and another desk because Im a fancy youtuber.

I had to disconnect my PC to get this done, a task I absolutely detest due to all the wiring plus the Oculus Rift DK2 which is a nightmare to move around.

Once the PC case was free, I opened up every single panel I could find.

This is what I found on the H100 CPU cooler!

I took a vacuum cleaner to that thing!

If you have not checked your case in a while, open that thing up and get in there!!!

smeggy

Space Marshal
Aug 28, 2015
RSI Handle
sm3ggy
This is definitely PSA worthy. Glad I did mine a month ago.

Remember, a clean computer is a happy computer.

I usually do mine at least twice a year. Each time I setup one of my folding tables (have to steal it from the kids or the wife) and set it up in the garage. Then put the shop-vac into blow mode behind me, to keep pushing air outside. Then go to town with a couple canned airs and q-tips (to clean fan blades and keep them from moving).
I've always been told, and still am, to be careful with vacuum cleaners around computers due to static. One friend's dad lost his Mac Pro tower to static while cleaning.

BTW @Montoya, is that an NZXT case? Front looks like one of the Phantom series.

Hybus

Space Marshal
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Hybus
A handy tip if you happen to be a Scuba diver or know one,

Get a tank and an air gun attachment for your regulator, hooks right onto your BCD whip.

Use that to blow out your case, 80 cubic feet of purified air that is intended to be inhaled is probably cheaper than a case of air cans. I usually do it in the spring and fall.

Zookajoe

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 6, 2016
RSI Handle
Zookajoe
I usually set off a small shaped charge, it normally blows all the dust and shrapnel out of the system and across the room. Then I buy a new system.

You guys getting all fancy with your vacuums, air cans, and scuba gear...

Remember, there are few problems in life that cannot be resolved with the appropriate use of high explosives.

Or, high explosives used in a random and reckless manner can work in a pinch.

Ammorn

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
Ammorn
I'm just getting my strength back from being sick and need to clean my computer. When I feel up to it I'll haul the heavy beast outside and hit it with a couple cans of huff duster. It really needs it, and I noticed the 200mm fan on the side case panel has stopped working. I've got a spare 200mm though. I've thought of getting a mini-fridge and rebuilding it into a sealed enclosure with desiccants to keep the computer cool and dust free.

Hybus

Space Marshal
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Hybus
Doesn’t blowing air around run the risk of lodging dust in components? A quick wizz around with the Dyson seems to do the trick
Don't recommend it honestly, as vacuums can generate decent amounts of static electricity. One good discharge could result in issues. Naturally your model, air humidity, environment, blah blah blah all play a factor.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
@Montoya, I vote for this thread to be pinned!

I usually set off a small shaped charge, it normally blows all the dust and shrapnel out of the system and across the room. Then I buy a new system.

You guys getting all fancy with your vacuums, air cans, and scuba gear...

Remember, there are few problems in life that cannot be resolved with the appropriate use of high explosives.

Or, high explosives used in a random and reckless manner can work in a pinch.
Always remember:

P = Plenty

Forgot your password?