Heads up! What do you think of the new display?

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker
tavern_upload_large.png

I like that the mission writing seems smaller and more out of the way.

O2 tank is okay, but what kind of pressure is being measured?

Also, SpO2 (assuming it is a generic stamina reading) does not seem to make much sense. Below 90% would indicate you need to see a doctor. If it gets in the 70's, you very likely would pass out and die. I miss the breath fog from the early Star Marine demo. Had moar 'mmersive.

Compass degrees, but maybe need some indicator for other axis of movement (up/down, someone fix my science lingo plz), in zero gravity.

Map is not very pretty but looks like a place holder to me.

Gun haz wi-fi that tells your helmet how many rounds remain? How many songs can gun download?

Stevetank

Lead Aurora Theorycrafter
Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
Wow... I got a like for 5 words? Let me try and earn that like, lol.

I like how the elements of the HUD are spread out across the edge of the screen and they aren't floating in towards the middle.

Just look at this game:

Great game, but terrible HUD. I don't need those hearts or rupies invading my screen. Push them out to the edge. I don't need a constant reminder of what the controls are. Just remove them.

Look at the one that came before it:

Look at that! So much better. Everything is to the sides and out of the way. It's small but the icons it uses are good enough so that I can tell what it is. The mini map is a little annoying, but it's both usable and mostly out of the way, just like our new HUD is going to be in SC.

How about an FPS?:

Bam! Everything is pushed to the sides, the bigger stiff is on the bottom where you don't get to see things as much because of your guns. There's a LOT of information being displayed and yet it's out of the way so that you can stay focused on the more important things. Good HUD right there, though the person in this isn't using a helmet like we will.

I think CIG is far in the right direction with our HUD. Things are out of the way, the bigger things are on the bottom, the information is simple and compact. O2 is your oxygen tank, pressure is the room pressure (0 for space and 100 for a pressurized room and 420 for a harsh environment), and our Sp02 for sprinting I think. The compass at the top is nice too. None of this N, S, E, W stuff but a 0-360* useful information.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
I like the new hud I don't enjoy getting stuff stuck in my face the whole time while trying to play the game. Now if only they could fix the positioning of the Andromeda target and ship status to where you can actually see they while you are fighting that would be wonderful nothing is more annoying then turning left and not being able to see how much dmg the enemy is taking.

Joehockey

Grand Admiral
Donor
Apr 8, 2017
RSI Handle
Joehockey
View attachment 6041

I like that the mission writing seems smaller and more out of the way.

O2 tank is okay, but what kind of pressure is being measured?

Also, SpO2 (assuming it is a generic stamina reading) does not seem to make much sense. Below 90% would indicate you need to see a doctor. If it gets in the 70's, you very likely would pass out and die. I miss the breath fog from the early Star Marine demo. Had moar 'mmersive.

Compass degrees, but maybe need some indicator for other axis of movement (up/down, someone fix my science lingo plz), in zero gravity.

Map is not very pretty but looks like a place holder to me.

Gun haz wi-fi that tells your helmet how many rounds remain? How many songs can gun download?
1. The mission writing out of the way is much better.
2. I'm guessing the O2 pressure is the pressure in the suit. (Drops in the event of a suit puncture)
3. I don't think it's 90% blood O2 as much as 90% of the O2 tank is remaining.
4. By the year 2900+ I would expect the perfect anti-fog spray for your helmet to be available.
5. Maybe the Compass Degress will read or display differently if your environment changes. (i.e. Anywhere with gravity you have 001*- 360* and anywhere without gravity has another/different display/reading.
6. I love the way the map works. Hopefully it will have a little more of a easy to understand/read display in the future but I love the 3D style.
7. Love the idea of BluTooth conectivity between weapons and HUDs. (Imagine not having an ammo display if you take a rifle off of a dead body until you connect it.)

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker
1. The mission writing out of the way is much better.
2. I'm guessing the O2 pressure is the pressure in the suit. (Drops in the event of a suit puncture)
3. I don't think it's 90% blood O2 as much as 90% of the O2 tank is remaining.
4. By the year 2900+ I would expect the perfect anti-fog spray for your helmet to be available.
5. Maybe the Compass Degress will read or display differently if your environment changes. (i.e. Anywhere with gravity you have 001*- 360* and anywhere without gravity has another/different display/reading.
6. I love the way the map works. Hopefully it will have a little more of a easy to understand/read display in the future but I love the 3D style.
7. Love the idea of BluTooth conectivity between weapons and HUDs. (Imagine not having an ammo display if you take a rifle off of a dead body until you connect it.)
With you on the mission writing for sure. The scrolling and fading huge text we have now is more annoying than useful.

Already anti-fog spray invented today. I liked it more for cinematic feeelz. Was spooky and gave you a sense that you were a breathing human in a space suit. Reminded me of Metro 2033 and how you had to maintain your gas mask while fighting monsters.

The compass changing for gravity and no gravity would be a good idea. I still get lost all the time in a comm array...

Gun wi-fi is more a joke at all video game shooters. Still waiting for a shooter that adequately simulates Murphy's Law. If a trooper can break it, consider it broken! Seems like Dirty Harry asks if we punks feel lucky we answer, "yes, it says so on my HUD."
200_s.gif

The O2 thing is what I'm being a bit nit-picky about, I think. 90% Oxygen tank technically should be measured in pressure (psi here in the States, maybe different in metric?). But the other reading, 97% SpO2 doesn't make sense. It dropping for any extended period of time would be indicative of something like emphyzema, COPD, or something like that. Maybe in outer space terms, hypoxia from lack of O2. If the generic "pressure" reading is suit pressure, that just seems like a lot of extra info relating to your character's oxygen supply.

If the pressure is atmospheric pressure outside of the suit, wouldn't the reading in a vacuum be 0% and 100% be sea level? Not that that would mean you could breathe without an O2 supply. Kind of hoping "pressure" would not be a substitute for "gravity," but I'm not sure my physics know-how is up to par to know what it should be instead. Certainly seems like more info than one would need on the fly in a HUD, unless they are meaning different things in game terms like stamina and gravity (maybe).

Overall, an improvement and definitely better that some of the space helmets' pseudo binocular designs. Less HUD is usually better and too much HUD has a tendency to become a constant and intrusive tutorial mode. I would like to see the chat separated from the HUD, so you can still communicate while looking at glamour shots of your space boat, but maybe that is a different issue.

Perhaps I am being too curious about the lingo, but if it's not going to make sense, it might as well be "reverse polarity on the hyper dilithium spheres, Captain!"

(EDIT: TL;DR: @Beerjerker is like a clucking hen at a sewing circle when he's having his morning coffee, :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

Last edited:

Joehockey

Grand Admiral
Donor
Apr 8, 2017
RSI Handle
Joehockey
With you on the mission writing for sure. The scrolling and fading huge text we have now is more annoying than useful.

Already anti-fog spray invented today. I liked it more for cinematic feeelz. Was spooky and gave you a sense that you were a breathing human in a space suit. Reminded me of Metro 2033 and how you had to maintain your gas mask while fighting monsters.

The compass changing for gravity and no gravity would be a good idea. I still get lost all the time in a comm array...

Gun wi-fi is more a joke at all video game shooters. Still waiting for a shooter that adequately simulates Murphy's Law. If a trooper can break it, consider it broken! Seems like Dirty Harry asks if we punks feel lucky we answer, "yes, it says so on my HUD."
View attachment 6044

The O2 thing is what I'm being a bit nit-picky about, I think. 90% Oxygen tank technically should be measured in pressure (psi here in the States, maybe different in metric?). But the other reading, 97% SpO2 doesn't make sense. It dropping for any extended period of time would be indicative of something like emphyzema, COPD, or something like that. Maybe in outer space terms, hypoxia from lack of O2. If the generic "pressure" reading is suit pressure, that just seems like a lot of extra info relating to your character's oxygen supply.

If the pressure is atmospheric pressure outside of the suit, wouldn't the reading in a vacuum be 0% and 100% be sea level? Not that that would mean you could breathe without an O2 supply. Kind of hoping "pressure" would not be a substitute for "gravity," but I'm not sure my physics know-how is up to par to know what it should be instead. Certainly seems like more info than one would need on the fly in a HUD, unless they are meaning different things in game terms like stamina and gravity (maybe).

Overall, an improvement and definitely better that some of the space helmets' pseudo binocular designs. Less HUD is usually better and too much HUD has a tendency to become a constant and intrusive tutorial mode. I would like to see the chat separated from the HUD, so you can still communicate while looking at glamour shots of your space boat, but maybe that is a different issue.

Perhaps I am being too curious about the lingo, but if it's not going to make sense, it might as well be "reverse polarity on the hyper dilithium spheres, Captain!"

(EDIT: TL;DR: @Beerjerker is like a clucking hen at a sewing circle when he's having his morning coffee, :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)
From a scuba diving background the U.S. uses PSI whereas the metric version is Bar for the pressure reading. I guess it would be possible for SpO2 at 97% could be something like Suit Specific Pressure as in your suit is 97% of 1 atmosphere in pressure (14.7psi). That way you could maybe use SpO2 as an indicator of a suit pressure leak. OR SpO2 could be like a finger sensor reading the oxigenation of the blood. And they could treat it like the O2 sensor in a car. If you sprint for a long period of time your SpO2 drops a few percent until the suit increases the O2 rate creating a quicker use.

I guess technically you can have gravity without pressure considering the weight of earth's atmosphere is 14.7psi. So I guess you could have a lower atmospheric pressure for each planet. I doubt they will go into that much detail but it could be possible. I don't know if we need all 3 numbers though. Seems a little cluttered considering all the info we actually need.

Would be interesting if we could get the chat placed on an MFD in the cockpit or mobiglass rather than just part of the HUD.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
I leik new hud.

I think you could have different hud modes, like a general mode, a flight mode, a combat mode which you could switch through with a key. Eah mode emphasises slightly different things at slightly different sizes.

hardroc77

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 27, 2015
RSI Handle
hardroc77
Forgot your password?