Help needed! - 3D Models incl. textures in OBJ format!

Capt_Baldi

Grand Admiral
May 13, 2015
RSI Handle
Capt_Baldi
Hi guys!

I'm currently working on a small Star Citizen fan film, and I'm in need of a fully textured Constellation or Freelancer 3D model in *.OBJ!

I've read the thread about extracting the MESH from the Holoviewer on these forums, and so far that's working like a charm! But - It's without textures!

Does anyone know if it's possible to extract both the MESH and all of the textures from the game files/website or maybe even use the Cryengine to export something.
If it's possible to extract the textures themselves into like png files or simliar that would work as well.

I'm working with After Effects and Element 3D, so I'm not using a dedicated 3D program like Maya or Blender etc.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

Shive

Speed Devil
Staff member
Officer
Mar 9, 2014
RSI Handle
GOD_Shive
Kan ikke hjælpe desværre, men ville alligevel lige stoppe for at sige velkommen til test! :)

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
Several versions ago there was a way to extract models and textures directly from the local game files, but all that changed when the fire nation attacked I have not seen an updated method. Even back when you could extract the models, they were often "exploded" and you had to basically reassemble them in your 3D modeling suite of choice.

I don't know of a way to get the texture data along with models and the correct UV maps. If there is, whoever knows it hasn't been sharing that information.

I would also love to have textured models. I would much prefer to change the textures as I see fit and render out new TEST branded images instead of fiddling with photoshop until I get a "good enough" result. I work mostly with Maya (2014 & 2015 should that matter), but have a few other options, so I can do whatever fixing needs done to get the models ready.

Capt_Baldi

Grand Admiral
May 13, 2015
RSI Handle
Capt_Baldi
Kan ikke hjælpe desværre, men ville alligevel lige stoppe for at sige velkommen til test! :)
Tak ska' de ha'! :D

Several versions ago there was a way to extract models and textures directly from the local game files, but all that changed when the fire nation attacked I have not seen an updated method. Even back when you could extract the models, they were often "exploded" and you had to basically reassemble them in your 3D modeling suite of choice.

I don't know of a way to get the texture data along with models and the correct UV maps. If there is, whoever knows it hasn't been sharing that information.

I would also love to have textured models. I would much prefer to change the textures as I see fit and render out new TEST branded images instead of fiddling with photoshop until I get a "good enough" result. I work mostly with Maya (2014 & 2015 should that matter), but have a few other options, so I can do whatever fixing needs done to get the models ready.
Argh. I've seen that you can import the models fully textured into the Cryengine, so shouldn't there be a way to export them as well into different formats like the OBJ?
I'm simply asking because I just don't know the Cryengine or any of the dedicated 3D programs that well.

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
I'm willing to bet that if there's a way to get the files into Cryengine then theoretically they can be brought into other software. I'm at work all day until the meeting tonight, but if I have free time I'll try and find out how to import to cryengine and if it's possible to extract them from there.

If you find anything on how to do that I can focus on getting them extracted and converted into a standard file format.

Reactions: Capt_Baldi

Capt_Baldi

Grand Admiral
May 13, 2015
RSI Handle
Capt_Baldi
Awesome! Thanks!

The only video I've found showing how to import into the Cryengine is this one.

I'm taking the wife out tonight, so I won't be able to look into the Cryengine myself until tomorrow night or late tonight perhaps.

Forgot your password?