Hep me testies: Cutlass Blue or Naked Tali?

Zadig

Space Marshal
May 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Dreadmort
Well from my point of view it's simple and short... BEER.. :beers:

The Cutlass Blue.. (loaner is a black and that is soon done)
Now why? you can drive the Blue by your self and succeed really good in it, that's never gonna happen in the Tali that often on your own...
Tali you can probably pick up much easier than a Blue seem more rare to get hands on..
SO BLUE it is ...not the beer :P

CHEERS :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
Thanks for your reply :) ok roger that, beer it will be. I meant blue!

Zadig

Space Marshal
May 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Dreadmort
No, afaik AI Modules don't do that... it's already limited by the "has to be a manned turret" thing.

AFAIK the Tally was supposed to have S2 Guns but got restricted to S1 because S2 would clip... CIG said they wanted to fix that but I dunno if that idea has been given up.

Theoretically, it should be able to use Quad S1 Turrets just fine... which would be some massive pewpew.

The gun itself is great, but I hate Ballistic weapons and I also would prefer a bigger size rather than gimballed, since I'd fly a Fighter with Dual Sticks.
Ok that's good news then, but if AI modules do not decrease the turret, what would I crew the turret with potentially a worse NPC/player? Can't wait what CIG has to say on this.

Ballistic partially by-pass shields, why would you hate that? ^^ But it is true that not beening able to swap it for anything else can be frustrating. Still I am biased with the avenger... it is just so cool!

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker
Just spitballing here, but that's what you got to do when CIG slowly rolls out sometimes massive and unexpected changes.

The Retaliator, as beautiful as she is, has some major issues and will likely get some major fixes. Tight corridors with very little room to, for example, run the animation to access a locker much less walk past another player going a different direction. With the Eclipse reveal, seems the same size torpedoes can be fit in much smaller space, and the alternative modules (to my knowledge) are just concept art so far.
Having in no way heard this to be the case, I'd very much expect the interior to undergo major changes some time down the road. Though I believe the exterior will largely remain the same because she really is so very, very pretty.

The Cutlass Blue on the old and so sarcastically reliable stat page had a size larger shield than the Black. Also, Black had engines called "silent" though it never seems to get mentioned in stealth discussions anymore. The Blue's main engines, though still the same size have a higher number nomenclature than the Red, so maybe they are better. It was rumored in the forums to have heavier armor and be a sort of Super Cutlass, but I'm not sure this was ever confirmed by CIG themselves.
I don't think it would be unreasonable to expect the Blue to be tougher and perhaps faster (the different engines may have been completely forgotten) than a Black or Red, at the expense of the sneakier Black and medical focused Red. The only thing that gives me pause about this is that the Cutlass Black is really tanky right now. How much more tanky could the Blue be will be subject to debate when it gets released.

Both boats have potential, but both boats will require patience before you see that potential being realized. Though we will probably see the changes to the Blue before any word on the Tali. I wouldn't be surprised if, come game time (who knows when), you could get little prisoner cells to haul in cargo space so you could turn the Tali into makeshift bounty hunter boat or prison barge of sorts. I also wouldn't be surprised if options came along with auto-turrets or NPCs to make it pretty effective solo or with a small crew. However, the Blue will almost definitely work just fine solo or with a small crew.

If you can, I'd sit on both CCUs and not apply them until more is revealed. $0 CCUs will sooner or later become a thing of the past, probably get an expiration date with the 3.0 release and not be available for purchase anymore. So I wouldn't recommend applying one CCU and counting on a $0 CCU to the other if you decide to change your mind later. I'd also suggest keeping them in your actual hangar and not your buyback, as price changes do effect buyback prices on CCUs, though not standalone ships or packages.

So, TL;DR: After all that text, the best you get from me is a shrug. Ain't theorycraftology fun?

download.gif

Zadig

Space Marshal
May 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Dreadmort
Just spitballing here, but that's what you got to do when CIG slowly rolls out sometimes massive and unexpected changes.

The Retaliator, as beautiful as she is, has some major issues and will likely get some major fixes. Tight corridors with very little room to, for example, run the animation to access a locker much less walk past another player going a different direction. With the Eclipse reveal, seems the same size torpedoes can be fit in much smaller space, and the alternative modules (to my knowledge) are just concept art so far.
Having in no way heard this to be the case, I'd very much expect the interior to undergo major changes some time down the road. Though I believe the exterior will largely remain the same because she really is so very, very pretty.

The Cutlass Blue on the old and so sarcastically reliable stat page had a size larger shield than the Black. Also, Black had engines called "silent" though it never seems to get mentioned in stealth discussions anymore. The Blue's main engines, though still the same size have a higher number nomenclature than the Red, so maybe they are better. It was rumored in the forums to have heavier armor and be a sort of Super Cutlass, but I'm not sure this was ever confirmed by CIG themselves.
I don't think it would be unreasonable to expect the Blue to be tougher and perhaps faster (the different engines may have been completely forgotten) than a Black or Red, at the expense of the sneakier Black and medical focused Red. The only thing that gives me pause about this is that the Cutlass Black is really tanky right now. How much more tanky could the Blue be will be subject to debate when it gets released.

Both boats have potential, but both boats will require patience before you see that potential being realized. Though we will probably see the changes to the Blue before any word on the Tali. I wouldn't be surprised if, come game time (who knows when), you could get little prisoner cells to haul in cargo space so you could turn the Tali into makeshift bounty hunter boat or prison barge of sorts. I also wouldn't be surprised if options came along with auto-turrets or NPCs to make it pretty effective solo or with a small crew. However, the Blue will almost definitely work just fine solo or with a small crew.

If you can, I'd sit on both CCUs and not apply them until more is revealed. $0 CCUs will sooner or later become a thing of the past, probably get an expiration date with the 3.0 release and not be available for purchase anymore. So I wouldn't recommend applying one CCU and counting on a $0 CCU to the other if you decide to change your mind later. I'd also suggest keeping them in your actual hangar and not your buyback, as price changes do effect buyback prices on CCUs, though not standalone ships or packages.

So, TL;DR: After all that text, the best you get from me is a shrug. Ain't theorycraftology fun?

View attachment 6531
Thank you very much for your exhaustive reply.

I agree, in the future both boats will have great potential, right now I am craving for a decent flyable ship so I will stick to the cutlass. The Tali is indeed very pretty, I feel it will be a step up in the game, when I have enough resource to run a larger crew so starting with the smaller, more manageable cutlass makes sense. I'm sure that, when modules are released, we will see in the future prison cells to diversify the Tali's capabilities :)

At the moment I am sitting on the blue upgrade, will likely apply it after 3.0, when we finally can fly the black. I've read the articles 'sharpening the cutlass' and brochures, it seems the blue variant can be expected to better equipped than the black, (faster, more robust, more powerful, less sneaky should silent engines not be a thing anymore).

Ok thanks for the clarification about the 0$ CCUs, I was not counting on switching ships anymore, the point of this is choosing once and for all which of those two I am keeping... And the winner is the blue, for nearly all the reasons you quoted, and all the other ones above. Thanks again

I_MIKE_I

Space Marshal
May 7, 2016
RSI Handle
I_MIKE_I
Ok that's good news then, but if AI modules do not decrease the turret, what would I crew the turret with potentially a worse NPC/player? Can't wait what CIG has to say on this.

Ballistic partially by-pass shields, why would you hate that? ^^ But it is true that not beening able to swap it for anything else can be frustrating. Still I am biased with the avenger... it is just so cool!
The issue with AI is, that it can't interact with you like a player, nor can it make choices on it's own to adjust for the situation. Also, you'd lack the crew to possibly do other tasks when not using the Turrets, i.E. fight intruders or repair the Ship.

I also discovered that the Retaliator now can mount S2 Guns and even comes with CF-117 installed stock, which is another huge improvement over the original situation, where it could only use S1 because of clipping.

I also found a site called scdb which lists a few values of those Ships, for example their Healthpoints.
Comparing those of just the Main Ship Body:

Usual Fighters: around 1200
Cutlass Black: 6200
Vanguard: 7000
Constellation: 12000
Retaliator: 13500
Caterpillar: 15000
Starfarer: 27000

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker
The issue with AI is, that it can't interact with you like a player, nor can it make choices on it's own to adjust for the situation. Also, you'd lack the crew to possibly do other tasks when not using the Turrets, i.E. fight intruders or repair the Ship.

I also discovered that the Retaliator now can mount S2 Guns and even comes with CF-117 installed stock, which is another huge improvement over the original situation, where it could only use S1 because of clipping.

I also found a site called scdb which lists a few values of those Ships, for example their Healthpoints.

Just thought I'd reply to add links!
http://starcitizendb.com/ is very useful and they're keeping tabs on all stat changes as things change.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1S4faPZEwHBvimXa7_4bpdgnn3tWS_PWqGiXGkUWdn5A/edit#gid=998208401 (from same site), tabs on very bottom let you crunch the numbers on different components (weapons, missiles, etc.).

Reactions: Blind Owl

Zadig

Space Marshal
May 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Dreadmort

Damned there is a huge difference between healths ... It is good to know the Tali is getting S2 gunsAnyway I will start with the cutlass then, progress to the tali in game :)
thanks for your reply!

Zadig

Space Marshal
May 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Dreadmort

I_MIKE_I

Space Marshal
May 7, 2016
RSI Handle
I_MIKE_I

View attachment 6531
I think the Retaliator's Interior issue is a bit exaggerated... I mean, it's not like it's a completely unbearable thing with only downsides.

The many doors will provide some security against boarding and really it's not like your typical warship/submarine would give up anything regarding structural integrety for "spacious corridors to feel comfy in".

I also don't think people would walk around in it too much in actual Gameplay, it's just that currently we derp around in Ships because we have nothing to really do.

Last but not least... if we view it all by itself, other Ships for similar prices (Constellation, Cutlass Blue, Vanguard) don't offer much better Interior. The Connie is just a large open space and Cutlass Vanguard and Freelancer are just a Cockpit with a Storage or Multi-Purpose-Area behind it (overly simplified). And a lot of Ships like the Eclipse etc. don't have any Interior at all.

Oh... one thing I also like about the Tali: The Cockpit is quite cool IMO.

The Tali is indeed very pretty, I feel it will be a step up in the game, when I have enough resource to run a larger crew
I should mention, that I plan to use the Tali (if I buy it) as either solo Ship or to transport Passangers/Marines rather than having actual crew in the Turrets.

Forgot your password?