Here we go again. {:<

Vanguard vs. Connie.

• Connie owners deserve to have an "I WIN" button on every deck.

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Connie owners are living a pipe dream, thinking that they are somehow above all others.

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • I have no stake in this discusion and I couldn't care less how they end up balancing the Connie.

Votes: 16 51.6%

• Total voters

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim
WTF is wrong with Connie owners?

This, thread has come up and I get in a seriously bad mood after just 2 pages in.
When it comes to some better military ship (Retaliator) that threatens to destroy them, they cite rock/paper/scissors, how it will matter if the crew is good etc.
When the ship is slightly better military ship (Vanguard) then no way, it does not apply, they are somehow (magically) better than the ship who is specifically designed to destroy them.

First it was the Redeemer. (they kept saying it is a drop ship which it is not, it is a military attack gunship)
Then it was Retaliator. (they kept saying it is slow and that torps are meant for larger capital ships, which is nonsense. If I hit a fly with a hammer, it still dies horribly)
Now it is Vanguard. (they insist that their gazzilion missiles is going to matter much. Hello, countermeasures. and it is going to be a fight from behind again anyhow. Then they keep citing old stats like S6 shield lol).

When are they going to realize that these ships are made to kill Connies left and right?
Sure they have a chance if their crew is worth a damn, but only a chance.

What?
What is going to take?
An Idris?

Gimme a break ffs.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
The problem at the moment is that the game is only about shooting things or racing.

Nobody has anything else to worry about except whether or not their favorite ship can blow up other ships.

Reactions: Stalinator

Krystal LeChuck

Meme Meister
Staff member
Officer
Jun 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Krystal
AFAIK the only winner here is me, because this is actually a Star Citizen thread in a Star Citizen forum so I don't have to move it. You sir made my day!

Jul 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Salt_Lake
Vanguard is a military ship with little to no cargo. Connie is a civilian ship with tons of cargo. You trade combat ability for cargo space. The connie will make more money, vanguard will fight better. There is cons and pro's of every ship, just matters what you're willing to trade. My hornet costs more than a aurora, but the aurora hauls more. I don't expect a hornet to haul more than a aurora its a premier fighting ship not a utility vehicle.

Krystal LeChuck

Meme Meister
Staff member
Officer
Jun 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Krystal
Deadliest ship is Aurora.

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim
BTW, as Pheonix owner, I am confident that my ship can destroy any other ship out there because the stats say so.
Phoenix is different.
I am talking about base Andromeda model
The jesus model everyone thinks it is.

It is a glorified armed freighter.

Miguelese

Commander
Aug 29, 2015
RSI Handle
Miguelese
I am particularly [concerned] that the flimsy looking front end of the connie would be no good for ramming, someone needs to 10FTC about this oversight.

Serious Table

Admiral
Nov 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Serious_Table
Phoenix is different.
I am talking about base Andromeda model
The jesus model everyone thinks it is.

It is a glorified armed freighter.
Okay, I can't actually vote on the poll because the options are shitpost quality, but let's take a look at what's available on the Connie versus what's available on the Vanguard.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I own both a Constellation and a Vanguard. My "vested interest" is on both sides of the argument. We'll be running off of current stats, so these are obviously subject to change.

Connie is going to have 2 Size 4 turrets (likely 2x S2 guns) turrets; a Merlin with its own weaponry; a "Size 6" shield with whatever that translates to with the new system, likely a large at least; 4x Size 4 weapons on gimbal; and what should actually be paid attention to: 28 Size 1 missiles, and 20 Size 2 missiles.

Vanguard will come with 4x S2 guns on the nose; 1 S5 gun on the nose; an S2 turret; and 4... Size 2 somethings. Torps aren't Size 2, are they? WTF...; and a selection of Medium Shields. I think the last stats said 6? or something equally crazy.

Up the missile/torp armament for the Harbinger.

I think it's important to notice that the Constellation is really surprisingly armed for a civilian ship. I think if it was a Connie Andromeda versus a Vanguard Warden? I think it genuinely depends on how agile the Vanguard is, along with how agile the Constellation is. If the Vanguard can stay in a blind spot for the Connie? It's probably going to be in trouble, but the Merlin would help with keeping it from camping there. If the Vanguard is a Harbinger? I'd expect the Connie would be crippled or killed if it stayed in that same blind spot.

If the Connie "got the jump" on a Vanguard? I'd expect the Vanguard to be either chased off or destroyed, due to the Constellation's forward armament. If the Vanguard was a Harbinger and running head-on to the Constellation? I expect mutually assured destruction of the craft.

This is all conjecture based on assumptions made from existing stats and roles. This is my personal opinion and not the opinion expressed by TEST Squadron or TEST Squadron Affiliates. These options are subject to change as the game develops and the number of ships in my hangar fluctuates.

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim
What Connie is going to have is open for debate.
We will see the stats when they release the multicrew.
Untill then it is pure guesstimating and theorycrafting.

We know roles of both ships.
This is all that matters.

Connie is strictly Civilian vessel, Vanguard is solf off military surplus and it is made to fight ships like this and bigger.

They are simmilarily priced, only one is made to haul cargo for civilians, and other is purely made to kill for the military.

Now. If you are a developer, how would you balance these ships?
Set aside wishfull thinking and use logic.

D3Mark

Grand Admiral
Sep 24, 2014
RSI Handle
D3Mark
I'll throw my smuggler opinion into this thread:

This means you've already made up your mind and it's not worth debating.
He tends to do that, BUT HEY WHATEVER RIGHT?

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim
This has nothing to do with me or what I think.
It is pure logic.

I just wanted to point out how people easily abandon reason and logic.

D3Mark

Grand Admiral
Sep 24, 2014
RSI Handle
D3Mark
This has nothing to do with me or what I think.
It is pure logic.

I just wanted to point out how people easily abandon reason and logic.
Allow me to start a pissing match that totally doesn't matter on the internet: You did literally the exact same thing when I voiced my opinion in regards to the Merchantman not being a good smuggler ship.

And again, I will post this picture since this is entirely theorycrafting for something that isn't even going to be a reality for another several months if not a year or more.

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim
Allow me to start a pissing match that totally doesn't matter on the internet: You did literally the exact same thing when I voiced my opinion in regards to the Merchantman not being a good smuggler ship.

And again, I will post this picture since this is entirely theorycrafting for something that isn't even going to be a reality for another several months if not a year or more.

You have a point.
Only CIG has answers.

Forgot your password?